Does size ( I mean weight ) of an adventure bike really matter ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheepman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I don't mean to re - open the old power to weight ratio debate, which has no doubt led to thousands of pub indifferences and agreements  :pot:
However, I remain very aware of weight on an adventure bike, whether measured in pounds or kilogrammes or otherwise, as that aspect of an adventure bike remains very relevant,particularly if you hit single track,devil sand,landslide mud or really gnarly terrain on your trip.That very same tough and rugged beast full of technology, needs to be picked up if dropped and the more you drop it the more you have to pick it up. ( this is clearly not for the riding gods and wannabe riding gods who " never drop their bikes ", but just for us normal ous who do drop our bikes on the trial ).

So, as a point of departure, I list a few adventure bikes, all multi cylinders ( more than one ) and all capped at a litre in capacity, yet admit to have immediately broken my own rule by having sneaked in the 1090 R KTM in the fray  :laughing4: There is also a mix of the old and the new as well as  Japanese and European bikes :

1) BMW 800 GS - 178 kg dry
2) KTM 990 S    - 199 kg dry
3) TRIUMPH 800 XCX - 196 kg dry
4) HONDA CRF 1000L - ( manual basic ) - 208 kg dry
5) KTM 1090 R - 207 kg dry

Appreciate your views on adventure bikes on diet, or those with love handles  :laughing4: