950 Starter motor will not kick out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpleton

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
let me explain, I have has endless shit with this bike ,it cooked a regulator and subsequently 2 new batteries, about 5 000 km ago,
it was taken in to a well known forum member work shop and was found that the regulator had blown and thus the battery problem,
this was all replaced including new (starter/main relay) under the bike, this workshop replaced the regulator with a cheaper variety at my request to save some cost.
so after this I started to have starting problems , and subsequently blew the cheap regulator,i have now replaced with a plug and ply unit from KTM, the bike also had the tendency to engage the starter even if the kill switch was off and the key out of the ignition, today on a short road trip it did this to me again, we disconnected the terminal to the starter and I road it home, but about 1 KM from home the bike cut out stone dead and I had to push >>>> Fark this thing is heavy when you have to push it up hill.

some thing else I have just noticed with the ignition on or off i get ,4 volts on the energize side of the relay ( the starter button side) and n , to me there should be no voltage on this circuit until you hit the button with ignition and kill switch on.

so now here is the thing , what would cause the bike to engage the starter,

I did find a Pink wire broken that goes to on of the diodes behind the dash.

I have a volt meter on the bike , it chargers at 14,4 to 14 .6 volts.
when the starter engaged during the ride, the voltage dropped to 12,3 on the volt meter, this volt meter is connected directly to battery terminals

Help I am about to throw it down a cliff,