Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1090 R - Starting a new relationship  (Read 8889 times)

Offline JK

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
Re: 1090 R - Starting a new relationship
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2017, 01:41:55 pm »
Ok finally got the GPS sorted. Have the Zumo 660 and previously on the 990 had it on the Ram mount and on the handlebar. Wanted to go for a in view position this time as the handlebar position is a bit of an issue when u are standing. Have to sit down to see the GPS.
So basically looked at 3 options:
* The KTM bracket
* The Touratech bracket
* The SW Motech bracket.
All 3 have the GPS mounted above the instrument cluster. Got some feedback from the 1290 crowd that fitted the KTM bracket that it is a little flimsy and shows some vibrations. Checked the 1090 KTM bracket and it is not as long as the 1290 bracket but still had some brace legs lifting the GPS up from the dash and thus i expected that it could also be prone to vibrating.
The Touratech bracket looked very naaice  :thumleft: but then i suspect its simply cause its Orange  >:D and luckily nothing is available  ;)
Settled then on the SW Motech bracket as its nice a low and no upright extensions lifting the GPS up. So far i am happy  :thumleft:. They could maybe have come up with a quick release setup that can assist to quickly adjust the angle. Now it is pretty much stuck in the position that u chose as u need to remove the screen and have a screwdriver to loosen and readjust.
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline JK

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2017, 01:54:15 pm »
The Touratech and KTM Brackets

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 01:55:22 pm »
did you power the GPS from ACC2 (off when IGN is off)?

Offline JK

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2017, 02:10:55 pm »

Jip  :thumleft: Eish quite job there to get to the wiring the 1st time you work there  ;)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2017, 02:21:53 pm »

Jip  :thumleft: Eish quite job there to get to the wiring the 1st time you work there  ;)

yes, it's quite a PIA - I need to open mine up again as I want to install some stuff and modify others, but will combine the job with checking the air filter as well  :thumleft:

Can't remember whole thread, but are you gonna fit different bulbs, maybe LED?

Offline JK

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2017, 02:55:06 pm »
Have not yet had to ride in the dark but coming off the 990 anything should be better  ;)
I will check and when the lights are not good enough anymore i will definitely  go find that LED fred yes   :thumleft:

Offline armpump

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2017, 03:06:01 pm »

Like this ?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2017, 08:09:02 am »
I can vouch that you made the right call on GPS bracket. the Touratech one is crappy unless you modify it whereafter it works a charm
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline JK

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2017, 04:23:22 pm »
I can vouch that you made the right call on GPS bracket. the Touratech one is crappy unless you modify it whereafter it works a charm

Yip very happy as we did some dirt and had no issues.

Offline JK

« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2017, 04:26:40 pm »
So we had our 1st lekker weekend dirt trippie.  :thumleft:  Nothing extreme but still enough to test the new baaik. JHB – Parys – Orkney – Klerksdorp. Lots of rain fell so we were very nervous of the conditions that was awaiting us, but we got lucky and ended up having an extremely lekker weekend.  :) Gravel managed to dry up enough to allow us to do some lekker speeds and yet still lots of water puddles all over to make it verryyy interesting.  >:D

Well must start off by noting that the 1090’s suspension is SORTED  :) :). As noted there roads never were gonna test the suspension travel much, but we managed to get up to some decent speeds and every now and then came up to quick on a waterhole or 2  The bike feels planted and the brakes definitely better than the 990. I have progressives on the 990 on the front and that made a huge improvement, but I think the 1090’s front is a little better still.

1st piece of dirt I accidentally put the baaik in Offroad mode   Must say that that is not something I would do a lot. ??? It definitely will not keep up with the 990 in Offroad mode . But in Street Mode with Traction control off and ABS in offroad mode WOW WOW .  :) >:D >:D The biggest part of the dirt is normal dual lane dirt roads, but at the end there is quite a bit of 2spoor more technical and tight track and here it did feel like the 125HP might become a bit of an issue.  8) Having the ABS always on on the front is a definite plus.

I like to stand a lot when on gravel and was nervous that I would miss the lekker narrow feel of the 990 where I squeeze the tanks with my knees when it gets rough. But the 1090 does not feel wide at all and the knee squeezing is actually better cause now the knees end up in that soft piece of the seat as opposed to the hard plastic tanks of the 990.

