Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.  (Read 34202 times)

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2018, 05:48:35 pm »
I'm a bit looney sometimes myself, Madam Ri, sounds better than Miss RI misery  :biggrin:

Aren't we all  >:D And at the end of a long, tiring and trying day, Ms Ri is exactly what I feel :lol8:

Here's the call of Africa:

There is a breeding pair in Zevenwacht, just over the hill from where I live, and I often hear their calls. Not as eerily beautiful as the loon (and vaguely similar to wolf howl), but also striking.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2018, 06:32:08 pm »
I'm a bit looney sometimes myself, Madam Ri, sounds better than Miss RI misery  :biggrin:

Aren't we all  >:D And at the end of a long, tiring and trying day, Ms Ri is exactly what I feel :lol8:

There is a breeding pair in Zevenwacht, just over the hill from where I live, and I often hear their calls. Not as eerily beautiful as the loon (and vaguely similar to wolf howl), but also striking.

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Beautiful eagle.
I知 da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2018, 08:00:49 pm »
Ok that page is now filled, why are we waiting? :peepwall: :pot:
I enjoy your reports. :thumleft:
Thanks for giving us insight into your world!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2018, 09:12:44 pm »

I'm only responding to fill up the page, see? So you can continue your report :biggrin:

The fish eagle is huge! A young one sadly drowned in a dam on my brother-in-law's farm in the Northern Cape, and he'd thrown it over a nearby bush. I went to have a look, and grabbing it by the talons, holding it waist height, it's head almost touched the ground, and it wasn't even fully grown :o

Heartbreaking to see such a majestic animal dead  :'(
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2018, 08:24:51 am »

I traveled to Battle Creek, Michigan aka Cereal City yesterday.  Nicknamed Cereal City because the 2 largest cereal corporations in our country are located there, Kellogg's Cereal Co. and Post Cereal Co.  Kellogg's began by accident back in the 1800's when the founder and his brother accidentally flaked wheat berry.  That led to the ability to flake corn wheat and the rest is history.  The company has revenues of close to $15 billion usd per year while net income is around $2 billion usd per year.

A little reading about each, if you wish, Sir Oubones:

Kellogg's-

https://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/who-we-are/our-history.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg%27s

Post-

https://www.postconsumerbrands.com/timeline/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Consumer_Brands

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2018, 08:27:57 am »

I'm only responding to fill up the page, see? So you can continue your report :biggrin:

The fish eagle is huge! A young one sadly drowned in a dam on my brother-in-law's farm in the Northern Cape, and he'd thrown it over a nearby bush. I went to have a look, and grabbing it by the talons, holding it waist height, it's head almost touched the ground, and it wasn't even fully grown :o

Heartbreaking to see such a majestic animal dead  :'(

I have seen Bald Eagles up close.  It is difficult to grasp just how long their wingspans and how large the talons.  Majestic animals.

Online Oubones

« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2018, 08:44:21 am »

I traveled to Battle Creek, Michigan aka Cereal City yesterday.  Nicknamed Cereal City because the 2 largest cereal corporations in our country are located there, Kellogg's Cereal Co. and Post Cereal Co.  Kellogg's began by accident back in the 1800's when the founder and his brother accidentally flaked wheat berry.  That led to the ability to flake corn wheat and the rest is history.  The company has revenues of close to $15 billion usd per year while net income is around $2 billion usd per year.

Kellogg's-

Post-

Yip Kellogs is one off the examples of being good and being successful!
Only one thing wrong there, I eat weetbix :imaposer: :pot:
Very interesting though, time for you to travel now! :thumleft: :sip:
I have my Coffee and Weetbix.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2018, 09:09:52 am »
From Port Dolomite, Michigan, I continued riding east toward Les Cheneaux Islands.  On the way I stopped to photograph the northern shores of Lake Huron, at a roadside park.

