Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: LC Clutch issues  (Read 898 times)

Offline Donniepat

LC Clutch issues
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:02 am »
I always battled with gear shifts and finding neutral when its hot but after having it on the main stand yesterday, I realized that the clutch does not fully disengage...
There is only one guy on youtube I could find that had the same problem.
Even adjusted on the master cylinder both ways I cannot get it to fully disengage.
Funny part is the clutch still takes at the right position.
I know that the wheel will turn while idling but you should be able to stop the wheel with very little effort. I have to use the rear brake and even then the bike does not stall. Only when releasing the clutch to the point where it starts taking it will stall - as per normal...
What some guys recon is that the slave needs shimming....
Has anyone ever had this issue?

2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII
1985 Suzuki GSXR750 Preslingshot
1991 Suzuki GSXR1100M Slingshot

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: LC Clutch issues
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:19:16 am »
cant see the video, blocked at work.
But what is you background, are you used to wet clutches? is this not maybe normal? How many kilos does your bike have and have you smelled the clutch ever burning?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline dustlover

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:23:41 am »
I have the same problem with a 2015 1200 LC Adventure. The clutch drags and I can feel movement when I blip the throttle. Also, the engagement point is very close to the bar when cold and moves out when the motor warms up. Is this normal? Over to those in the know
Go for it - the world is your lobster.

Offline gee

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »
i have a  2017 adv have done 20000 ks since march no problems with clutch

Offline JABO

• Centurion
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:05:22 pm »
Looking at your video it does not look normal at all.
Clutch is definitely not releasing properly.
Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline TheBear

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:23:55 pm »
I have the same problem with a 2015 1200 LC Adventure. The clutch drags and I can feel movement when I blip the throttle. Also, the engagement point is very close to the bar when cold and moves out when the motor warms up. Is this normal? Over to those in the know

Had this on my 2014 since day 1.  Now at 65000km.  Still doing it.  Now worse, no better.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Roarman

LC Clutch issues
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 10:39:13 pm »
So for the first time this week, my 2014 started to jump/move forward when I put it into first gear and continued to pull me forward for another 5sec while my clutch was pulled in and then it settled and acted normally.
Iíll try what you showed on the video tomorrow and see mow much drag there is on the clutch.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:39:40 pm by Roarman »
Rory

The following users thanked this post: speed

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:46:42 pm »
Right - issue resolved..
I'm aware that the back wheel will spin when engaged but you must be able to stop it with your hand. Not in this case. Only back brake. There was always drive hense the difficult gear changes.
I had a look at the clutch after removing it ( not a massive mission ). The clutch movement is very little with regards to engage en disengage positions...
All the clutch and pressure plates had normal wear and tear to the naked eye.... It made no sense. To me, a worn clutch will slip - not engage , right?
BMW techs reckoned I should replace the clutch although Bavaria had no knowledge of the issue and have not done a replacement. Quote on just parts was approx R9000 - no labor included. I tried to shim the push rod to push the clutch out furher with no joy.I then phoned ACME and spoke to Paul who was also baffled by the issue of the clutch binding. He quoted R4800 for a second hand unit complete with pressure plates and clutch plates.After receiving the unit - I fitted it only to realize that it does the same thing...I was ready to give up at this point. The suppled unit was worse than mu original. I phoned Paul again and asked to look for another unit in better condition and collected it. Fitted it on Saturday. Wa la !!!! Bike feels brand new. Smooth shifting and easy neutral selection when hot. I cannot explain why it had the issue. I just felt that the gears was getting worse and worse and I did not want to ride the bike anymore because of it. Now I'm back in the game !!!! Hope this helps someone....
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:48:47 pm »
FIY - 2014 model
41000km

Must admit - had a few rough rides but looked after.
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII

Offline TheBear

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 10:36:13 am »
Right - issue resolved..
I'm aware that the back wheel will spin when engaged but you must be able to stop it with your hand. Not in this case. Only back brake. There was always drive hense the difficult gear changes.
I had a look at the clutch after removing it ( not a massive mission ). The clutch movement is very little with regards to engage en disengage positions...
All the clutch and pressure plates had normal wear and tear to the naked eye.... It made no sense. To me, a worn clutch will slip - not engage , right?
BMW techs reckoned I should replace the clutch although Bavaria had no knowledge of the issue and have not done a replacement. Quote on just parts was approx R9000 - no labor included. I tried to shim the push rod to push the clutch out furher with no joy.I then phoned ACME and spoke to Paul who was also baffled by the issue of the clutch binding. He quoted R4800 for a second hand unit complete with pressure plates and clutch plates.After receiving the unit - I fitted it only to realize that it does the same thing...I was ready to give up at this point. The suppled unit was worse than mu original. I phoned Paul again and asked to look for another unit in better condition and collected it. Fitted it on Saturday. Wa la !!!! Bike feels brand new. Smooth shifting and easy neutral selection when hot. I cannot explain why it had the issue. I just felt that the gears was getting worse and worse and I did not want to ride the bike anymore because of it. Now I'm back in the game !!!! Hope this helps someone....

Thanks for the feedback.  Like you I am baffled that a worn clutch would bind and not slip.  Weird indeed.

.#BRADICAL!

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 10:49:44 am »
Right - issue resolved..

Thanks for the feedback.  Like you I am baffled that a worn clutch would bind and not slip.  Weird indeed.

To give a bit of context to this...
At around 50k km , my Buell was also dragging, to the point I could not engage neutral while stationary, and
the bike would almost stall when I stopped in gear. I adjusted and re-adjusted the mechanism several times.
Everyone on the Buell forum said worn clutch, but to me this also made no sense, it should slip, not drag.
Eventually I pulled the clutch pack and measured the thickness with a vernier. Although it was close to the lower limit, I
still didnt understand the dragging bit until I pulled the plates apart.
What I found is that a lot of the plates were worn to the point where the grooves were no longer visible
on the fibre disks. I ordered a new set of disks, but while they en route, I wanted to use the bike.
What I did was to use a dremel with cutting disk, and cut new grooves to segment each  disk again.
This resolved the issue completely. So my theory is that the lack of grooves creates a vacuum lock
between the disks, and they do not separate as they should. Its been over 1000km since I did this
and its still 100%. This may not be the actual problem, but it worked for me. I hope to get the new
disks this month, but I'll keep riding until the current ones fail again.

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »
This makes sense..... I'll have a closer look at the grooves.... Oil sucking the plates together - who knew
Thanx for the update
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII

Offline dustlover

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 11:08:47 am »
Right - issue resolved..

Donniepat. Is your issue still resolved? I have exactly the same problem. Donford said it was fine but it just ain't. Trying to decide what to do.
Go for it - the world is your lobster.