Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help a clueless Noob  (Read 147 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
Help a clueless Noob
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:41:43 pm »
I want to go on a few little missions in December.  JHB to Royal Natal on as much dirt as possible.  From there to Sani, again, as much dirt as possible.

I have an old Garmin Nuvi 500 or similar lying around with T4A on it.   Is a nuvi with T4A "good enough" to get the job done?   

Do I have to buy a Montana?

I hear many of the more roadgoing GPS's cant do tracks.   If I plot a route on Basecamp, using farm roads etc does that count as a track or a route?
Stu
1190 Adventure R

Offline Renrew

Re: Help a clueless Noob
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:28:19 pm »
I want to go on a few little missions in December.  JHB to Royal Natal on as much dirt as possible.  From there to Sani, again, as much dirt as possible.

I have an old Garmin Nuvi 500 or similar lying around with T4A on it.   Is a nuvi with T4A "good enough" to get the job done?   

I hear many of the more roadgoing GPS's cant do tracks.   If I plot a route on Basecamp, using farm roads etc does that count as a track or a route?

I’m pretty sure it can’t do either routes or tracks that are uploaded through basecamp.

My advice is - Look for a preowned Etrex30x/Etrex30/Etrex20
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »

Plotting a route stays a route. Not sure but often the route on the GPS might be different than on the computer as it recalculates the route based on your position.

Not sure about Basemap vs Nuvi and if tracks can be loaded. 

One way to get around routing problems is to put a waypoint halfway between start and finish of the road you want to ride and then use the routing function on the gps to go there one by one.

The older T4A have many of the gravel roads between towns not included on the maps.

Offline Robin Brown

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:27 am »
Your simplest option is to buy a map of the area you are wanting to visit. As it would have waypoints marked.  And be only 2 to 3 years out of date. (That is how long it takes to update a map and go to print)
And use your Nuvi as back up. Cheaper than buying a mapping GPS.
Che

Offline Roadhawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:03:18 am »
Hmmmmm  I guess I will stic with an iphone and basic google maps routes I've plotted....For now.

I don't seem to know enough about GPS's and I want to buy something, but I want to buy once. 

Stu
1190 Adventure R

Offline Renrew

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:15 am »
Hmmmmm  I guess I will stic with an iphone and basic google maps routes I've plotted....For now.

I don't seem to know enough about GPS's and I want to buy something, but I want to buy once.

So I’ve got a Zumo 595 I use on all my bikes - I’ve got the crasles installed on all of them and I just pop the gps into whichever one I’m using. The 595 has all the bells and whistels you could ever want, the 395 is a bit smaller and lighter.

If I were to get a second “big” gps it would be the montana or monterra range - They offer full turn-by-turn guidance, routes, tracks and mostly everything you would ever need. Lighter than the 595 with a similar size screen.

There are a couple different Montana’s and monterra’s - So if you’re buying get the latest. They are however also quite expensive.

I’ve had a couple Zumo’s and have been very happy with them - Waterproof, dustproof and my previous one fell off at 140kmh on to tar and it was working 100% with some scuffs! So the Zumo’s are VERY durable. Sunlight legibility on them aren’t great, but good enough. The problem with TFT displays.

The Etrex30x will set you back about R4k new and those are super compact and light, but need batteries (Unless you diy a power terminal). I use two etrex30’s when doing hard enduro and they work BRILLIANTLY with tracks and routes.

Working with basecamp can be fun once you’ve figured out how to work it and all the quirks - Watch the online videos/tutorials if you need to.

In summary - See if you can find a mint Montana preowned or a Zumo at a good price.
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:15:49 am »

My view, you can buy the latest and greatest or something small like the etrex30. Two different approaches.
I prefer the latter and just change batteries during a trip. Longer trips I just take a small battery charger with.
But then I just use the gps to see where I am and where the road is I want to ride. Then just ride in the general direction.
(I plot a short road like a pass as a route and convert it to a track with wingdb3. Just easier to see than waypoints but waypoints do the same)

Maybe use the nuvi in conjunction with your phone and decide after the trip what you need.

I use two etrex30’s when doing hard enduro and they work BRILLIANTLY with tracks and routes.

Why two?  Redundancy in case one fail? If so has it happened yet?

Offline Renrew

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:02 am »

My view, you can buy the latest and greatest or something small like the etrex30. Two different approaches.
I prefer the latter and just change batteries during a trip. Longer trips I just take a small battery charger with.
But then I just use the gps to see where I am and where the road is I want to ride. Then just ride in the general direction.
(I plot a short road like a pass as a route and convert it to a track with wingdb3. Just easier to see than waypoints but waypoints do the same)

Maybe use the nuvi in conjunction with your phone and decide after the trip what you need.

I use two etrex30’s when doing hard enduro and they work BRILLIANTLY with tracks and routes.

Why two?  Redundancy in case one fail? If so has it happened yet?

I agree with SM, an Etrex30 is awesome and the sunlight legibility is second to none.

One zoomed in to 60m, other one zoomed out to 180m - For events

By the way - Navworld had the best prices on my GPS’s funny enough. Also look at the Etrex35, newer tech but only touch screen.
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Ryderod

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:27 am »
Having spent years using an etrex for offroad navigation I much rather prefer its ability to use tracks which do not get re-calculated. Nowadays on our DS trips I use a Zumo but still have an etrex mounted as well.
The Zumo zoomed out for a broader picture and the etrex zoomed to about 120 - 200 meters for finer detail. Should the Zumo decide to change the route if we have deviated or explored a bit then I simply ignore it and use the etrex.
I have a power point so batteries aren't an issue but they are low power consumption units so that wouldn't be an issue IMO.
Disadvantages would only be the smaller screen and lack of bluetooth although neither is a game changer for me.
Dirty by nature!

Offline Roadhawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:47 am »
I see used Montana 600s are around R4000-R5000     Only down side I see is that they don't do the bluetooth thing to your helmet....Which isn't the end of the world actually.  I have my phone for town stuff, I'm more interested in having something decent for trips out in the sticks.

Thanks guys.
Stu
1190 Adventure R

Offline Renrew

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:41 am »
I see used Montana 600s are around R4000-R5000     Only down side I see is that they don't do the bluetooth thing to your helmet....Which isn't the end of the world actually.  I have my phone for town stuff, I'm more interested in having something decent for trips out in the sticks.

Thanks guys.

Trust me having bluetooth to headset is overrated. Get a good deal on a montana and you’re set :thumleft:
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Roadhawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:18:25 am »

Thanks guys.

Trust me having bluetooth to headset is overrated. Get a good deal on a montana and you’re set :thumleft:

Ok Cool thanks man!!!

Stu
1190 Adventure R