My brother was with us on his 990R and off course there was some dicing . . . Yep the 1090 has more power but eish I will forever miss the sound of those beautiful twin pipes.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Bundu

Offline JK

« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »
Must say thanks to Sprocketman that suggested the Desert Fox handlebar bag.  :thumleft:
Works lekker  :thumleft: :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Sprocketman

Offline JK

« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2017, 12:33:52 pm »
Then also started to move the mirrors of their standard clamp spots to stand alone clamps to save the master cylinders when the unfortunate happens.
Got them from Rad and they are around R70.00 each

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2017, 12:35:41 pm »
Pragtige fotos van die naweek trip. :peepwall: ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline JK

« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2017, 12:37:41 pm »
Little worried about the throttle side as it seems i would have to cut some of the original bracket in order to fit the stand alone bracket  :patch:
The stand alone clamp needs to in between the mirror and the switch setup.
Any of the clevva dogs know why KTM marries the switch and mirror together like that  ???

Offline JK

« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2017, 12:39:17 pm »

Offline Tabasco

« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2017, 12:58:11 pm »
Then also started to move the mirrors of their standard clamp spots to stand alone clamps to save the master cylinders when the unfortunate happens.
Got them from Rad and they are around R70.00 each
go to an Automotive Spares shop (once that sell the "pirate" body parts) and get a plastic retaining clip for that thread that is just a hole now.

The following users thanked this post: JK

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2017, 01:11:13 pm »
So we had our 1st lekker weekend dirt trippie.  :thumleft:  Nothing extreme but still enough to test the new baaik. JHB – Parys – Orkney – Klerksdorp. Lots of rain fell so we were very nervous of the conditions that was awaiting us, but we got lucky and ended up having an extremely lekker weekend.  :) Gravel managed to dry up enough to allow us to do some lekker speeds and yet still lots of water puddles all over to make it verryyy interesting.  >:D

Well must start off by noting that the 1090’s suspension is SORTED  :) :). As noted there roads never were gonna test the suspension travel much, but we managed to get up to some decent speeds and every now and then came up to quick on a waterhole or 2  The bike feels planted and the brakes definitely better than the 990. I have progressives on the 990 on the front and that made a huge improvement, but I think the 1090’s front is a little better still.

1st piece of dirt I accidentally put the baaik in Offroad mode   Must say that that is not something I would do a lot. ??? It definitely will not keep up with the 990 in Offroad mode . But in Street Mode with Traction control off and ABS in offroad mode WOW WOW .  :) >:D >:D The biggest part of the dirt is normal dual lane dirt roads, but at the end there is quite a bit of 2spoor more technical and tight track and here it did feel like the 125HP might become a bit of an issue.  8) Having the ABS always on on the front is a definite plus.

I like to stand a lot when on gravel and was nervous that I would miss the lekker narrow feel of the 990 where I squeeze the tanks with my knees when it gets rough. But the 1090 does not feel wide at all and the knee squeezing is actually better cause now the knees end up in that soft piece of the seat as opposed to the hard plastic tanks of the 990.

My brother was with us on his 990R and off course there was some dicing . . . Yep the 1090 has more power but eish I will forever miss the sound of those beautiful twin pipes.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

And how is the new baaik at dicing in Klersdorps streets?
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MτRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Offline armpump

« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2017, 07:11:54 am »
Little worried about the throttle side as it seems i would have to cut some of the original bracket in order to fit the stand alone bracket  :patch:
Any of the clevva dogs know why KTM marries the switch and mirror together like that  ???

Extra securing so throttle mech does not rotate.

Nice thing about moving brake res in is the lever ends move further away from touching hand guards which helps in case of a tip over

Offline JK

« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2017, 08:31:12 am »

Extra securing so throttle mech does not rotate.

Nice thing about moving brake res in is the lever ends move further away from touching hand guards which helps in case of a tip over
:thumleft: Yes will def help
Surely the clamp screws on the switch unit should be sufficient to hold everything in place ?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:32:06 am by JK »

Offline armpump

« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2017, 12:12:46 pm »
Can't see why not.

Also want to move my levers in a little at some stage.