Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Oasis Spit Braai 11 November 2017: (Gippo) Guts and Glory  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Oasis Spit Braai 11 November 2017: (Gippo) Guts and Glory
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:23:29 pm »
Life does not look good.

It’s 20:00 on Wednesday night, 8 November, and I’m on the 20th floor of a high rise in the Cape Town CBD with a beautiful view of the harbour. I'm lying under a desk, clutching my stomach as another wave of pain leaves me breathless, waiting for Dux to fetch me. He owes me one, and payback is a bitch - with gippo guts.

I’m nauseaus as all heck but despite pushing my finger down my throat so far I could remove my tonsils if I still had them, no relief is forthcoming. The lift finally arrives and we head home.

Maybe it is the motion, maybe it is a belated reaction to tickling my tonsils, but suddenly my throat tightens and my mouth starts salivating excessively in preparation of a blow-out. Fortunately, Dux had the foresight to pack a plastic bag or two against this very eventuality. He drops me off at home and heads off into the night, planning his sterilising routine.

I crawl into bed for a miserable hour or so, then spend the rest of the night hugging the toilet. Thursday finds me scratching through my meager medicine box for the two Buscopan I remember stockpiling (only one, it turns out), and those Valoid tablets whose vile taste makes me gag even more.

I spend the day listlessly gathering stuff for Tom on Gough’s last package, thanking the Lord that this illness legitimately provides me the time, if not the energy, to finish the prep and packaging. Late afternoon I head to Stellenbosch Mediclinic ER - I’ve been too scared to eat all day, and am almost delirious with dehydration.

The friendly sister who triages, warns me that I'm only deemed "yellow", and accidents and children will be treated before me. No worries - the waiting room is empty. Suddenly a bunch of mothers bound in with their children packed in ice - a school cricket game gone awry. Next up an ambulance rolls in. I watch them blearily, hope long ago disgorged. But the little darlings are speedily patched up and disposed, and suddenly it's my turn.

I’m duly hooked up to a drip and given some prescriptions and a sick note for a few days (bless you, Doctor!) and head home almost clear-headed, with a plan to leave for Oasis the next day (Friday).

Dux however, after seeing my condition on Wednesday night, reasonably assumes that I’m unlikely to survive the night, never mind make the Oasis Spit trip, and reschedules my bike to be serviced and delivered the day after Pres. Zuma voluntarily resigns.

But I’m made of sterner Boere stock, hard-headed as can be. I’ve stared down a Jetta, darnit! (And no, I’m not referring to target fixation). My Purple Gentleman is finally parked at the back of the cottage, packed and ready for the trip, and I decide to join Andy660’s crowd riding early on Saturday morning, 90% gravel according to Robin Brown.

I’ve avoided riding with Andy660 before because he likes to ride at speed, and I don’t have a snowball’s chance in the Karoo of keeping up. I also don’t want to hold anyone back, which inevitably happens to the poor sod who ends up sweeping.

My other worry is whether my energy will hold out. I haven't eaten much in the past two days, and I'm never hungry when riding, probably because nervous delight keeps me in fight-or-flight mode for the duration. But sod that, it sounds like an interesting and challenging route to distract me from an interesting and challenging week, and I've been looking forward to the Oasis Spit for a long time.

Saturday morning 07:45 sees me paddling up and down the Richmond Total garage, trying to find a good angle to put down the slightly overlong side stand of the lowered Gent. A 1200GS rolls up shortly after, and turns out to be Anwar, who is also joining us. He heads into the shop.

While I wait, chugging down an energy drink, a man approaches and asks about the loaded bike. He is in the queue to have his car washed, and has lately been thinking of getting a DS type of bike. He ends up chatting to Anwar for some time, and I fear he’s been won over to the Heavy Side.

Just before 08:00, a gaggle of Thumpers pulse into the garage - a couple of XR650Ls, a few DR650s and a DR-Z400, accompanied by a lone F800GS. It turns out to be Deon (super ten) who briefly questions me about our route, and then the crowd roars off into the distance.

Then Robin Brown glides in on his lovely Africa Twin, and informs us that due to unexpected mechanical problems (broken gear lever), Andy660 will be joining us later, after he’s gotten hold of and installed the replacement lever. We expect him to catch us up at Piketberg, but knowing Andy it might be sooner. We start up and head to Malmesbury to meet up with Calle, taking some lovely gravel roads. Robin Brown warns me about some sandy stretches lying ahead, but the Gentleman behaves himself impeccably, only now and then briefly shaking his head in a corner, and I'm quietly pleased.

