Sputtering & farting ... now won't start (fixed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McSack

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
So I hadn't ridden the Sten for going on 8 weeks due to Quest and injury
Last week Thursday morning started her up 1st thing in the morning just to make sure, then gave here a good wash and rode out to Boksburg to collect a new tail light that had been lying at Shimwells waiting for me.
Withing a couple of blocks the bike started spluttering and farting at low revs (anything less than 3k). Disappeared on the freeway but returned once I started robot to robot once I took the offramp. Zak from the workshop took a quick look with the time permitting (and while they fitted the tail light for me) ... thought it might be water that got in somewhere so blew some air in all over the place
Rode in to work on Friday and problem was intermittent
Spent Saturday stripping the bike and cleaning all the contacts as well as giving the carb a good spray with carb cleaner . Also pulled out all the coils and gave them a good clean. Noticed a bit of moisture around the top of one coil and what looked like a bit of corrosion on the outside

Put everything back together and the bike seemed fine Sat afternoon on a short test ride round the block

Was going to ride Sunday morning but as I pulled out the driveway the spluttering started again and got steadily worse so turned back home and parked the bike intending to take out to Shimwells 1st thing Monday

No starty this morning when I tried to leave  :( .  Engine turns over and coughs a bit, but doesn't take

Any idea where I can start taking a look? Would prefer to fix myself so I learn a bit

If all else fails I guess I can get the AA to pick up and take to Boksburg