Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.  (Read 42761 times)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.
« Reply #300 on: January 09, 2018, 03:48:24 pm »
wow,thanks for sharing BO,very cool place of the world that you live in  :thumleft:

Thanks, landieman, several more days of riding to go and many more places to report on. 

Thanks for following :thumleft:
Defund the Media
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #301 on: January 10, 2018, 01:48:25 am »
After hydrating at the Norway Spring, I continued just a few miles west until I discovered Fumee Falls near Iron Mountain, Mi.  It was a nice feeling listening to the waterfall and reading about the history of the location.  How loved ones and town folk would gather there and be festive.  Drink, eat, occasionally fight, you know, fun stuff.

Turned around and saw my KTM and thought man, this is a great bike, I was feeling very satisfied with my purchase so far, so I felt like photographing the big Katoom.

I saw one last village in the southwest corner of the UP on our school's summer challenge list.  It was quite a ways further west, but I was feeling good, having fun, so I thought what the heck, I'll ride up to Alpha, MI and then ride all the way back to my room in Escanaba.  I'd rather ride than sit in the motel in the evening twittling my thumbs.  I arrived in Alpha in a little over an hour at a high rate of speed.  Kind of fitting that I'm riding the Alpha adventure touring bike  :peepwall: :pot: in a village named Alpha. 

I looked up in the sky to the west and saw a huge thunderstorm moving in an easterly direction.  So, I hightailed it back to Escanaba at a high rate of speed.  It's funny how the weatherman can claim a thunderstorm is moving at 40 miles per hour and I'm riding at 80-100 mph and cannot outrun the storm.  I ended up having to ride through a deluge, but we have all been there, no big deal.

I arrived back at my motel after dark, wet, a little cold, so I took a hot shower and ate a few chunks of biltong for dinner and went to bed feeling accomplished for the day.  I covered a good amount of territory for the day at 744 kilometers.

It is funny how life can be going so well one day and turn to shit the next day.  Well, that's what happened.  Tragedy reared its ugly head to me and the big powerful Katoom the very next day.

To be continued...............................
Defund the Media

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #302 on: January 10, 2018, 03:49:11 am »
Please note that beef jerky is not biltong.

Not by the wildest stretch of the imagination....  :deal:

I am standing by waiting to read the next instalment  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Rat Man

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #303 on: January 10, 2018, 07:34:04 am »
Hi Big Oil, really enjoying this RR, thanks for going through all the detail :thumleft:
Keep it coming please

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #304 on: January 10, 2018, 03:06:31 pm »
Hi Big Oil, really enjoying this RR, thanks for going through all the detail :thumleft:
Keep it coming please

My pleasure, Sir Rat Man  :thumleft:

Thank you for following.
Defund the Media

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2018, 11:22:00 pm »

I understand, I didn't know if the wonderful Saffers following my report had ever heard the terms 'Beef Jerky' so I substituted to help them understand. 

I've eaten both.  An old chap in a nearby town used to dry slabs of beef in a small building outside of his home.  It was delicious.

You can purchase real Biltong online in the USA but it is awfully expensive.  Biltong USA sells it for around 30 bucks per pound shipped.  Wally World .com sells Biltong for around 40 bucks per pound shipped.

New business for ya Zog?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:28:59 pm by big oil »
Defund the Media

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #306 on: January 15, 2018, 05:16:26 am »

I understand, I didn't know if the wonderful Saffers following my report had ever heard the terms 'Beef Jerky' so I substituted to help them understand. 

I've eaten both.  An old chap in a nearby town used to dry slabs of beef in a small building outside of his home.  It was delicious.

You can purchase real Biltong online in the USA but it is awfully expensive.  Biltong USA sells it for around 30 bucks per pound shipped.  Wally World .com sells Biltong for around 40 bucks per pound shipped.

New business for ya Zog?
BO, he is making a biltong dryer so just maybe.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2018, 07:02:33 pm »

New business for ya Zog?

Yeah, I read that.  Looking forward to see his design.
Defund the Media

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2018, 07:41:29 pm »

New business for ya Zog?