As you can see, the sun is just coming up, its rays sending some much needed warmth to my body.  I found this spot to be spectacular.  Eerily quiet, just the sound a few birds flying around in the pine trees nearby.  I sat on the park bench without a care in the world, basking in natures glory, taking it all in.  Watching the calm breeze move the lovely colorful flowers with such fluidity.  Feeling grateful for life and the ability to ride a motorbike to faraway places. 

Is there a better way to travel?  The ability to fly like a bird through the crisp cool air, smelling the pine forests that seem endless, seeing all the beauty to the sides, above, front with no walls or glass obstructing my view, keeping a light grasp on the handlebars, feeling the road through my hands and feet, while hearing the engine produce its internal combustion symphony.  All 5 senses working with perfect continuity, brain flooded with serotonin, heartbeat gets faster with a tug on the throttle. 

Glorious feeling it is, right WildDogs?  Yeah, that's what I'm thinking on that little bench next to the magnificent body of water before my eyes.

A lone island in the distance.  Wondering how nature can withstand the violent storms with massive waves these vast bodies of water can produce. 

The beautiful blue waters formed millennia ago by massive polar ice melting.  A sailboat in the distance, simply propelled by wind, moves across the blue horizon.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:10:17 am by big oil »

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2018, 09:15:47 am »

Kellogg's-

Post-

Yip Kellogs is one off the examples of being good and being successful!
Only one thing wrong there, I eat weetbix :imaposer: :pot:
Very interesting though, time for you to travel now! :thumleft: :sip:
I have my Coffee and Weetbix.

Coffee sounds good.  Now, I must go to the kitchen, brew a pot, heat a little cream, and add a splash of Kentucky Bourbon to get my day started off right  ;) :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:18:57 am by big oil »

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2018, 11:19:50 am »
Okay, where was I?  Yes, carry on with the reporting.

From the roadside park, I continued east via M-134 to the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Nice signage adjacent to the road, welcoming visitors to such a beautiful area.  Appears the sign has lost an 'O'.

Aerial G map view.

Sky view.  Pics borrowed from the net.

Les Cheneaux Islands

(French: "The Channels") are a group of small islands, some inhabited, along 12 miles of Lake Huron shoreline on the southeastern tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the United States. The name is French for "the Channels", noting the many channels between the islands in the group. They are about 30 miles northeast of Mackinac Island and about 35 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie. The islands are a popular resort and boating and kayaking area. The nearby communities of Hessel and Cedarville on the mainland offer marinas, camping, lodging, restaurants, and shopping. The Les Chenaux Islands Antique Boat Show & Festival of the Arts has been held on the second Saturday of each August since 1976 in Hessel. It is the world's largest antique wooden boat show.

Les Cheneaux Ensign Class: Fleet 31

The Les Cheneaux Islands are home to Fleet 31 of the Ensign Class. The fleet sails out of the Les Cheneaux Yacht Club  located on Marquette Island. It is the largest fleet of ensigns worldwide, featuring 64 boats sailing as of summer 2008. Fleet 31 hosted the 2008 Ensign Class Region V Championships on July 1012, 2008. Fleet 31 was selected by the Ensign Class Association to host the National Ensign Regatta in 2010.

Origin of Les Cheneaux Island Names

Alligator Island
From its shape, also known as Echo Island.

Bear Island
Origin of name unknown probably on account of some early adventure of a hunter with a bear.

Birch Island
From a former dense growth of birch trees on this island.

Boot Island
From its shape.

Coryell Island
From W. H. Coryell, owner, an early pioneer and homesteader.

Dollar Island
From the fact that it was first bought at government sale at that price.

Dot Island
From its small size and circular shape, ad-joins St. Ledger痴 Island.

East Entrance
One of the three channels navigable for large boats, east of Boot Island. The other two are Middle Entrance and West Entrance.

Echo Island
Opposite Club Point, so named by early Les Cheneaux club members by reason of the echo heard from the club house grounds before a fire destroyed part of the timber, known also as Alligator Island on account of its shape.

