Brussels Move 🇧🇪

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Find myself in Brussels. Not at all what I had planned and have nothing to do with politics.  Was lucky enough to find an accounting position with IKEA providing temporary capacity while they implement an in-house project.

IKEA has been an exceptional employer and provided endless support, especially almost all that I needed to know about Belgium. They help with all the administrative requirements which are numerous and still on going. My latest process is to get a Drivers License which may take up to two months. Have no car so no rush, at the moment. Have been eyeing cars though.

For the first month I stayed in a fully furnished business flat in Evere which is on the outskirts of Brussels. It is French speaking and has many flat buildings. Was on the 7th floor. It is not far from NATO headquarters.

Had to find my own apartment and started searching from day one. The amazing thing is that the first apartment I viewed was the one I ended up taking. Did see several others but this one had something none of the other could beat, just 1km from the office – an easy bicycle ride or walk. An absolute pleasure to be able to enjoy lunch at home and not to have to sit in traffic. It is in Zaventem, also the location of the airport. Still getting used to overhead planes though. 

Had to furnish it. Very helpful to be close to an IKEA store, which has become my second home.

Moving day was especially stressful as I had to buy a bed and also assemble it. Was at the store first thing collecting all the various items I needed and stacking trolleys at the checkout. Had to manhandle four trolleys by the end. They have a taxi service to transport purchases home.  They would not carry purchases upstairs and left it all at the building’s entrance. I begged for help to at least carry my mattress upstairs which the driver agreed to, but only for €5. Once all was inside the question was whether I would be sleeping on the floor or in a bed. I carefully followed the instructions not wanting to end up with a bed that looked like a cupboard. My neighbours could not have been too happy as I was building past midnight. At least I could fall asleep in my new bed that night. Continued the next day with a cupboard which luckily did not look like a bed. Also assembled a desk and a chair. The luxury of the necessities of life.

Over the almost now two months I have been an avid homemaker. Moved onto a lounge suite and then a dinning room set. Also had to do something about laundry and bought a washing machine. This was at least installed in my bathroom.

Things become high tech with the installation of Wi-Fi and cable (Flemish and French language). Connected to the world and the acquisition of a TV.

Enjoyed the assembly of furniture and have had fun trying to be an interior decorator. Swedish design has made my life easier and have not been disappointed.

So far, only had one major disaster with a half build cupboard collapsing when I tried to lift it up. Was not careful enough and ended up ripping all the screws out. With a little wood filler and turning it upside-down, it is now built and standing. 

So far, happy with life and hope to soon start doing some exploring around Brussels. Still have a 2nd bedroom to look at, not to mention 50 boxes on their way.