What tyre not to use on a 990

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckit

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So

.After all the discussions on what tyres to use on a 990, I can add my bit and tell you what not to use.

I saw a Big block Kenda on my travels and liked the look of it. Against my better judgement and the fact that I got it at a good price ( R1600.00 fitted for a 150/80/18), I bought and had one fitted. I found the following after a trip to the wild coast a month or so back.

1. Wear: I have done 1800km on it so far, but would be surprised if I got 3000km out of it (Kinda expected it from a big block)
2. Traction on tar: Very bad and close to dangerous, It has nearly tossed me on my head 4 or 5 times accelerating out of corners and breaking traction in the dry, wet
    is just suicidal.
3. Traction on dirt: Not bad but not the best, some of the 50/50 tires I have run had much better traction.
4. Knobs or blocks are starting to crack and tear and I think one more ride will start to rip off.

I think it wouldn't that bad for a bike with a more linear or softer power delivery, but I would not have another.