Goose Island
So called as early as 1784, probably from the abundance there at one time of wild geese. Formerly known as 的sle aux Outardes an early French name for Goose Island that likely references the former 撤oint Aux Outardes, near Hessel, mentioned by Henry R. Schoolcraft, in an account of his September 1825 voyage from Mackinac Island to Sault Ste. Marie in 典hirty Years with the Indian Tribes. Schoolcraft was stormbound in the Les Cheneaux Islands, on a point he called 徹utard (possibly Point Brulee or Fuyards), and he wrote a poem about the experience entitled 徹utard Point.

Fenlon痴 Island
Opposite Hessel from Mr. Edward P. Fenlon, present owner, son of the pioneer of the same name. Known also as Haven Island.

Grover痴 Island
From Frank R. Grovcr, who obtained the patent from the government, same as Grover and Wheeler痴 Island, and so appearing on the government map.

Government Island
Same as 的sland No. 6. Owned and used by the United States in the construction of Spectacle Reef and Martin Reef lighthouses, as well as the quarrying of rock for lighthouse purposes. Name of 敵overnment Dock (a former dock) on the east side of this island same origin. Here the rock for Spectacle Reef lighthouse was quarried and shipped, while parts of the lighthouses were constructed on the island. On the government map of the land surveys of 1840-46 appears the notation 的sland No. 6 permanently reserved for lighthouse purposes. Government Island is now part of the Hiawatha National Forest, and is used for recreation and is completely open to the public.

Haven Island
Opposite Hessel, formerly known as Fenlon痴 Island.

Hill痴 Island
From Mason Hill. (also Hill Island)

Islands Number
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 so named upon maps of government surveys (of 1840 and 1845), as one informant says, 努hen the surveyors ran out of names.

適ee-way-din Island
(The Home of the North West Wind) from Hiawatha, same as Rogers Island:

Lake Huron
From the Huron Indian nation: called also by Champlain 溺er Douce (freshwater sea): Shown on Hennepin痴 map as 鏑ake Huron or Karegnondi, the latter designation the Indian name in 1679 according to Hennepin; known also by very early writers as 鏑ake Orleans.

Little Island
Near St. Ledger Island, former property of Mrs. Nathalie Buchanan, of Louisville, Kentucky.

La Salle and Little La Salle Islands
From the explorer, date first so called unknown, probably from very early
times. Outline (but not name) shown on Jesuit maps of 1 6707 1. The larger one of the two islands designated upon the maps of government survey of 1840 and 1845 as 藻La Salle Island.

Lone Susan Island
From Susan Gesish, an Indian woman who camped there. Name first given by Capt. C. K.
Brandon of Detroit, former Vice-President of Les Cheneaux Club, one of its most respected members, now deceased, who built the first cottage at Club Point, and was a charter member of Les Cheneaux Club.

Long Island
From its shape, known also as Seiberling痴 from its former owner, Mr. Frank A. Seiberling, of Akron, Ohio. Its original name is 的sle Cauk-gb-nah-gwah an Ojibway name for the fish commonly known as the bull Head, as the outline of this island closely resembles the shape of that fish, and the bay at southerly end of the island representing the open mouth of the fish.

Marquette Island
From Father Marquette, date first so called unknown, but quite accurately designated (but not by name) on maps drawn by Father Marquette himself in 1670 and 1673, designated upon maps of U. S. land surveys of 1840 and 1845 as 溺arquette Isle. Now home of the Aldo Leopold Preserve, named for the renowned naturalist who spent his summers here as a boy.

Middle Entrance
One of the three channels navigable for large boats and located between Marquette and Little LaSalle Islands.

Pollock痴 Island
A small reef due north of Club Point from John Pollock, a former Les Cheneaux Club caretaker and marshal, owner of an adjacent farm on the mainland, who claims title by right of first discovery and possession (in a year of low water).

