Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Namibian Wilddog Conservation Project  (Read 10249 times)

Offline Gryshond

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Namibian Wilddog Conservation Project
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2008, 11:32:30 am »
Gryshond is X2

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2008, 06:53:17 pm »
Apologies all, I am going to have to bail from this one. Work Issue.

I will still pay the money over though.
KTM 1190 ADV R

Red

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2008, 07:25:59 am »
WOW!!

It was awesome‚?¶‚?¶and sad. 

Robin painted a bleak picture.  If something radical is not done, our grandchildren are not going to see wild dogs in the wild in Namibia.  That is the reality.  Their numbers are declining, and unfortunately they are not on the decision makers in Namibia's radar.  It is probably because they are carnivores, which historically get short changed with conservation efforts.

Those of you that did not attend and would like to see Robin's presentation, please PM me with your e-mail address.  I will forward it to you. 

The decisions regarding the projects we are going to be involved in will be posted sometime this weekend.  TravelGravel and I must put everything together.  I did the talking and she did the writing.

One thing we did agree on.  Our BIG project is going to re-establish wild dogs in Etosha.  The last sighting of dogs was in the 1980‚??s.  That one is going to take at least 2 years.  We will post details on this when we have all the information.  WE NEED A KICK-ASS ‚?? IN-YOUR-FACE NAME FOR THAT PROJECT!!!!!!!

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2008, 07:53:06 am »
Thanks guys for putting on a terrific presentation.  Was a real eye-opener! Which was combated slightly by a super meal  :biggrin:

Buzz me if I can help you two at all... TG, I still owe you that cuppa coffee!   ;D

Guys, In my opinion, this is fantastic venture for all us dogs to get involved in. A very worthwhile project!  Robin is a super chap and can do with as much help as he can get!

Thanks to all you guys that were involved in the research and planning of this...  :thumleft:

They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Dakota

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2008, 09:02:45 am »
Thanks for the enjoyable evening, was really nice to meet some of the guys, terrific presentation and great to know we can do something to help‚?¶  :)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

BMW 650 Dakar - don't get to ride it much anymore - my son has claimed it
Aprilia Dosodura 750 - My new bike - I love it
Husqvarna 610 TE (Sponsored) :-)

Offline JustBiking

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Highveld, Centurion
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2008, 09:14:35 am »
Sounds like it was a great evening... really sorry I missed it.

I found some nice wild dog pictures on the National geographic site

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/photos/wild-dogs/african-wild-dog-youngster_image.html
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/enlarge/african-wild-dog-lookout_image.html
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying........."Damn..We F*cked Up" - Anon.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2008, 09:25:29 am »
Great work Red, Davy and Robin - thanx too TG - much appreciated.

In brief, this will be our project of choice - participate on 3 levels:

1. Funds generation via different means
2. Physical item donations - from kit, to biking stuff, tyres - stuff they can use to do their work - including services
3. Participation - riding to Nam, distributing marketing material and other things - basically anything Robin wants us to do on 2 wheels....

More to follow, Red and TG is busy finalising our action plans - lots to do, but a mighty cause....

Thanx again for everyone attending - the Land Cruiser people were also great, we are looking forward to work with them on this one....  (at least they can transport our petrol and water ;D)

Stay tuned to this frequency.....

H

Red

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:31 am »
Some reading for Friday afternoon.  I am really battling getting through the day.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/wilddogs.html?c=y&page=1

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »
Hi Red,

I will liase with you still but here is my offer (as discussed with Hein already) for starters

I will host a Cheese & Wine in my cellar including a wine tasting together with a wine expert who will be available
I will get a cellar or two to give some input (they owe me by now  ;D )

There will an entry fee - for the project of course

Details to follow
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Red

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 12:31:11 pm »
Hi Red,

I will liase with you still but here is my offer (as discussed with Hein already) for starters

I will host a Cheese & Wine in my cellar including a wine tasting together with a wine expert who will be available
I will get a cellar or two to give some input (they owe me by now  ;D )

There will an entry fee - for the project of course

Details to follow

:thumleft:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:25 pm »
Do you guys know if there are any Wilddog issues / initiatives in the Cape itself?
'Routine is the thief of time'

Red

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2008, 12:57:13 pm »
Do you guys know if there are any Wilddog issues / initiatives in the Cape itself?

