Looking at getting a third bike - which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanie

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
It's always dangerous to ask such a question, as everyone will obviously rabidly defend their own bike as the best option, but I'm literally just gathering knowledge on what's out there.

I think I need to retire my museum piece (2001 650GS) to gravel highway and commuting. I've been let down now one time too many. I'm not in any hurry, as I have other life priorities, so take this as an initial survey. I'm looking for:

• Light (NB)
  • Good suspension
  • Won't break the bank (second-hand or smaller bikes will definitely be considered)
  • I don't need power. I'm a light-weight. As long as the bike can do 120km/h on highway, that's all I ask.
  • Roadworthy (I have my Honda CRF230F for the crazy trails)
  • Not too high (messes with confidence)

The riding I do: Lance and I have covered most gravel highways and now tend to find/follow stuff that resemble tracks on Google Earth. I'd like something that can do rocks, sand, mountain bike trails, whatever, easily.

The info I'd like:
  • Suggested bike
  • Weight and height
  • Pros and cons
  • Service options (Many? Stuck with a monopoly that doesn't care?) - FYI: based in Cape Town.

As an example, I'm strongly considering the Honda 250 Rally, but am willing to throw the net wider.

Now I'll sit back and watch the worms escape from the can. :twisted: