Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Boiling a Water Cooled Engine  (Read 474 times)

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • WAT KYK JY
    • View Profile
Boiling a Water Cooled Engine
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »
Sometimes while riding in technical terrain the bikes engine will be hot, with the fan blowing. You find the need to stop and the fan is still on.

Does it matter to the engine that you switch the bike off, or should you let it idle until it has cooled and the fan switches off.
A F'ugly is a different sort of bike, the 1150 is boring and the 1100s makes me smile.

...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Offline dirtyXT

• a wanna be adventurer.
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • You’ll never be as lazy as who named 'fireplace'
    • View Profile
Re: Boiling a Water Cooled Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »
doesnt matter to the engine but im sure it matters to the radiator. i would think the fan cools the water in the radiator for a bit. no harm no foul.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDXx250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - sold XT660R - Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold XT660Z - current

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:19 pm »
I'm thinking that while the fan is on it means you still have boiling water circulating through the engine being cooled. You switch the bike off, that boiling water just sits there going nowhere, under very high steam pressure.

And a super heated engine not cooling down fast enough as the fan would do and the way its designed. Lots of pressure on hoses, pump seals etc.

The bike was designed for operating temperature, so let it cool off first.
A F'ugly is a different sort of bike, the 1150 is boring and the 1100s makes me smile.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 01:33:33 pm »
I would go with the idle until fan switches off. Even better if the area or terrain will allow for a cooling off
ride.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:09 pm »
There is nothing sinister that can happen to your engine if you just switch it of, even if it ran near the top limit of operating temp.
Water in your cooling system can only boil if it was not full to capacity or sprung a leak.
A closed cooling system allows a certain build up of pressure, thereby raising the boiling point of the coolant.
When you switch off an engine, it stops making heat, immediately.
Hot spots will not form, heat is still conducted by the coolant even if it does not circulate.
Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:12 pm »
There is nothing sinister that can happen to your engine if you just switch it of, even if it ran near the top limit of operating temp.
Water in your cooling system can only boil if it was not full to capacity or sprung a leak.
A closed cooling system allows a certain build up of pressure, thereby raising the boiling point of the coolant.
When you switch off an engine, it stops making heat, immediately.
Hot spots will not form, heat is still conducted by the coolant even if it does not circulate.

^^^^This.

Sodra jy die motor afskakel, skakel jy ook die bron van die hitte af. Dit kan nie warmer word nie, net kouer. En soos tereg genoem, is die kookpunt van 'n geslote verkoelingsisteem hoër as teen normale lugdruk. Sodra die water/vloeistof begin kook, kan dit nie meer die hitte absorbeer van jou motor nie, en daarom is daar 'n kans dan dat dit dan kan skade lei, dit gebeur gewoonlik as dit nie vol genoeg is nie of as daar 'n lekasie in die stelsel is en dit nie druk kan opbou nie.
Verantwoordelikheid mors al my tyd en geld!

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:00:32 pm »
Thanks. Dit maak sin.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 02:46:30 pm »
I'm thinking that while the fan is on it means you still have boiling water circulating through the engine being cooled. You switch the bike off, that boiling water just sits there going nowhere, under very high steam pressure.

And a super heated engine not cooling down fast enough as the fan would do and the way its designed. Lots of pressure on hoses, pump seals etc.

The bike was designed for operating temperature, so let it cool off first.

I have often wondered about that.  If the engine is not running, neither is the water pump, so very little, if any circulation.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 02:58:01 pm »
So assuming Gerrard got his answer...
what about turbos? different setup and they should rather still run a few seconds to circulate oil? My understanding has always been that the oil can burn on these hot spots?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »
what about turbos? different setup and they should rather still run a few seconds to circulate oil? My understanding has always been that the oil can burn on these hot spots?
Most turbo engines do not switch off but idle till the turbo reaches cool tempreatures afaik?

Online 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:27 pm »
The moment you switch off the engine with the temp near max. operating degrees, the coolant flow stops and a hotspot could form in the cylinder-head area.

This is not serious because, as someone has pointed out, the source of heat is gone, and coolant starts dropping in temp virtually straight-away.

Online 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:05:39 pm »

The turbo gets it's lubrication from engine oil pump pressure, and if you switch off the engine the oil pressure drops very soon, and a high-spinning turbo could run on marginal lubrication.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »
Most turbo engines do not switch off but idle till the turbo reaches cool tempreatures afaik?

Very very few that actually does that, most I think is DIY mods actually.

But this makes me wonder what is the rationale behind the stop/start tech. My car could have worked pretty hard and it will still stop. So guessing it comes down to 2SD's explanation (although could =/= should). Or the car is capable of much higher temps before it will intervene.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline TheBear

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 03:45:03 pm »

Not any that I am aware off these days.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Cracker

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 08:03:00 pm »
Anything, any time, no matter how hot, will always cool down when you remove the source of heat - do not think a motorbike engine works differently or is special in any way.

Cars do the same and we just get out and walk away, without even thinking about it.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Online 2StrokeDan

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:08 pm »
Your cooling fan is a good indicator whether your cooling system works well or not.

Your cooling system, pressurized slightly when hot, will boil at around 105degrees C.

Your thermo switch, or fan switch will start the fan at around, say 95degreesC., and switch the fan off again at around 85degreesC.

The above is rough estimates, and I used it to indicate that the fan will start long before the engine overheats, and by hearing the fan come on AND off, you know that your
cooling system is working between those guidelines.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 03:19:36 am »
Also remember that WATER in the cooling system can boil at around 105 degrees.

COOLANT in the cooling system raises that temp significantly. Never ride without antifreeze / coolant.

It also lubricates the system (pump) better than water, and it also helps prevent corrosion too.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 08:48:54 am »
KTM 690 would actually just heat up more if idling.  In the early years when we were still trying the 15 min idle reset, mine would puke coolant before the 15 min runs out.  From about 8 minutes, the fan would run full blast and will not stop running until you switch off.

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 09:03:28 am »
Thanks guys. Some informative responses that I think has answered some questions for all of us.

Now... does it matter what airfilter I use :imaposer:

Offline katana

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:03 am »
Thanks guys. Some informative responses that I think has answered some questions for all of us.

Now... does it matter what airfilter I use :imaposer:
Use a K&N.  As your compression drops due to all the dust and sand the engine digests, it will run cooler.   :pot:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain