Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1090 R - Starting a new relationship  (Read 8721 times)

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
Re: 1090 R - Starting a new relationship
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2019, 11:16:21 am »
but I think the 1090R is the one.

Ek dink jou S gaan net coffeeshop trips doen na jy die 1090 aangeskaf het :deal: ;)

Ek sÍ sommer voorlopig geluk!! :thumleft:
Oom Chris ek moet nog eens die nummers maak klop, bank se gooi! Sal more Sien as ek in Brakpan noord is.
Maak net seker daai "demo" is nie n ex Limpopo bike nie, daai bike hou van sonder water loop!! :deal: :peepwall: ;)
Nee wat ek is Seker hy is nie, ken die baas van die winkel en ek is maar bang vir Limpopo Manne en holle fietse.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2019, 11:30:12 am »
but I think the 1090R is the one.

Ek dink jou S gaan net coffeeshop trips doen na jy die 1090 aangeskaf het :deal: ;)

Ek sÍ sommer voorlopig geluk!! :thumleft:
Oom Chris ek moet nog eens die nummers maak klop, bank se gooi! Sal more Sien as ek in Brakpan noord is.
Maak net seker daai "demo" is nie n ex Limpopo bike nie, daai bike hou van sonder water loop!! :deal: :peepwall: ;)
Nee wat ek is Seker hy is nie, ken die baas van die winkel en ek is maar bang vir Limpopo Manne en holle fietse.

Eerbare manne die lot van hulle, ma weet nie so mooi van die dealer. :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Noneking

1090 R - Starting a new relationship
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2019, 11:32:40 am »
@JK after reading your fread many times over I am about to take the plunge and buy a 1090R, I'm keeping my 990S though. Although not a new one, it's a demo bike. I considered the 1290R and even looked at 500, but I think the 1090R is the one. Please update this thread with new information, to help me convince myself that I've made the right decision. ;D

Glo nie jy sal spyt wees nie........

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:34:03 am by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2019, 11:39:23 am »
@JK after reading your fread many times over I am about to take the plunge and buy a 1090R, I'm keeping my 990S though. Although not a new one, it's a demo bike. I considered the 1290R and even looked at 500, but I think the 1090R is the one. Please update this thread with new information, to help me convince myself that I've made the right decision. ;D

Glo nie jy sal spyt wees nie........

Glo nie ek sal nie, maar dan moet ek ook so n fancy kletteren koop soos jy het :peepwall: :pot:
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Lear300

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2019, 09:50:06 am »
Ok finally got the GPS sorted. Have the Zumo 660 and previously on the 990 had it on the Ram mount and on the handlebar. Wanted to go for a in view position this time as the handlebar position is a bit of an issue when u are standing. Have to sit down to see the GPS.
So basically looked at 3 options:
* The KTM bracket
* The Touratech bracket
* The SW Motech bracket.
All 3 have the GPS mounted above the instrument cluster. Got some feedback from the 1290 crowd that fitted the KTM bracket that it is a little flimsy and shows some vibrations. Checked the 1090 KTM bracket and it is not as long as the 1290 bracket but still had some brace legs lifting the GPS up from the dash and thus i expected that it could also be prone to vibrating.
The Touratech bracket looked very naaice  :thumleft: but then i suspect its simply cause its Orange  >:D and luckily nothing is available  ;)
Settled then on the SW Motech bracket as its nice a low and no upright extensions lifting the GPS up. So far i am happy  :thumleft:. They could maybe have come up with a quick release setup that can assist to quickly adjust the angle. Now it is pretty much stuck in the position that u chose as u need to remove the screen and have a screwdriver to loosen and readjust.

where did you get the SW motech bracket from and how much was it if i may ask.
I have the KTM bracket, and you made the right call....the GPS shows plenty vibration. I am not happy with it and need a better option.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2019, 03:44:18 pm »
Ok finally got the GPS sorted. Have the Zumo 660 and previously on the 990 had it on the Ram mount and on the handlebar. Wanted to go for a in view position this time as the handlebar position is a bit of an issue when u are standing. Have to sit down to see the GPS.
* The KTM bracket
* The Touratech bracket
* The SW Motech bracket.
All 3 have the GPS mounted above the instrument cluster. Got some feedback from the 1290 crowd that fitted the KTM bracket that it is a little flimsy and shows some vibrations. Checked the 1090 KTM bracket and it is not as long as the 1290 bracket but still had some brace legs lifting the GPS up from the dash and thus i expected that it could also be prone to vibrating.
The Touratech bracket looked very naaice  :thumleft: but then i suspect its simply cause its Orange  >:D and luckily nothing is available  ;)
Settled then on the SW Motech bracket as its nice a low and no upright extensions lifting the GPS up. So far i am happy  :thumleft:. They could maybe have come up with a quick release setup that can assist to quickly adjust the angle. Now it is pretty much stuck in the position that u chose as u need to remove the screen and have a screwdriver to loosen and readjust.

I have the KTM bracket, and you made the right call....the GPS shows plenty vibration. I am not happy with it and need a better option.

Speak to @ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: Lear300

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2019, 08:54:24 am »
[

cable ties
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Lear300

« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2019, 09:11:00 am »
[

cable ties

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2019, 10:24:23 am »

I saw a guy on European forum that has 'stiffened' his OEM mount with plates and bolts, as below - he says it works well - I have the same mount, but don't use my GPS that much - might still try his modification

Offline Lear300

« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2019, 01:31:58 pm »
* The KTM bracket
* The Touratech bracket
* The SW Motech bracket.

ordered bracket from dustriders, paid the invoice, and box was on my desk the next day. very happy with their service.......now to fit it

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2019, 01:40:24 pm »
* The KTM bracket
* The Touratech bracket
* The SW Motech bracket.

ordered bracket from dustriders, paid the invoice, and box was on my desk the next day. very happy with their service.......now to fit it
Thank you for your support!! :thumleft: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline JK

« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2019, 06:11:03 pm »
* The KTM bracket
* The Touratech bracket
* The SW Motech bracket.

Up here in Gauteng i get the SW stuff from Kurt (Adventurer)
When u are on tar u are lost  !

The following users thanked this post: Lear300

Offline JK

« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2019, 09:00:39 pm »
So sorry been a while i actually updated about the relationship so here goes . . .

Top speed limiter issue as per here  - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=222278.0
So as noted in the tread after the fuel filter was removed the limiter was now gone and could see around 225km/h. But then around 26000km's the blerry thing came back again  :dousing:
I am suspecting the fuel filter is clogged up again and decided to wait for the 30000km service cause a fuel filter replacement was on the cards for this service . . .  :patch:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:25:33 pm by JK »

Offline JK

« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2019, 09:16:39 pm »
Tyres
So on the original TKC's started on 0km's and finished on 3400km's and the back tyre was gone. But remember i do commute every day 80kms on tar. Then fitted Pirelli Scorpion MT90's front and rear. They lasted 10000km's and was replaced with Mitas EO7 Front and rear - This is the normal EO7 not the new EO7Plus. Then had what seems the standard issue with the EO7 front constantly deflating but the back very impressively giving me 12000km's. Then went back to Pirelli MT90 for the front and very excitedly fitted the new EO7 plus on the back. As can bee seen on the photo it is not looking good.  :eek7: That is the state after 4600km's . . .  :patch: :( >:(

ANYONE KNOWS OF SOMEONE WITH OLD EO7's LAYING AROUND SOMEWHERE . . . :patch: :dousing:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:49:16 pm by JK »

Offline JK

« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2019, 09:24:45 pm »
Headlight cluster mounting bracket breaking off - As per confusingly discussed here  :ricky: - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=235921.0
So after almost a month very glad to have the 1090R back and as noted so far all good seems the mechies did a good job stripping and re-assembling my bike.
Complete frame replacement was done with a new frame being manufactured in Austria and re-stamped with the correct frame no and shipped back here.
Bike was completely stripped apart and new frame installed with also new steering bearings.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:28:36 pm by JK »

Offline JK

« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2019, 09:36:34 pm »
Camel Toe
Eish dont understand why it took me so long to realise the blerry lekker Camel Toe is eating into my centre stand. . . :-\

Offline JK

« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2019, 09:55:40 pm »
30000km Service
This is a "BIG" service so please do not be surprised with a " BIG" invoice. Not here to badmouth any specific dealer cause i did put feelers out and seems they are all pretty much in the same area when it comes to this service. So bar for the normal oil, oil filter and air filter if u are on standard and wash and oil of washable air filter if u are on these like Unifilter this time around spark plugs need to be changed as well as valve clearances needs to be checked. . . . :eek7: The labor hours to get the bike stripped down to were the valves both front and back cylinder can be checked and then re-assembled seems to be standard around 7 Hours. The bike has 4 spark plugs and just these are around R1000 for 4. On top of that the fuel filter needs to be replaced as well. Valve cover gaskets around R400 etc etc. So if u are doing a lot of dirt and it is n a group and u are not in front and riding in dust expect to maybe need shims to be done and then there is the Shim Kit at around R450.00. If not riding in a lot of dust then just checking clearances should be the only damage .

Offline JK

« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:31 pm »
I came away with just service, oil and oil filters, wash and oil of airfilter (Unifilter) sparkplugs replaced and shims were ok and fuel filter replaced.
Took note of the chain and sprockets and chain slider that was identified to need replacement URGENTLY,  but will do that myself

Offline JK

« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2019, 10:14:03 pm »
Chain and Sprockets
So as per the service km's this lasted 30000km's but to be brutally honest i could have given this system some close attention with regular (Every Sunday) oil etc and could maybe have gotten a bit more km's out of this. Got a quote on a new set and is roughly around R3000.00 for a KTM damped front sprocket and a KTM hard parts orange back sprocket and a 525 O-Ring chain.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:17:57 pm by JK »

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2019, 08:25:02 am »
If the bike is breathing enough dust to cause valve issues that is a big problem. That dust will be causing issues further in as well, rings etc.