Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.  (Read 34120 times)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2017, 08:45:36 pm »
Wow! What a great read with my first morning coffee.  :thumleft:
.............and magnificent pictures too!!

Thanks jaybiker, much more to come.

Very interesting read, thanks!

Thanks Fudge, much more interesting things to come.  Enjoy  :thumleft:

Thanks for posting very interesting  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks BMWPE, I'm just getting started, much more cool things coming up. 
I知 da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2017, 07:42:44 am »
hey BO

great stories and pics

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2017, 10:47:09 pm »
hey BO

great stories and pics

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks Punsher, I hope you're feeling better!

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2017, 06:11:31 pm »
This RR is like payday. Lots of action on the day ........and then nothing until next payday.

Come on Yankee-doodle-dum where is the rest?

Sent from my SM-J510F using Tapatalk

Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #244 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:01 pm »
O by the way thanks for posting your RR.

Sent from my SM-J510F using Tapatalk

Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2017, 12:40:42 pm »
This RR is like payday. Lots of action on the day ........and then nothing until next payday.

Come on Yankee-doodle-dum where is the rest?

Hey snappa hed  :kermit:, apparently I didn't realize I was editing pics and posting according to your timeline  :jerk: :jerk: :clock: :pot: 8) >:D  :peepwall:  8)  >:D >:D :lol8:

Of what incestry, excuse me, ancestry does your bloodline lie?  And how tall are you, Skaiidawg?  :pot:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:52:15 pm by big oil »

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #246 on: December 29, 2017, 12:45:22 pm »

You're welcome sweetie pie, now put it back in your pants, soldier. 

You keep talking to me like this and I am going to start thinking you're going to pucker up like a snare drum and ask me to dinnna.  :pot: :pot:  :3some:  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:51:33 pm by big oil »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #247 on: December 29, 2017, 01:06:06 pm »

You keep talking to me like this and I am going to start thinking you're going to pucker up like a snare drum and ask me to dinnna.  :pot: :pot:  :3some:  :biggrin:
Yeah normally I bring out the best of yer old manly folks feminine side  :biggrin:... so get on yer 2 finger keyboard and start posting Yooper boy  :laughing4:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #248 on: January 02, 2018, 08:39:00 am »

Yeah normally I bring out the best of yer old manly folks feminine side  :biggrin:... so get on yer 2 finger keyboard and start posting Yooper boy  :laughing4:

SIR, YES SIR. 

Working on pics, next installment should be ready in a few days.

I've been preoccupied over the holidays.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #249 on: January 02, 2018, 09:52:17 am »
Pre-occupied or pretty occupied or occupied by pretty?
Waiting impatiently!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2018, 11:01:34 am »
Pre-occupied or pretty occupied or occupied by pretty?
Waiting impatiently!

All of the above  :ricky:

I'm working on getting the next post ready. 

I love to read about your country, so I want you Dogs to enjoy reading about mine, so I try to come up with informative selections to add to the report.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2018, 12:01:46 pm »
I awoke at the butt crack of dawn, colder than a witches tit in a brass bra.  My tent was not more than 30 yards from the cold Lake Huron waters.  I should have found a camp spot more inland.  The first thing I did was fire up my Jetboil to warm my hands, then boiled some fresh water, added some fresh ground coffee named 'Campfire Dark Roast', and used my French press.  Oh it was delicious, must have been about 120 octane.

After a giant mug of the high octane coffee, I wrapped up camp, and was on my way via M134 to the most eastern point in Upper Peninsula Michigan, afaik, Drummond Island.  As you will see in the map below, the boundary line between Ontario, Canada and Michigan, USA is on the waters in Lake Huron between Drummond Island and Cockburn Island.  What a name for an island, lol.  Which Canuck came up with the name Cockburn for an island??

Detour village is found on the eastern most point of the mainland Upper Peninsula.  It's a nice little port village.

I rode down to the ferry to see if I could board the vessel to Drummond Island.  There was already a line waiting, but they weren't going to set off for another 45 minutes.  It was nice seeing 'Old Glory' flying proudly on the bow and near the wheelhouse.

The waters had an early morning calm.

A quarry on the western shoreline of Drummond Island.

Drummond Island Township, Michigan

is a civil township of Chippewa County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 1,058 at the 2010 census.

The township consists of Drummond Island, one of the largest islands in Lake Huron.  M-134 runs through the western portion of the island. The highway connects with the mainland portion via the Drummond Island Ferry, which runs between De Tour Village and the island.

On the east side of Drummond Island, the Canada剖nited States border passes through the False Detour Channel. On the other side of that channel, the Canadian Cockburn Island separates Drummond from Manitoulin Island.

Drummond is an unincorporated community within the township, situated on Potagannissing Bay on the northwest side of the island at 46ー01′12″N 83ー43′52″W.   M-134 ends south of the community.

The township and island are named after Gordon Drummond, who was the first Canadian-born officer to command the military and the civil government of British Canada. As Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, Drummond distinguished himself on the Niagara front in the War of 1812 and later became Governor-General and Administrator of Canada.  The Ojibwe name for the island is Bootaagan-minising (syncope as Bootaagan-mnising  recorded as "Potagannissing"),  meaning "at the Mill Island". 

History

The history of Drummond Island dates back centuries, but more recent history of the past 200 years relates to the British occupation of the island during and after the War of 1812. The island was the last British outpost on American soil following the Treaty of Ghent (1814). It was finally returned to American hands in 1828.  Drummond Island is the only island in the Manitoulin island chain which is part of the United States.

British and American negotiators to the 1814 Treaty of Ghent ended the War of 1812 by offering no territorial concessions to either side, but returned to those boundaries set by the Treaty of Paris of 1783. But, in order to resolve territorial claims that had precipitated the war, negotiators at Ghent established a process whereby commissioners would survey the boundary to determine the borders envisioned in the original treaty.

