Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Twin Experience Living Thread  (Read 5117 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: My Africa Twin Experience Living Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:36 pm »
Subscribed.
Coming from the 990, do you not miss the ground clearance?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 01:36:49 pm »
Do yourself a favour and fit some protection to those header pipes, especially it you get rid of those crappy OEM tyres that puncture everytime you hit a rock.
I bought a motorradical kit from runner designed for a GS1200, but only used one piece. The other is yours if you want it.
Saturday I went and fetched some cattle with the truck. On the way home I was passed by a Cruiser with trailer behind. On trailer a brand new red AT with CAW plates. Yip flat front tyre. Cruiser owner was a farmer near Vermaaklikheid giving bike owner a lift to Jongensfontein.
Did not look like the guy had anything with him to fix flats.

Did the bike have original Dunlop Trailmax tyres fitted? They are absolute K@K. Check my post of a few month ago when Pebbles was stranded outside Honda Menlyn with a flat and they could not fix it.
I see someone trying to sell a set. I will grow potatoes in mine.
The issue was as soon as I fitted the TKC rocks kept bouncing off the header pipes, hence my mod.
Where are my shorts??

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 08:50:39 pm »
I need to post this:  A honest no bullshit review of the the twin after 50,000km in one year  :eek7:
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok, meurig, XRRX

Offline meurig

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 06:27:38 am »
I have watched all of his vlogs, very entertaining.  He is in South America now after doing the Long Way Down thing as well
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline SchalkL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:58 am »
Did a 300km ride yesterday with 911 Against farm atacks riders. All tar  :P and around 300km. Speed was fairly fast at mostly 155km/h but went up to 190 once or twice just for fun.
OK - Fuel : I am a little bit disappointed; I got 15km/L and although it was fast riding i expected a little bit more? The BMW1200's and Truimph 1200 with me got around 17-18km/L  :patch:
Oh, I did ride in Sport 1 as always and sometimes used the paddle shifts for fun  :lol8:

Next tar  :o trip i will try and stick to 140-145 and report back here.

Next Topic:

Just watched this video on changing the air filters (yes on both sides - I suppose thats a good thing)  - WHAT a mission  :-\

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:30:57 am by SchalkL »
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline Striggs

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2017, 06:59:47 pm »
Looking good Schalk, 2 points if I may:

1. There has been a fair amount of chat about the "GPS bar" breaking. Are you going to strengthen / reinforce yours?

After reading about the "gps bar" breaking and do a little research, I did not really find a solution to the issue.  I have a Montana mounted on mine and after approx 70km of gravel in Transkei, the LHS screen support strut broke off inside the fairing... a couple of cable ties later and it secured in position to stop the shaking. I have had this setup on all of my previous bikes and never had an issue. When I took it to local dealer, they welded it!!!  I queried if this should not be treated as a warranty issue? I'm still waiting for an answer  :patch:

I did read previously that someone had designed a support to strengthen this bar, I requested that he show us how? Never got a response? So if anyone has a suggestion as to how we can beef up the gps bar, please do share.. alternatively I will have to mount on handlebar..something I am loath to do...

Any ideas/ thoughts/comments?
GSA LC, Ducati Hyperstrada, Vespa 300 sport, KTM 250 xcw

Offline Striggs

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2017, 07:01:45 pm »
Has anyone changed those filters at a dealer, I nearly fell over when I got the bill...approx R700 each...

Offline Constantinople

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 05:44:25 pm »
Has anyone changed those filters at a dealer, I nearly fell over when I got the bill...approx R700 each...

Same price for the 250 Rally's air filter. At least I only have one!

Looking at the construction and looking at the air-box condition behind the filter after a dust sucking Kaokoland trip (rode 2nd and 3rd most of the time). These things are really effective! Zero dust.