Yeah, I read that.  Looking forward to see his design.
So do we have to wait for him to make biltong before you continue your trip? :ricky: :peepwall: :sip:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2018, 02:38:49 am »

New business for ya Zog?
had some jerky on my trip! not the worst thing in the world but very sweet! seems as if the USA inject sugar into alot of things. picture this : in a sealed bag, postage stamp size squares of meat, very wet and sweet. tastes like very tough sweet ham squares. worth a try but landed back home 07:30 Friday and had a bag of the real deal by 9am I was so lus for it.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2018, 11:11:10 pm »
So do we have to wait for him to make biltong before you continue your trip? :ricky: :peepwall: :sip:

Yes  :lol8:  I hope he sends me a batch.

I did receive a nice card from Mr. and Mrs. Zog and the Zog doggies.  Made my day.
Defund the Media

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2018, 11:13:54 pm »

New business for ya Zog?
had some jerky on my trip! not the worst thing in the world but very sweet! seems as if the USA inject sugar into alot of things. picture this : in a sealed bag, postage stamp size squares of meat, very wet and sweet. tastes like very tough sweet ham squares. worth a try but landed back home 07:30 Friday and had a bag of the real deal by 9am I was so lus for it.

Like most things, quality depends on who makes the jerky or where you buy it.  Jack Links store bought jerky is way different than a local butchers jerky.
Defund the Media

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:10 am »
Next morning I awoke late.  Didn't sleep well as there were some drunks or meth heads in the room next to me.  Sometimes it just doesn't pay to stay in the cheapest place in town.  This was the worst motel I'd stayed in since summer of 2016 at a roach motel in New Brunswick, Canada. 

Oh well, I fired up the jetboil and made a large mug of high octane mud.  Swallowed a few powdered donuts and got on the road around 11:00 am, disappointed in myself I'd slept in that long.  Destination; Gwinn, Michigan to go have a nice lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in the Upper Peninsula.

A little after noon I arrived at the restaurant, it's named The UP North Lodge.  Famous for their BBQ Ribs.  I wasn't that hungry, so I just ordered a blue cheese n bacon hamburger and fries, I think yous call them chips.

The UP North Lodge from the backside.

While eating lunch, I noticed some White Tail Deer walking from the woods, so I grabbed my camera.  A little yearling spike (1 year old 2 point buck or male deer).

And a yearling dough ( 1 year old female deer).  I spooked her when I walked out on the rear patio to get a closer shot.

So she ran over to the woods to join her mates.

Bye bye little deer, hope you find lots to eat so you get fat before winter.

After lunch, I made my way north towards Ishpeming, Michigan.  I wanted to find a camp ground after last nights experience and just take a nap and relax.  On the way I found a rare sight, an above ground pipeline.

Most probably don't like the site of such a pipeline, I love it.  Thank you John D. Rockefeller for coming up with such an idea to safely transport oil and gas.

A few miles further north, I came to a lovely inland lake, so I stopped to grab a pic.

Do you see the female moose?

I found a state forest campground on my map, so I headed in that direction when tragedy struck me and my brand new week and a half old KTM 1290 SAR.

Defund the Media

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:19 am »
thanks! haha. yes we call them chips. i asked for chips with my burger at the lone spur, and they literally took a bag of crisps the kind in a packet and put it on my plate! they did give me fries anyway but they were soggy and miserable as far as fries go.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2018, 09:27:38 am »
thanks! haha. yes we call them chips. i asked for chips with my burger at the lone spur, and they literally took a bag of crisps the kind in a packet and put it on my plate! they did give me fries anyway but they were soggy and miserable as far as fries go.

Yes, in the states, chips are potato chips, not french fries.

I love soggy greasy fries, perhaps my arteries don't love them, but oh well  :biggrin:
Defund the Media

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:49 am »
Interesting, though maybe not so surprising how true is the statement, "We are two nations, separated by a common language".  :deal:

Could be wrong, but I think that came from Winston Churchill.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:45:45 am by jaybiker »
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

"They" say I confuse wanting to stay young with wanting things to stay as they were when I was young.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2018, 11:13:45 am »
@Mr BigOil,
 I have spent the past few hours pouring through your RR, to say that I'm amazed would be understating it massively. You write with passion about your country and the places you visit, a passion that many of your countryman should share. I feel like I have ridden this journey with you, you have done more for your country than that clown with the comb-over could ever do, I thank you sir!
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
If i ever HAD to emigrate it would be to the USA....... stuff OZ / nz /UK and the others......... :biggrin: :imaposer:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Buddy

« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2018, 12:31:39 pm »

Roxy, you're from a shithole country, they don't want you there.  :lol8:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2018, 05:55:20 pm »

Roxy, you're from a shithole country, they don't want you there.  :lol8:
🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.