Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fuel starvation - pump problem  (Read 980 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Fuel starvation - pump problem
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:56:45 am »
Ok so on a ride this past weekend my trusty Husky let me down  >:( . Started hesitating, missing and then would start but not rev-up. Checked the usual, changed the plug etc. Appeared to be a fuel problem but was getting fuel through from tank. I guessed it was the injector and there was little more I could do without major strip-down ... SOS to my son to come with the trailer  :o So pulled the injector and soaked and cleaned it with carb cleaner - checked it under pressure and powered. Reassembled and the bugger still was a no-go.  :patch: So checked the injector in place on the TB - it was not misting but the fuel pump was cycling up. Started thinking either pump filter blocked or pump on its way out and not making enough pressure ... pulled the pump out the tank and there the problem stared me in the face. Ruptured pickup hose (this is a 630 pump). It really should have had a cable tie holding it to the bracket I guess so that it does not pull at an angle to the spigot creating a pressure point. Anyway all sorted but worth noting.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline M3X3Z3

Re: Fuel starvation - pump problem
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:23:45 pm »
Hoses, hose clamps and ties, filter, power clips, locating clips, pump itself....shheeeet there are more point of failure inside that tank than outside on the entire bike  >:(
Gotta love em tho  :thumleft:
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 01:39:47 pm »
Hoses, hose clamps and ties, filter, power clips, locating clips, pump itself....shheeeet there are more point of failure inside that tank than outside on the entire bike  >:(
Gotta love em tho  :thumleft:

True quite messy but really no different to most in tank fuel pumps I have come across.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:13:13 pm »
is that a plastic high pressure filter.?
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:08 pm »
Thank you for a very informative, well put and useful write-up.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

The following users thanked this post: BiG DoM

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 03:50:09 pm »
is that a plastic high pressure filter.?

Yes  :o I would ideally like to change it to a metal one as used in cars as I can see it possibly giving up the ghost somewhere along the line as well ... although not heard of them failing (and it still looks white and new not brown and brittle and swollen). The pumps can fail though - I think like many if they are run when tank is very low or even empty they take strain and are more prone to failure due to heat build up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:29:51 pm by BiG DoM »

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 04:14:38 pm »
You know BMW,s so you would know that the internal piping must be submersible, mentioning it for others. 👍
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
Oh and the bike is going so much better than it was - guess the hose had been leaking for awhile causing loss of fuel pressure to the injector. Also starts and idles effortlessly  :thumleft:  Maybe the injector cleaning also helped? Bike is still under 20 000km  ;D

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:48:51 pm »
BD, I did some homework on submersible in fuel pipes and learnt that the normal black stuff we use is not going to withstand fuel if kept submerged in fuel, I  got this tube that is rated for inside tank duty.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »
I wonder why then they use the 'black stuff'? My BMW's have also always had black piping in the tank to the pump? I know you get black fuel hose and non-fuel hose ... now if it survives petrol constantly on the inside why not the outside? Just asking ... for a friend  :biggrin:  ... and myself.

What do they call that clear one?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:59:36 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline Tony the Boney

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 04:25:33 pm »
Very interesting, thanks Dom!
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »
Not sure what its called, got a piece from a bike shop after doing a search for fuel submersible tubing.
18 till I die.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 07:52:34 am »
I wonder why then they use the 'black stuff'? My BMW's have also always had black piping in the tank to the pump? I know you get black fuel hose and non-fuel hose ... now if it survives petrol constantly on the inside why not the outside? Just asking ... for a friend  :biggrin:  ... and myself.

What do they call that clear one?

From what I understand, the fuel line is a multi-layer with reinforcing, if it is non-submersible then the outer is a different material, possibly more UV and atmospheric resistant but doesn't like immersion in fuel.  8)

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:03 am »
Makes sense - wondering know if I must pull the pump again ... Sk - where do you get that submersible clear stuff?

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 03:02:40 pm »
BD speak to Runner, sure he can mail you some. He must know where to get it as he has the best bikeshop that I know of.
18 till I die.

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »
I understand that there is fuel hose and there is fuel hose. The difference is hose for 'in tank' were fuel is in contact with the inside and outside of the hose..........and then there is 'normal' fuel hose were only the inside of the hose is in contact with fuel.
Different (mix of) compounds for different applications.