St. Joseph, Drummond and Cockburn islands and the placement of the international boundary agreed to in 1822 and 1842
Beginning in August 1820, two teams of surveyors, including British explorer and cartographer David Thompson, mapped the area of St. Joseph Island, Drummond Island, and Lesser and Greater Manitou Islands (today Cockburn and Manitoulin islands). Mapping this corner of Lake Huron was a challenge given that little was known about the shores and depths of the channels between the islands. The agent for the United States survey team, Major Joseph Delafield, complained, "No map that I have seen has any truth as it respects the position of Drummond's or the other islands about St. Marys. We entered this bay without a pilot, but are told we cannot proceed up river without one."

Based on the surveys taken in the summers of 1820 and 1821, and guided by the Commission's two principles that the boundary would not divide islands and that the number of islands would be apportioned equally between the two countries,  in November and December 1821, commissioners agreed to grant St. Joseph Island and Cockburn Island to Canada and Drummond Island, which lies between them, to the United States.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 249.0 square miles (644.9 km2), of which 128.9 square miles (333.9 km2) is land and 120.1 square miles (311.0 km2), or 48.23%, is water.  The island is dominated by forest, with cliffs on the eastern side, which are part of the Niagara Escarpment.

Over two thirds of the island is a state park whose land is owned by the state of Michigan.  The island hosts a very rare environment known as alvar, a grassy limestone plain found only in a few places worldwide.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 992 people, 467 households, and 309 families residing in the township. The population density was 7.7 per square mile (3.0/kmイ). There were 1,476 housing units at an average density of 11.4 per square mile (4.4/kmイ). The racial makeup of the township was 90.83% White, 0.20% African American, 4.84% Native American, 0.10% from other races, and 4.03% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.71% of the population.

After visiting De Tour Village, I turned around and rode west towards Port Dolomite, Michigan.  I stopped at the enormous Carmeuse Lime & Stone quarry to snap a few pics of the operation.  I wonder what kind of minerals they process? :dontknow: 

Carmeuse Lime & Stone Corporation.  Did any of you notice what is located at the bottom middle of the pic above?

Can you see the Loon in the pic below?  Loon is located just above the tallest weeds in the foreground of the pic. 

Loons are a majestic bird with a lovely sounding call.

Loon with her chick swimming close by.

Loon chicks saddling their mother.  Appears the chicks are bickering at one another about who received the biggest portion of food at last feeding!!

Loon call.  When camping near a lake in Michigan or Canada, you will most likely hear them call, sometimes during the night.  What a beautiful call they have.

A couple of zoomed in pics of the quarry.

If I were to name this picture, I'd name it; "Nature Will Find a Way".  Trees growing from gravel.

By the way, I was wondering above if you'd noticed the enormous ore freighter docked at the quarry dock.

You can actually see the minerals being dumped into one of the several holds in this pic.

This riding day to be continued.  I have the report ready, though I'll wait until this page fills with comments as to not clog the page with too many pickchas.....................

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:15:30 pm by big oil »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2018, 12:59:10 pm »
I wonder what kind of minerals they process? :dontknow: 

From Wiki I got this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Limestone_and_Chemical_Company

Uses
The limestone produced at Michigan Limestone is high quality and almost pure white.[8] Steel mills added limestone to molten iron in the blast furnaces. It is used to carry away impurities in the process of making steel.[8] The material is also in widespread use in making cement. The limestone also produces just pure lime, which is used in everything from glass manufacturing, paint fabrication, baking powder assembly and ammonia production.[8]

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2018, 01:06:52 pm »
And here's me, reading up on "crazy as a loon"... ::). If you're wondering: https://idiomation.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/crazy-as-a-loon/

Thanks for da pictures and history  :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2018, 01:39:50 pm »
I wonder what kind of minerals they process? :dontknow: 

From Wiki I got this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Limestone_and_Chemical_Company

Uses
The limestone produced at Michigan Limestone is high quality and almost pure white.[8] Steel mills added limestone to molten iron in the blast furnaces. It is used to carry away impurities in the process of making steel.[8] The material is also in widespread use in making cement. The limestone also produces just pure lime, which is used in everything from glass manufacturing, paint fabrication, baking powder assembly and ammonia production.[8]

Thanks for your contribution, Sir Skaiidawg.  I was joking when I posted that question.  The quarry does in fact excavate dolomite and limestone. 

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2018, 01:43:01 pm »
And here's me, reading up on "crazy as a loon"... ::). If you're wondering: https://idiomation.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/crazy-as-a-loon/

Thanks for da pictures and history  :thumleft:

I'm a bit looney sometimes myself, Madam Ri, sounds better than Miss RI misery  :biggrin:

You're very welcome.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:44:30 pm by big oil »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2018, 04:57:43 pm »
I was joking when I posted that question.
Serious?....I thought you were joking!  :imaposer:

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »
That bird does indeed have a lovely call. Thanks for posting .. keep it coming  :thumleft:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2018, 05:26:22 pm »
I was joking when I posted that question.
Serious?....I thought you were joking!  :imaposer:

Seriously  :thumleft:  I was hoping someone would say, hey you dumbphuck, BO, I would assume Carmeuse Lime in Port Dolomite, Michigan digs Limestone and Dolomite. 

You dogs are too nice to me.  I'm not used to this type of kindness  :imaposer: 

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2018, 05:28:23 pm »
That bird does indeed have a lovely call. Thanks for posting .. keep it coming  :thumleft:

Oh yes they do.  They are such a beautiful bird to view and their call is so different from anything I've ever heard from a bird or goose.