Offline Losper

• Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 09:43:53 pm »
1. There has been a fair amount of chat about the "GPS bar" breaking. Are you going to strengthen / reinforce yours?
After reading about the "gps bar" breaking and do a little research, I did not really find a solution to the issue.  I have a Montana mounted on mine and after approx 70km of gravel in Transkei, the LHS screen support strut broke off inside the fairing... a couple of cable ties later and it secured in position to stop the shaking. I have had this setup on all of my previous bikes and never had an issue. When I took it to local dealer, they welded it!!!  I queried if this should not be treated as a warranty issue? I'm still waiting for an answer  :patch:
I did read previously that someone had designed a support to strengthen this bar, I requested that he show us how? Never got a response? So if anyone has a suggestion as to how we can beef up the gps bar, please do share.. alternatively I will have to mount on handlebar..something I am loath to do...
Striggs,  I attached 2x alu angles from the cross bar to the top of the plate behind the speedo.
My Montana is 100% stable, it works perfectly and the brackets is hardly visible.
Totaly happy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:15:42 am by Losper »
2016 Honda Africa Twin
2014 KTM 300 XCW
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

The following users thanked this post: Striggs

Offline SchalkL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 11:15:27 pm »
Striggs,  I attached 2x alu angles from the cross bar to the top of the plate behind the speedo.
My Montana is 100% stable, it works perfectly and brackets hardly visible.
Totaly happy.
:thumleft: That will work

Offline Striggs

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:32 am »
My Montana is 100% stable, it works perfectly and brackets hardly visible.
Totaly happy.

That's looks solid!   :thumleft:

Offline Losper

• Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 08:14:13 am »
Super solid,  works perfectly  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:14:45 am by Losper »
2016 Honda Africa Twin
2014 KTM 300 XCW
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 09:07:52 am »
Did a 300km ride yesterday with 911 Against farm atacks riders. All tar  :P and around 300km. Speed was fairly fast at mostly 155km/h but went up to 190 once or twice just for fun.
OK - Fuel : I am a little bit disappointed; I got 15km/L and although it was fast riding i expected a little bit more? The BMW1200's and Truimph 1200 with me got around 17-18km/L  :patch:
Oh, I did ride in Sport 1 as always and sometimes used the paddle shifts for fun  :lol8:

Next tar  :o trip i will try and stick to 140-145 and report back here.

Next Topic:

Just watched this video on changing the air filters (yes on both sides - I suppose thats a good thing)  - WHAT a mission  :-\

1200 engines don't have to work that hard, compared to a 1000 engine at high loads. But you should win again if you are cruising 120-140
2003 R1150GS

Offline charliepappa

• Life's a ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2017, 02:33:12 pm »
Baie geluk met die bike!!  :ricky:

Die DCT verbaas my nog elke keer as ek ry; kan net nie genoeg kry nie.
R1100S Sport, R1200GS Adventure, R1100S Boxer Cup, F650GS, KTM 950 SE, R1200GS LC, Africa Twin DCT

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 08:51:07 am »
I find your lack of updates disturbing   >:D

What sort of consumption do you guys get when riding relatively sedately? I struggle with the idea of commuting on a bike that won't give 25km/l
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:59:27 am by Dwerg »
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: G450X, F800GS, F650GS Twin, F650GS Single, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; Yamaha: BWS x 2, Chappy

Offline bud500

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 09:21:14 am »

What sort of consumption do you guys get when riding relatively sedately? I struggle with the idea of commuting on a bike that won't give 25km/l

1000cc+ bikes rarely give above 20km/l. Best I got was on my GS, 21km/l at a very sedate pace through LS.

But then again, I also never get close to some of the tyre mileage some people quote....
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2018, 09:31:38 am »

1000cc+ bikes rarely give above 20km/l. Best I got was on my GS, 21km/l at a very sedate pace through LS.

But then again, I also never get close to some of the tyre mileage some people quote....

Of course. Not saying it can or should it's just my personal mental block. Although the way I ride when I commute, most bikes should do well above 20
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: G450X, F800GS, F650GS Twin, F650GS Single, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; Yamaha: BWS x 2, Chappy

Offline RobLH

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2018, 09:35:42 am »
Mixed riding about 18 km/l, sedate gravel travel 20+

Pushing hard into a headwind (look away now) 12ish

Offline Mpandla

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2018, 11:13:04 am »

Average sits at just over 19km/l. Thats part open road, then part N1 traffic filtering. (fuel log average)
I do notice if you ride sedately over longer distances that it gets a lot better than 20km/l
Honda Africa Twin
Honda XR 400
Mpandla - The bald one

The following users thanked this post: Dwerg

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2018, 11:27:35 am »

My barber (haarkapper) also rides bike and eventually bought his dream bike, Hayabusa. Asked him what the fuel consumption is like and his answer: He has never ever tested any bikes consumption because he rides for the love and joy off it and does it everyday, only thing he does check is how many km's per tank so he can plan his bike trip fuel stops accordingly.  Maybe that's the way it should be done, after all we all ride because it's a passion!
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.