The Gnarlster; HPN prototype in the making.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustdevil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
As many of you know, HPN have been the king of the airhead GS models. For many years I have maintained, that for the slight saving in cost of building a local frame it just simply did not justify the huge expense that usually goes with this kind build.
Lets face it; the HPN frame was in a league of its own and it was build to a standard that is almost unattainable by even some of the best builders out there like Gletter, Sheck and TAG.

Lately there have been a number of local guys that flanged together a couple of plates, most probable designed of of some pictures I have posted here on the Wild Dog forum showing some closeup detail of what it is that made the HPN frames so great.

Well I have had some of these frames in my hands and the work done on them were more akin to what one will find in a wrought iron shop than what can be expected from an engineering workshop that understood not only welding but also what is required to build a great motorcycle.
I will post some images of the frame in question so that I can highlight some of the mistakes sometime in the future.
I would also like to add that the costs for these inferior modifications were astronomical when compared to the cost of having HPN modify a frame.
I believe that some of these back yard welders used the HPN pricing as their guide without realizing the amount of work it takes to do it correctly. I will elaborate more later on.

The bottom line is that HPN's doors have practically closed to most except perhaps a few local customers, this as well as the ripping of by some local builders have prompted me to develop my own set of gussets and to weld it to an American frame that have been hanging of my roof trusses for a very long time.

I used a HPN frame to measure the gussets, this combined with my experience building a number of HPN models over the years, I believe have equipped me with enough knowledge to provide not only a few gussets welded to a frame but to supply a complete solution for the development of a functional rolling chassis which will have all areas covered like the swing arm, center and side stands as well as the subframe.

What will follow here is my story of building a GNARLY monster that might not even be allowed on regular roads. I want something that is both light and powerful, very basic with few additions like the ability to carry luggage racks and the usual paraphernalia. Small tank and no fairings.

Lets see where this road will lead.....

Attachments

• IMG_7132.JPG
    IMG_7132.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 1,059