Renting a bike vs Owning a bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAN

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
A question arose recently as to the costs of renting a bike when you want to go on a trip and I got the following from GS Adventures:

The costs for the bike rental is roughly R850 per day for a F650 and R1200 for a 1200GS. The price includes vat, insurance and unlimited kilometres.

At first glance, this sounds ridiculously expensive, but then I started making a few sums...

Insurance on GS = R400 per month
Service once a year = R2000
Tires = 1700

Cost of having a GS in your garage = R8500 per year (Excluding any depreciation)

Plus depreciation @ only 10% per year = R20 000 per year!!!!

That is equal to 7 days (or 17 days including depreciation) of rental of a 1200 GS.

Depending on how many trips you want to do during the year, this is not such a bad idea then.
And you are always on a newish bike.

[I think you can get better rates at other people, but if you are going on a trip with these people, use their bike, so when it breaks down, they are there with you.
Their rates for trips are reasonable]

And you could also add the lost interest on an investment you could have made with your R100K, another R10 000 at 10% per year in a money market account.
Thus you could rent a GS for another 8 days with the interest on your money market account alone.

That is a whopping total of 25 days! Almost 4 weeks!

I have used my bike for 11 days this year. Excluding the times I ride it to work.

SH#T! I think I am going to sell my bike.

OR am I missing something?