Roger痴 Island
From its owner, Mr. James H. Rogers, of Cleveland, Ohio; same as 適ee-way-din Island.

Rover Island
Origin unknown.

St. Ledger Island
From Michel Saint Ledger, a fisherman, so named by first Les Cheneaux Club officers as a compliment to St. Ledger.

West Entrance
One of the three channels navigable for large boats, between Point Brulee and Coats Point.

White Loon Island
Near and adjoining Saint Ledger痴 Island, formerly the property of Mrs. Nathalie Buchanan, of Louisville, Ky.

The island chain forms many bays, harbors, and inland lakes, including:

• Bass Cove Lake
    Bush Bay
    Cedarville Bay
    Duck Bay
    Flower Bay
    Government Bay
    Mackinac Bay
    Marquette Bay
    McKay Bay
    Melchers Bay
    Mismer Bay
    Muscallonge Bay
    Peck Bay
    Prentiss Bay
    Sand Bay
    Scammons Harbor
    Sheppard Bay
    Urie Bay
    Voight Bay
    Wilderness Bay

Can you remember all these island, bays, lakes, and harbors?  There will be a quiz at the end of the report.  Anyone that can recite all the Les Cheneaux island, bay, lake and harbor names will be provided an all expense paid fine dining experience with me at Wimpy's when I visit South Africa. 

I stopped for a little break at a museum to view a collection of old shipping, dredging, and sailing relics.  Per the story of my life, it was not open yet.  Oh well, I'll enjoy what they have on display outside and not have to deal with any tourists. 

Buoys.  I was thinking about how much beer one of these could hold.

My what a big chain you have anchor.  I hear that a lot  :laughing7:  :peepwall:

An old lifeboat on display?  I don't know for sure.

I stood there admiring this contraption.  Scratching my head really, could not for the life of me figure out why they would need such a large propeller to power a wooden pole through water.  And just look at the clearance between the bore and the output shaft,  Not very tight tolerances if you ask me.  Certainly much room for improvement.

And flying proudly, Old Glory, Michigan State Flag, and the flag representing our beloved neighbors to the north, Canada.

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2018, 11:54:36 am »
Can you remember all these island, bays, lakes, and harbors?  There will be a quiz at the end of the report.  Anyone that can recite all the Les Cheneaux island, bay, lake and harbor names will be provided an all expense paid fine dining experience with me at Wimpy's when I visit South Africa. 

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Fine dining at Wimpy      :laughing4:
Rallye

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2018, 08:48:49 pm »

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Fine dining at Wimpy      :laughing4:

:lol8:  I'm cheap, what can I say  :lol8:

Online Oubones

« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2018, 09:13:11 pm »
Question time.
BO, do you know Spur Steak Ranches?
Levi from USA did not know them at all.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #273 on: January 06, 2018, 10:28:19 pm »
Question time.

Never heard of them.

When WD's say met at the Spur, is that what restaurant they are talking about?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #274 on: January 06, 2018, 10:40:18 pm »
Question time.
Oubones the Spur is a SA franchise not US at all. There is none in the US. :deal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spur_Steak_Ranches
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Oubones

« Reply #275 on: January 06, 2018, 11:40:55 pm »
Chris, that is what Levi said.
I was just not sure if it was not just in his area.
He was fascinated by the whole Indian and feathers theme.
BO, yes it is a common gathering or meeting place.
There was a big issue due to racism a while ago, but it seems to have died down.
One of my prot馮駸 is now married to a very senior guy in the Spur group and the whole thing was a bit of an unnessary issue.
It is like McDonalds, same menu, same food at any outlet.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2018, 03:21:37 am »
Which Canuck came up with the name Cockburn for an island??

It was the middle son of the Lieutenant Governor Gordon Drummond who first dabbled outside the lines...