Disclaimer Please accept my humble apologies if the photo's are in incorrect order. I tried to combine photo's from various sources, and maybe have got the order wrong.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:40:33 pm by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Snafu

Offline Coxwain

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
Re: Oasis Spit Braai 11 November 2017: (Gippo) Guts and Glory
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 06:26:45 am »
 :happy1: :happy1:
A gaggle of thumpers PULSE in ......... :biggrin: great description Ri
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:28:03 am by Coxwain »
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:02:13 am »
liking your style :thumleft:

:sip:

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:18:55 am »
Flipping A, ek se...

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:01:18 am »
 :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:29:06 am »
Looking forward to seeing all the photos.... Oasis was my home away from home. Miss that place so much!
"Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone."

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:31:52 am »

Dux however, after seeing my condition on Wednesday night, reasonably assumes that Iím unlikely to survive the night, never mind make the Oasis Spit trip, and reschedules my bike to be serviced and 1. delivered the day after Pres. Zuma voluntarily resigns.

2.  But Iím made of sterner Boere stock, hard-headed as can be. 3. Iíve stared down a Jetta, darnit!

1.   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

2.  What does this mean?

3.  I remember reading about that, and you still completed the trip iirc.  Badass  :thumleft:

:happy1:  Sub'd.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:47:55 am »
Jy skryf flippen lekker. Ek staan by...

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 11:00:06 am »

Dux however, after seeing my condition on Wednesday night, reasonably assumes that Iím unlikely to survive the night, never mind make the Oasis Spit trip, and reschedules my bike to be serviced and 1. delivered the day after Pres. Zuma voluntarily resigns.

2.  But Iím made of sterner Boere stock, hard-headed as can be. 3. Iíve stared down a Jetta, darnit!

1.   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

2.  What does this mean?

3.  I remember reading about that, and you still completed the trip iirc.  Badass  :thumleft:

:happy1:  Sub'd.

2. A "Boer" is Afrikaans for a farmer, but in this sense the intended meaning is closer to frontiersman or adventurer.

Potted history: South Africa was originally colonised by the Dutch. Over time, fleeing Protestants from France and other European countries joined them - a heady mix of slaves, rebels and rugged settlers. referred to as the Boer. England then annexed the Cape, and the Boer, following international trends, hated them instantly. The Boer packed their ox wagon and laboriously headed inland. When they reached KwaZulu-Natal however, they found the English already there. The stalwart Boer tannies then declared they would rather trek back over the Drakensberg barefoot than be subjected to British rule - which they duly did. (Check Roof of Africa to see the kind of terrain they faced).

3. ... My Charlie Weir lock does not denote wisdom  ::) And my bike was fine - who needs a proper back brake anyway.
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:06:11 am »
Thanks, I knew what Boer meant, but not 'sterner Boere stock'.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:12 am »

Barefoot Ri = Uber Boer

:biggrin:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 11:27:40 am »

Ah, my bad. That is a translation of an Afrikaans saying, "stoere Boer/Afrikaner". More correctly translates to "sturdy" (which I am) but I was on my second glass of Syrah and I was on a roll.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:20:00 pm by Ri »

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 11:29:49 am »
Toe maak jy jou broek vas met 'n GEELSLANG.  :peepwall: :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 11:34:03 am »

Barefoot Ri = Uber Boer

:biggrin:

:imaposer:
Ek sal heeldag koeŽls maak en voorlaaiers laai en aangee, maar daai kook ding het ek nog nie baasgeraak nie 😅

Toe maak jy jou broek vas met 'n GEELSLANG.  :peepwall: :imaposer:
:spitcoffee:
Wie bang 'n geelslang  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:51:30 pm by Ri »

Offline Buddy

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:26 pm »

Enough of this banter. Please continue.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Online Pilchie

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 04:11:37 pm »
 :spitcoffee: 
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 07:32:47 pm »
From the Richwood Total Garage we take the Malanshoogte Road, and the Occultdale Road. Next up is the DroŽvlei farm road, which I haven't ridden before. There are sandy drifts and grading going on, but the Gentleman remains a gentleman, and I relax and enjoy the ride.

Robin is a very relaxed and easy rider, keeping to a fast-ish but steady speed, giving me advice about road conditions where he feels necessary. Anwar is sweeping, riding at his own speed and often stopping to take photographs, so there is no pressure on me to speed.

We turn onto the N7 and stop at the Malmesbury Police Station to pick up Calle, who's managed to make bail and is waiting for us.  Calle had a very bad fall on the Willowmore Road going to the EC Bash last May, breaking his leg badly, and only recently got his ticket to ride again. This would be his first longish trip and his wife, who sounds totally chill and awesome, advised him to keep it to less than 400km per day, as any distance over that seemed to be the accident zone.