Not that i know of.  Not formal intiatives like in Kruger, Hluhluwe, Madikwe etc. anyway.

Here is a map that Robin showed us last night.  We did a good job didn't we.  The whole South Africa was red 200 years ago.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2008, 01:01:42 pm »
I guess that applies to a whole host of critters that have been wiped out....
Will check my side for info. Tnx
'Routine is the thief of time'

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2008, 02:43:53 pm »
It is so sad that practically the only way to see most animals these days is in places like Sanwild or other reserves that look to preserving wildlife as best as they can.

Truly WILD animals don't really exist anymore unless by sufferance of human beings - those that do, especially wild dogs, are seen as vermin and often hunted as such. 

Even though as someone who believes that more areas should be open to the "wild" and that animals should of course be allowed to be free without human interfernce, I have to on numerous occasions temper my emotions and accept that sometimes the only way to save animals such as wild dogs from those who wish to use and abuse them is for us to look after them.

Thank heavens for places like Sanwild and Africat, who besides dedicating their lives to those animals who have already been mistreated by us and who therefore cannot funciton without human interference so to speak, through no fault of their own, also continue fighting for the wild animals rights not be hunted like the vermin most farmers wish to treat them as.

Hopefully your educational evening has lead to money being donated to just that over and above of course the costs you have to deal with for dinner etc. and Robin.   Education is always a great way to go.

I hope to soon read more about the plan forward and the animals we are going to help.

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »
thanx for sowing the seed,,,,lets all think of a way to help the plight of the widdog,,,

my suggestions are we can make  a stand at venue like a bikeshop/menlyn/shopping centre/etc...

we could even make a "ride" out of it,,,,ride as a pack with paraphanalia and pamphlets to hand out,,,maybe a pledge line/money box

also my AT is in a pimp project,,,its gonna be a basic white and black bike,,,the idea is that i was gonna get a sponsor for my own cause. but im willing to put it aside and rather then  decorate the bike with vinyl stickers of wilddog photos and a info on the bike portrayed and flashed everywhere i go....make it a wilddog awareness project bike

so im quite willing to make my AT a wilddog project on wheels, provided we get the vinyl stickers done expertly and use it to travel from place to place...or  park it at a strategic spot somewhere,,,everywhere,,,anywhere

also im very sure Jaco from  Topbike will  make a little space in their magazine with a photo or article giving publicity to our cause??? so lets make a awareness campaign maybe advertising a mass ride??? otherwise work out a route and publicise it and the rest of us can pump our contacts to donate money towards the wilddogs...use the AT as a awareness magnet,,,im sure i can get media publicity around the bike ,,,,im defnitely in....
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2008, 03:24:52 pm »
Great work Red, Davy and Robin - thanx too TG - much appreciated.

In brief, this will be our project of choice - participate on 3 levels:

1. Funds generation via different means
2. Physical item donations - from kit, to biking stuff, tyres - stuff they can use to do their work - including services
3. Participation - riding to Nam, distributing marketing material and other things - basically anything Robin wants us to do on 2 wheels....

More to follow, Red and TG is busy finalising our action plans - lots to do, but a mighty cause....

Thanx again for everyone attending - the Land Cruiser people were also great, we are looking forward to work with them on this one....  (at least they can transport our petrol and water ;D)

Stay tuned to this frequency.....

H

What exactly are we funding Robin for?  Perhaps its because we weren't at the dinner, but I am still unclear as to exactly what any money we raise would be going towards.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 03:27:06 pm by Extreme Velcro »

Red

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2008, 08:16:11 pm »
thanx for sowing the seed,,,,lets all think of a way to help the plight of the widdog,,,

also im very sure Jaco from  Topbike will  make a little space in their magazine with a photo or article giving publicity to our cause??? so lets make a awareness campaign maybe advertising a mass ride??? otherwise work out a route and publicise it and the rest of us can pump our contacts to donate money towards the wilddogs...use the AT as a awareness magnet,,,im sure i can get media publicity around the bike ,,,,im defnitely in....

All in good time....  We want to present everything together.

Thanks for the suggestions.  There are so much to be done.  Every effort will be needed.

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2008, 09:49:28 pm »

All in good time....  We want to present everything together.

Thanks for the suggestions.  There are so much to be done.  Every effort will be needed.

Cannot wait to hear more....

David van Breda

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2008, 11:37:58 pm »
EV,

This whole programme is not exactly on the same line as Sanwild.  On the contrary.   Robin is not out fighting for the rights of the dogs nor trying to preserve the few that's left in an enclosure!  I particulary like his approach of looking at issues on a broader spectrum and trying to leapfrog ahead and get the powers in office to sanction integration of the dogs into former known territories.  There they can roam approx. 3million hectares of wilderness inside a national park and give tourists the opportunity to experience them in their natural habitat.  I like that idea.  As for the rest of the dogs, it is imperative that the awareness campaigns currently running, and new ones be given more horsepower.  This is typically where people like us can play an important role and have some fun in the process.  I believe Robin is a bit thin on the ground!

The appropriation of funds will be in the hands of Robin and the small operation he represent.  I will in due course have further discussions with him in this regard, and obviously tap into the knowledge base of people like Red and Killroy to see if there is a sensible way of helping Robin to 'restructure' his operation in terms of HR and allocation of duties to get bigger exposure for his knowledge about the dog/human conflict.  We are talking serious money here for the next 2-3 years and I am sure he will need a beefed up team to handle this.  So my perception is that is is not just a case of "Hey, I paid you R100, what did you do with it?" 

I got a moving letter from one guy(nogal LCCSA member) saying he is disillusioned about the dogs programmes as he paid R10000 to a similar Natal operation and he was not even invited to go out the the field on a darting operation.  My advise to him was that he rather not send us money as he will defintiely not be treaded as a hero as we do NOT keep count of monies paid to have individuals bask in some distorted glory of their contribution.  This is a group effort and I believe Robin set a perfect example that not even he does this for any other reason but to set the dogs up for survival and an increase in their numbers! 

In closing remark about the funds, I confirm having requested BDO Spencer officially to ''manage'' this account for us as part of their sponsorship for the project.  They agreed.  I went to school with the one senior partner and she still think I am a nice guy, so, viola, we got an auditor!  :cheers: As far as Robin's cost for the evening is concerned, we got a sponsor for his flight ticket, accommodation and transport whilst in SA.  It was my pleasure to pay his braaivleis that evening . . .

I believe Killroy summarized our future effort neatly but suspect they will be refined as we go along.   :deal:  Watch this space for Red and TG's summary!

All in all it was a great evening . . .  and I tell you what, our Wild  :glasses9: dog  :grommit: girls totally ROCK!!!  :headbang:

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2008, 07:12:40 am »
It's great that Namibia still has the potential (and space) to open itself up to a project like this. 

It's lovely to hear about people like this and let's hope it all goes well.

Just a note on Sanwild - the keeping of the animals at Sanwild in some kind of enclosure is not a choice, but on a needs basis to protect them from the farmers in the area who wish to kill them and do a good job unfortunately.  There is sadly no other place for them - pathetic in a country like ours.  As we all know, when man and best interact as with for example hippos or crocodiles expressing their desire to be free as they should be in nature and not enclosed, the beast usually comes off the worst.

Same as for the lions at Sanwild - regardless of what people think, these are animals that unfortunately can never go back into the wild because they have been imprinted by humans in the canned industry and or been abused in zoos and other places and to keep them at Sanwild and similar places is the best we pathetic humans can do for them under the cirucmstances.

Wild animals should be in only one place - the wild...

that is the first premise of any decent animal activist and to see animals who have been stuffed up by us humans to where we have to interfere in a manner as at Sanwild, Drakenstein Lion Park and other such sanctuaries is exceptionally sad.

Therefore a project like here is to be applauded and of the utmost importance.   I truly wish that something similar as this could be instituted here one day.

Thank you for giving those of us who weren't at the evening a bit more of an overview - much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:17:24 am by Extreme Velcro »