Tank Epoxy - DIY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNaude

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Hi Guys,

I see quite a number of people interested in cleaning and coating old rusty fuel tanks themsevels.

I did this for my bike that has been standing for about 7years. The tank was all rusted and moertoe.The results was absolutely amazing.

Here is a quick breakdown of the what and how, (feel free to comment for any additional info):

You will need:

Prostruct 632
2 liters of pool acid
1.5kg of rough cat sand
1 bottle of spirits (no for consumption)
A pair of strong arms
Lots of beer (this is a long process)

The product is called Prostruct 632 and you can get it from Stoncor in Midrand for about R500 bucks. comes in two containers, 1 being an activator, its about 1.2 - 1.5 liters in total.

1) Take the tank and remove the taps, close them up with tape or something.
2) Take halve the pool acid and halve the cat sand, throw together in the tank and shake vigorously, and I mean properly, don't mess around, skud daardie tank, up
    and down from side to side. A couple of minutes.
3) Then rinse out a few times with water.
4) Repeat step 2, use remaining acid and cat sand
5) Leave the tank in the sun for about an hour to dry
6) Steps 2 and 4 you might have to repeat a few times depending on the amount of k@k inside
7) Leave the tank in the sun for about an hour to dry
agt) Throw the bottle of spirits in and shake well (this is to absorb the remaing water particles)
9) Leave in the sun for another hour
10) Use wifey's hairdryer and blow some hot air into the tank to make sure the tank is properly dried
11) VERY IMPORTANT STEP. Remember the above process takes some time and elbow grease so by the end of step 10 you should have consumed at least a
      6pack of you preferred beverage.
12) Make sure or inspect the inside of the tank that there is no more rust and dirt. Remeber that whatever lining was left inside you have now removed, hence the
      acid. Take note that the inside of your tank might have signs of a slight yellow/orange colour, this is due to oxidation, this is normal.
13) Mix the two containers of Prostruct 632 together in a seperate container, DO NOT use a plastic container when mixing as a chemical process is formed that
      builds up excessive heat, it will melt a plastic container. Mix thoroughly for a few minutes, this will form a suryp type of form.
14) Throw the whole bunch in your tank (make sure the tank has dried properly)
15) Now this is the important part. you will hold the tank with both hands and slowly tilt it from side to side, front to back as to make sure the suryp goes to all the
      small groves and places. Mix for about 7minutes or when you feel happy and satisfied that your tank has lined properly. Then throw out the rest of the epoxy
      before it starts to harden.
16) Place the tank in its natural position and leave for about 5 - 7 days to allow for proper curing time.
17) Sit back and finish what is left of the beer

After doing the above process i can honestly say that the end result was quite astonishing, I am very pleased. Been almost a year and half since and still going strong, no signs of rust whatsoever.

Hope this will help those wanting to do it themselves. Its definetly worth it...

Goodluck en sterkte.