Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ALPS BY BIKE?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Xpat

Re: ALPS BY BIKE?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 06:03:02 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »
WOW!  :o
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Striggs

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 06:59:29 am »
I did it with these guys in 2014 http://eubiketours.co.za/
Alps, Dolomites; Stelvio pass, and everything inbetween
The most fun you can have with your clothes on

My wife and I together with another 20 saffers did the Alps tour with eubiketours in June this year. The weather was excellent for 90% of the trip, don't leave your raincoat behind.  We had from zero to 35 degrees.... when it rained, it was torrential.  Also have a look when their school holidays/long weekends/public holidays are, try and avoid them if you can... it was bumper to bumper for hundreds of kilometres, not pleasant riding conditions.  As a matter of interest, we did 3600km at an average moving speed of 36km/h..... :o

We looked at the options of doing it ourselves but I found trying to organize a rental, insurance etc to be real pain in the ass so opted for the "tour package" option. And that is with EU passports.  We chose a 1200GS that came with panniers and GPS. It will definitely be cheaper to organize yourself, especially if you choose your own accomodation along the way.  Our accomodation was great, but definitely not the cheapest. I'm not sure how easy it is to hire a bike in France? We only looked at Germany and Italy... the comment about insurance costs is very true, it is hell expensive and make 100% sure it covers you for the engine capacity of the bike you hire...

Whatever you decide, you will not regret it...go for it.
GSA LC, Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled, Vespa 300 6 Day, KTM 250 TPi, Vespa 946, KTM 1090R

Offline Xpat

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:47 am »
Hmmm, admitedly I was already on Europe on sabatical (in Bratislava in Slovakia about 60 km from Wienna), but when my hiking trip fell through because of twisted leg, I decided on Sunday to go for bike trip, looked up rental, next day took train to pick up bike (as it was in different cities) and the day after on Tuesday I was off. No booking - I hate to do that - and I had zero problems, to find accommodation or anything else. And I was there in August which is height of school holidays everywhere in Europe (the best time IMO is June - August and two months of July and August are school holiday more or less anywhere in Europe). That is of course if you stick to Alps - if you are going to the sea or Venice or another tourist trap, you might have different expecience. And of course if you are in a group of 30 (or 10 for that matter), that changes whole dynamic and requires much more massive admin and hassle.

For rental reference: I rented bike from two places, both big bike shops - one in Slovakia (MT07 Tracer) and one in the Czech Republic (MT09 Tracer). The czech one was overall cheaper. Their rental included all necessary insurance for the bike and had unlimited km (while Slovak and others had usually 250 - 300 km per day limit and then they charged you big time). Here is the link to the czech rental company website (exchange rate now is 25.5 CZK per EUR, so Tracer 09 costs about 76 EUR per day - all inclusive as I said + whatever accessories you need like GPS or side bags - mine came with top box for free): https://www.motopujcovna.cz/data/File/rental_bikes_barth_offer_2017.pdf

So one option is arrange with this people to bring bike to Prague, fly there and go from there. It is a bit off the Alps - but in Europe distances are much smaller than in SA. In two weeks you can do easily most of the Alps from there and back. Starting probably in Bavaria with the Eagle's Nest (Hitler's cotage), then going down through Grossglockner to northern Italy (easily doable in one day - I've done it) and there you are in Stelvio vicinity, which is right on the border of Switzerland).

Offline Xpat

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 08:05:41 am »
Oh yes, and I would expect 40 - 50 kmh to be your average speed in Alps on the good bits... it is very very twisty.