Anwar's R1200 has seen more continents than most people - and it's lower than my Gent :o

My trusty steed, love of my life, my pride and joy - the Purple Gentleman, in his current incarnation. Since this photo, the floodlights have been exchanged for naff-looking huge silver globed spots, and I love it :

The plan is for Calle to have a relaxed ride, and skip out on the more challenging gravel parts, but in the end he manages all the gravel roads just fine, under the watchful eye of Robin. This may be in part because he decides to sweep, forcing him to ride at my super-challenging speed of, oh, 80kph?  ::)

We take the Biesiesvlei gravel road to Moorreesdorp and then tar to Piketberg to pick up our other reprobate, Andy660.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:56:58 pm by Ri »

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:22 pm »
At Piketberg we stop at the Spur for a snack and to wait for Andy660, but wires get crossed and Andy660 ends up at another Spur, only joining us after finishing his breakfast. Here we meet up with the gaggle of Thumpers again, already deep into their coffees and toast.

DR650 rented from Tim from Tim's Motorcycles for a visitor from afar

The best-looking bike on the road today, with a handsome AT next to it

Calle's and Anwar's crufty steeds  8)

Late arrivals

Calle is also a 2-smoke

Thumper Gang, including Rondkyk-Rothmans

Update on Andy660's whereabouts

Andy660 finally arrives and ends up chatting to people with a beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback. I wait for him a while, then realising he'll catch up and pass me soon enough, I finally hit the tar to Citrusdal. The others are long gone, happy to gooi a bit without having to keep an eye on me.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
We fill up at Citrusdal, then hit the gravel towards Niewoudts Pass, which looks down the valley to Algeria, up and over Uitkyk Pass and through the twisties to Sanddrift

The road to Algeria is covered in loose little pebbles, making the Gentleman dance around like Fred Astaire. The 4x4s travel it at speed, kicking up clouds of chalky, clingy white dust - not fun. I learnt long ago to try to stick to the left side of the road, no matter the road conditions, and here it stands me in good stead when Geniel de Villiers-wannabe in their 4x4s come screaming around corners.

From here we take a right hand turn down the escarpment towards Kromrivier on a narrow, twisty, eroded, marbly sharp downhill that tests my brakes and my nerves. I kick the Gent into first, get on my pegs, let go the clutch and feather the front brake as I crawl down like a mobile Downwards Dog.

I know, I know, use the back brake! But when you wear a size 5 and you're standing foot centred on the peg, your toes don't reach the back brake. In these circumstances, braided brake hoses are your friend. I reached the bottom, perspiring like a hog and panting for breath, but without incident. I sing hallelujas on the inside :D

At Kromrivier we sit down, take off most of our gear and dip our toes in the cool refreshing stream. Well, I do, anyway. We also sample their excellent craft beer, the guys even dipping into the Blondes Andy had planned to take along for a friend. I have half a great tasting and refreshing Dry Stout. Coz I are small and can't consume much alcohol if I still need to ride gnarly roads to reach my destination.

Very well-designed venue, with the water running through it, keeping it beautifully cool.

The dog and I have the same idea

Seems a popular place

I buy a water chaser to make sure the Dry Stout is diluted as much as possible, considering my recent bout of forced detox. I cautiously decide my system can handle a few packets of crips and walk over to the guys to ask whether they also want chips. They misunderstand, and next thing two huge plates of delicious "slap tjips" are placed on our table. We munch in silence, content.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:27:50 pm by Ri »

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 08:21:06 pm »
Leaving Paradise

Kromrivier is beautifully situated and I dawdle too long, taking photographs in all directions. By the time I'm kitted up and the Purple Gentlemen gently broms to life, I'm alone in the parking area. I head of to the right, in the direction I saw the others disappearing, and come to a T-junction with no indication which way to turn. There are chalets in all directions.

I hazard a right turn in the general direction of where I imagine Oasis to be, but quickly reach a dead end. I precariously paddle backwards on tippy toe, praying the Gent doesn't lose his balance, and head back to the parking area. Still deserted - back to the T-junction. I come to a halt under a shady willow and try to see whether the road to the left leads anywhere, but it seems to end against a wall and a wire. I wait.

Then Robin comes roaring back, a red knight on a white steed, and points me in the right direction. He is miffed that no one waited for me, but in the confusion of where to go, and some of us not knowing the route, everyone thought someone else was looking out for me. I gratefully open the throttle and head for the open gate.

The next moment I'm in a gnarly twee-spoor with rock, sand and pebbles. I hoist myself to my feet and give the Gentleman his head, hanging on and trying not to bounce into the veld. Gent's soft, bouncy suspension, though, was set up for this kind of terrain and he handles it with aplomb. Darn, I love this bike!!

There are about three gates to open, and the first rider to reach the gate, opens and closes it.

Second gate, which Andy (of course) reaches first :lol8:

Little bit of sand, little bit of marbles

Through the Matjiesrivier Reserve

Stand up, look up, open up   :ricky:

Look Ma, no skidmarks!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:30:46 pm by Ri »