Seems the young Peter Drummond had the hots for the youngest daughter of the Ojibwe Chief.(they met at a soiree in the honor of the Chief's third wife) Young Peter was discovered dipping his wick in the young lady's fountain. Of course this was still frowned upon in those dark days, and to prevent a diplomatic conflagaration the young Peter was banished to Porter Island across the way.

Unfortunately after a day or three it came to pass that  young master Peter found another stirring in his loins. However this time it wasn't for the lust of the gorgeous young Ojibwe maiden, it was from a dose of the clap she had given him. Young Peter wasn't the first, or the last, it would seem.

Daddy Dearest dispatched his surgeon across the waters to attend to the issue at hand, and upon his arrival at the camp where the young Peter had pitched his tent the surgeon discovered the young Peter lying in the frigid waters, his itching and burning member being soothed by the water.

When the surgeon arrived back at the Governor's residence, he related the tale with much mirth to Gordon, who fell to the floor he was laughing so much.

And hence, ever since, Porter island was known as Cockburn Island.  :sip: :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2018, 07:29:20 am »
It is like McDonalds, same menu, same food at any outlet.

Beg to differ. The only thing I'd eat from a McDonalds menu is sno-conetm, fries or breakfast bun with hash brown.

The Spur decor, menu and all-waiters-aboard raucous birthday song are the same all over, but quality depends very much on management, as noted in the Spur thread on this very forum.  :deal:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:31 am »
Which Canuck came up with the name Cockburn for an island??

It was the middle son of the Lieutenant Governor Gordon Drummond who first dabbled outside the lines...

Seems the young Peter Drummond had the hots for the youngest daughter of the Ojibwe Chief.(they met at a soiree in the honor of the Chief's third wife) Young Peter was discovered dipping his wick in the young lady's fountain. Of course this was still frowned upon in those dark days, and to prevent a diplomatic conflagaration the young Peter was banished to Porter Island across the way.

Unfortunately after a day or three it came to pass that  young master Peter found another stirring in his loins. However this time it wasn't for the lust of the gorgeous young Ojibwe maiden, it was from a dose of the clap she had given him. Young Peter wasn't the first, or the last, it would seem.

Daddy Dearest dispatched his surgeon across the waters to attend to the issue at hand, and upon his arrival at the camp where the young Peter had pitched his tent the surgeon discovered the young Peter lying in the frigid waters, his itching and burning member being soothed by the water.

When the surgeon arrived back at the Governor's residence, he related the tale with much mirth to Gordon, who fell to the floor he was laughing so much.

And hence, ever since, Porter island was known as Cockburn Island.  :sip: :biggrin:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2018, 12:05:33 pm »

Okay, where did I leave off.  Oh yes, Les Cheneaux Islands.  I mounted my Austrian steed and made my way to Cedarville, the main village of where Les Cheneaux island residents go for goods n services.

I'd read of a fabulous museum with antique vessels I wanted to visit.  I found the museum fairly easily.  I was pumped, I read the museum had free admission.  I like free!!

Though, it was not to be.  Per the norm, the story of my life, the museum was closed.  I was too early.   :BangHead:

Oh well, time to move on in life.  I continued West towards Ponchatrain Shores, leaving the magnificent beauty of the Lake Huron shoreline, to the magnificent beauty of the Lake Michigan shoreline.  If you'll recall earlier in this report, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan are separated by the Straits of Mackinac, where the Mackinac bridge is located separating the Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Continuing west on US2, I found this Michigan Historical Site sign.

Along the way, a few pics of the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline. 

A pit stop at one of my favorite roadside rest areas with bathroom facilities in the Upper Peninsula.  I enjoy the log cabin design.

It was time for brek, I was famished having only had the big mug of coffee and some powdered mini donuts thus far that morning.  I decided it was time to stop n eat, so I chose my favorite breakfast spot in Manistique, MI, the 3 Seasons Cafe.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:05:57 pm by big oil »