External Fuel filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxwain

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
My fuel pump has been whining a lot and making some high pitched screaming noises .....a bit like the wife  :peepwall:

So I decided to change the fuel filter. Its a crap job for those who have not done it. I bought a Champion filter which is slightly bigger that the original BMW, so its a bitch to get the whole fuel pump assembly back into the tank. So after battling for a while I decided to bring the filter outside the tank. It makes no sense having to open up the tank every time,to change the filter. I bought a meter of 8mm fuel hose and a couple of clamps and by passed the internal filter (Easy Peasy ) The external filter now resides where the ABS pump used to be under the tank. Its a simple modification and now fuel filter changes will be a breeze. I don't think the filter has ever been changed on this bike. Still had those crappy BMW clamps throughout. The pump is much quieter now.....unlike the wife  :peepwall: