Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the upgrade to LC worth it?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Omninorm

Re: Is the upgrade to LC worth it?
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »
... and the 21" front wheel conversion is easy on the air-cooled   :laughing4:

Then you should have bought an F800GS, KTM 1090/1290 / Africa twin ;)

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Ask for forgiveness, not permission
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 10:44:02 am »
I had both a 1200 GSA and a 800GSA for a while, but the 800 is just not "as compatible with my frame" as I would like it to be. :bueller:
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 11:16:39 am »
I had both a 1200 GSA and a 800GSA for a while, but the 800 is just not "as compatible with my frame" as I would like it to be. :bueller:

Then it wont be compatible with my frame as I think I am slightly bigger than you Isinyoni  :imaposer:

Thank you all for the replies. My bike is going in for its 40k service next week so will take a AC for a longer ride if they allow me. Will then decide.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline plaky

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 07:13:24 pm »
My mate is now in Denmark and he left his 2011 GSA with me to ride while he is away to keep it operational. It has been 3 years now and I commute every day to work. I use his one once or twice a week and my GS LC the balance of the time. I feel the difference every time I ride his bike and tend to ride mine more than his. The LC to me is far better bike and very balanced and responsive than the AC. It is a no brainer that the LC wins this hands down. I guess it is what you are looking for! You will never regret buying the LC.

Offline Brucet

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 08:27:47 pm »
Thank you plaky.

I have ordered the LC. Doing transfer tomorrow so hopefully I will have it by the weekend.

Thank you all for the replies.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:22 pm »
Thank you plaky.

I have ordered the LC. Doing transfer tomorrow so hopefully I will have it by the weekend.

Thank you all for the replies.

Congrats  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Rallye

Offline Brucet

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »
Thank you
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Obi -Wan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 09:37:58 pm »
So here is my view on this ,

From a purely Financial perspective the deal does not make sense given the fact that your existing bike is in really good nick with low mileage.

Here's the really big issue for me with the LC . Seperation of the upper stanchion from the Triple Clamp. Please go read the nearly 4000 posts on Adventure Rider where this issue is discussed. The design is fundamentally flawed and if BMW think that the addition of a stainless steel sleeve will address the engineering inadequacies in this design they are smoking their socks. Every single LC ever built is being recalled . Why?

Because not even Valentino Rossi can keep a bike on two wheels when he has zero steering control which happens when that stanchion and upper clamp seperate. I am frankly amazed when i see a Rider on an LC - I dont care how technologically advanced this machine is - it is waiting to kill you and it seems there are some out there who do not want to or cannot understand this .

Of course BMW is going to do you a deal that appears to be great but they are selling something that is what ?????

Keep your twincam. Proven Engineering before the accountants at BMW took over. 
Real Men ride a Pig !

Offline Brucet

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 06:16:44 am »
Thanks for your response.

I have read about the issue and to be honest I do have a few concerns
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline -D-U-K-E-

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 06:41:49 am »
I ride a '13 1200GSA - last of the air cooleds.

BMW changed a bit too much with the LCs for me to be 100% comfortable with it....

Like Obi Wan mentioned - the stanchion issue is the major problem for me. None of the previous bikes had this issue. I read a post on ADV Rider where Jim von Baden said that the stanchion design got progressively weaker with each iteration until it got to the point with the LCs where problems started popping up.

So the question to BMW: why the hell did you have to tweak and fiddle something that worked perfectly until now?

Also:

If something needs additional cooling then it must be running hotter / leaner? Or is it the emissions standards?

Why was it all of a sudden necessary to add steering dampers? Kevin Ash?

I do not really like the fiddly and indistinct switchgear on the new ones. (IIRC this is also something that created problems).

The seat material on the new ones is thinner and not as durable.

Some guys complained that the wider lower profile tyres means that the rims get damaged easier while offroading. (Another thing pointing to a more street oriented bias)

I noticed more vibration on the windscreens of LCs that I have ridden.

Overall I think that the older bikes are more GS than the LCs....

Take 4x4's for instance:    I seriously doubt if new Hilux bakkies can stand up to the abuse that the old one on Top Gear went through...

But the new ones are much more car-like in their comfort, with much better performance...

Depends on which you prefer at the end of the day. For now I will keep my '13.

Offline Brucet

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 08:06:40 am »
I hear you.

Its the same as what happens in the Landy fraternity. All the "experienced" guys prefer all the old non-electric models and complain that they cant fix the electronic versions if it breaks down. Ive done 10 years of various overlanding type trips with the modern Landys and ive never had issues. In fact the guys that I have traveled with with the older technology have had many breakdowns in that time and I would accept a challenge from any older 4x4 in standard form off road. I can also drive 1000kms and get out feeling good, try that in an old hilux or series.

I find the LC a much better ride than my OC GSA. At 120km/h i get light vibration (like pins and needle type sensation) in my hands which i really battle with which i dont get with the LC. I will never do any heavy off road stuff (like climbs, rocks, jumps etc) although I will do many dirt roads and tracks. If I were going to do the heavy stuff I agree I would probably keep the older bike. I find the OC seems to have much more torque lower down but maybe I am mistaken. I find the LC much more stable at lower speeds, like at below 15kms/h and much better at cruising speeds (115km/h to 130km/h) which is where we travel 90% of the time and on the odd occasion that may increase to 60/40. 

Im also beating the price increase for next year and the bike will only be registered in Jan.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:09:50 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline JABO

• Centurion
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 08:31:55 am »
Definitely worth it.

And the stanchion issue is so 3 months back.
Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline Brucet

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 08:56:33 am »
thank you
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:06:00 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 12:46:27 pm »
I think people that want an LC is making this stanction issue a massive big deal to justify not having an LC. ;)
If you have done the recall there is nothing to worry about imho.
more than 300 000 of them on the road and 3 or 4 incidents.
Then looking at the facebook page of the photos a few months before the issue you see flying GS's loaded up etc.... pics promptly removed however before the outcry.

Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Brucet

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 12:51:37 pm »
thank you all for the replies. Deal done, should be picking up on Saturday.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline TheBear

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 12:58:22 pm »
Hi All,

I only have owned my 2011 oil cooled GSA for around 2 months now but have been offered a really good deal on a new 2017 LC GSA. My bike is in really good condition, with only 35k on the clock and honestly I dont know if it is worth upgrading to a LC.

For those who have upgraded from oil cooled, please let me know if you think its worth it to upgrade.

Thank you

Not after owning this bike for only two months and having to fork out an additional R140k.

.#BRADICAL!

Offline Brucet

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »
Thank you TheBear. I think i agree but maybe stupid to look at it this way but if I had to do this in a years time or longer it would have cost me a lot more. Maybe too much for me to actually do a deal at that time.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 03:38:49 pm »
I always look at it this way.
You only live once. If you can afford it - Do what the heart desires.

P.S that bike is a beaut. Congrats!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:39:38 pm by Omninorm »

Offline JABO

• Centurion
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 03:42:52 pm »
Nice Bike.
Happy Riding.
Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline Brucet

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 04:06:40 pm »
Thank you.

No points for anyone for guessing what Im doing on Saturday and Sunday :)
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP