Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MotoGP 2018.  (Read 36576 times)

Offline Sithe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
    • View Profile
Re: MotoGP 2018.
« Reply #740 on: July 05, 2018, 03:03:07 pm »
@TheBear

Is this arrangement a replacement of the Tech3 contract or is this a completely new effort, i.e. is Yamaha still looking for someone to take over the Tech3 bikes ?

I don't know how Yamaha will be able to support two "factory teams" ... it's hard enough supporting two riders in the same factory team  :-\
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Az

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • It wasn't me...
    • View Profile
    • The Marshals
« Reply #741 on: July 05, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »
@TheBear

Is this arrangement a replacement of the Tech3 contract or is this a completely new effort, i.e. is Yamaha still looking for someone to take over the Tech3 bikes ?

I don't know how Yamaha will be able to support two "factory teams" ... it's hard enough supporting two riders in the same factory team  :-\
I thought Tech 3 parted with Yamaha and have signed up with KTM?

Edit for a quick google
www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/motogp/2018/june/motogp-syahrin-remains-with-tech-3-after-ktm-switch/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:56:02 pm by Az »

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 05, 2018, 07:35:15 pm »
In case you missed the Assen TT herewith some info from the MotoGP newsletter:

Assen 2018: watch the best race ever for FREE

You voted the Dutch GP as the best race ever – and you can now watch it in full and for FREE until Friday at 10pm CET

http://email.motogp.com/lnk/AHUAAFd2_T4AAQpupLAAAGPzz58AAO6jJN4AFgNoAAQwNgBbPkagTZYLI5Y9TNSv_nvYSrboFQAD6Is/5/h3YkXofxg0ible4QfXsMdA/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5tb3RvZ3AuY29tL2VuL3ZpZGVvcy8yMDE4LzA3LzAxL2R1dGNoLWdwLW1vdG9ncC1mdWxsLXJhY2UvMjY0MjM4P3V0bV9zb3VyY2U9bmV3c2xldHRlciZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPUVtYWlsJnV0bV9jb250ZW50PU5FRF9Bc3NlbjIwMThGcmVlMjRoX2VuJnV0bV9jYW1wYWlnbj1UcmFmZmlj
Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline TheBear

« Reply #743 on: July 07, 2018, 05:22:28 pm »
@TheBear

Tech3 racing will be a KTM riding team from 2019 onward.  This arrangement is basically replacing the Tech3 team, but it is a completely new effort.  New team sponsor.  New team management.  New team owner.  New riders.  New bikes.  They will therefore not take over the Tech3 Yamahas.  Those will be history after the 2018 season.  Yamaha will not have to support two factory teams.  Keep in mind, the satellite teams pay huge amounts for the bikes, spares and support.  Basically Yamaha will only supply full support to the factory team.  The new team will get what they pay for and that price is usually negotiated with some interesting perks both ways. and often includes riders, testing and data sharing  Tech3's contract made a price for the factory bikes from the previous season and then they would upgrade as they could afford and Yamaha's willingness to supply.  The new team, so it sounds will have much more money and are pushing for a better, albeit more expensive contract. 

I think Yamaha was caught pants down during the latter half of the 2016 season and at the start of the 2017 season and is only now waking up.  My reasons are that both Honda and Ducati poached top notch software engineers from  Magneti Marelli, the manufacturers of the ECU and the software on it.   Yamaha chose not to.  Then Honda and Ducati again left Yamaha in their wake in terms of clever plans.  They decided to supply one full factory spec bike to their satellite teams.  They also signed contracts with the riders who would ride them.  So, Cal Crutchlow and Damilo Petrucci became employees of their res[pective factory teams.  These deals also required the Cal bike for Honda and the Petrucci bike for Ducati shared all info with the factory bikes and visa versa.  Honda even went one step further.  As part of their deal with Cal's team, he needs to test parts for the factory team prior to fitment on the race bikes.

Yamaha again chose not to do the same.  If Yamaha had a Magnetti Marelli expert on board and had full access to the data from a third bike, such as that of Johann Zarco, things may have been very different for Yamaha the past two seasons.  Seems they have now woken up a tad and is willing to do a similar deal with the new Yamaha satellite team.  My guess is they will contract one rider and that rider would have a full spec factory bike. 
.#BRADICAL!

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #744 on: July 12, 2018, 10:06:09 am »
Ok, so I am back in a country with proper internet internet connection after our quick break in our UK holiday to go and watch MotoGP at Assen!
What can I say about the race that has not been said, or reported or posted on YouTube already?? What a race....and what an experience to have seen in in real life, live at the Cathedral of Speed......a day I will remember for a very long time.

We stayed in Amsterdam and took the train to Assen. Already at 7am in Amsterdam Central Station the vibe was cheerful and upbeat as a whole lot of people waited on the platform to catch the train to Assen. Say what you want about VR46, but he still has the biggest fanbase in MotoGP by a long shot. I would say that 75% of people I saw on the train and at Assen were wearing some or other Rossi kit. MM93 had a few followers and then here and there you saw some other numbers. But VR46 were just everywhere. He truly dominates the MotoGP Fanbase.....

I have a few pics from where we sat at Ossebroeken Tribune, they are all taken from the same spot, so not much variation  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Whoop Whoop.....Happy Days!!

Arriving at the Cathedral of Speed

Ready to Race!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Moto2 under way

Brad Binder doing his thing, he had a massive moment on the front end right in front of us....

The two Moto2 RedBull KTM boys klapping it

End of Moto2 Race

Then it was on to MotoGP proper....

Vale Fans all over the show...

The Electric Bike going around, they are really pushing this. There were commentary and interviews and what not for quite a while explaining how it will all work and how the racing will go etc etc. You cannot hear a thing when it goes past……

Warm up lap

Racing – The sound is just AMAZING!!

Almost every lap they came around the front guys swopped positions, the crowd was going nuts!

And then, in a blink of an eye it was all over!

What an experience!!
 8) 8)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:58:34 am by EtienneXplore »

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:45 am »
What an experience indeed!!

You were lucky to watch an exciting race, I was at Catalunya this year and the race was rather dull, the crowd and the experience was fantastic though.

I didn't bother to take cell phone pics of the race, here are some I took in and around. The Spaniards are bike crazy, there are massive bike parking lots everywhere so I could get front door parking with my poegie :biggrin:
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #746 on: July 12, 2018, 11:34:46 am »
Nice pics!  Thanks for sharing.  It must have been one heck of an experience.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 12, 2018, 12:49:05 pm »
Nice pics indeed, can only imagine electric bikes passes tjoepstil then the next moment a roaring desmosidici and RCV comes past ! Cant imagine racing with no sound  :-\
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline TheBear

« Reply #748 on: July 12, 2018, 01:29:47 pm »
This evening, so they say, Dani Pedrosa will make an announcement on his future.  Will it be:

- Retirement?
- Rider for Petronas Yamaha?
- Rider for another MGP team?
- Moderator on the WildDogs Forum?

.#BRADICAL!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 12, 2018, 03:18:32 pm »
This evening, so they say, Dani Pedrosa will make an announcement on his future.  Will it be:

- Retirement?
Go to SBK ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • DILLIGAF
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: July 12, 2018, 04:22:52 pm »

- Retirement?
He has just announced his retirement from racing!
Just because your bachelors did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #751 on: July 12, 2018, 04:34:55 pm »

- Retirement?

Wilddogs will finally break him. :thumleft:

@ I&horse; Is that poegie you're on a little Peugoet? :eek7:

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 12, 2018, 05:36:46 pm »
Peugeot Tweet
110km/h flatbox bucking like a rideo bull
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #753 on: July 12, 2018, 06:31:23 pm »
Peugeot Tweet
110km/h flatbox bucking like a rideo bull

:imaposer:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #754 on: July 12, 2018, 06:51:02 pm »

- Retirement?

Yeah.  A bit sad for me.  I would have liked to see him on a Yamaha.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:22 am »

- Retirement?

Physically too small for the big bikes, but the talent was there.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline TheBear

« Reply #756 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:23 am »

- Retirement?

Physically too small for the big bikes, but the talent was there.

Not sure that he is too small.  The Repsol Honda was initially build for him specifically. 

He does have the talent,  but just like many other riders, rode in a difficult period in terms of competition.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 14, 2018, 07:00:58 pm »
Stonking final Q session - MM on point again!
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250 XCW BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #758 on: July 15, 2018, 10:09:52 am »
Stonking final Q session - MM on point again!

Janee!  What a freaking awesome qualifying lap!? 

Seems the race will be Honda versus Ducati as the Yamahas are struggling for grip, especially if the track temperature is a bit high.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • View Profile
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #759 on: July 15, 2018, 10:15:10 am »
Start time?