BUYING A REBUILD BIKE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VANZ76

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I am in the process of looking for a larger motorbike, and selling my G650GS, to part fund the purchase. I have seen a particular F800GS 2012 model for sale at R60k. The owner is upfront that it was written-off by ons insurance, and "rebuilt" by BMW Donford's. It is registered as a Class 3 motorbike due to what happened to it.

Should I consider buying a rebuild? It is purely for commuting purposes and not as an investment to sell-on later. Aparently the display [mileage / gear change] was stolen whilst at Donford's because it stood there for some time, so they [Donfords] replaced it with another display module. However, the current owner says that it has only done approximately 13,000km but because BMW had to replace the display module, it displays the milage done from the bike it was taken from, which shows approximately 21,000km

Is R60k worth the spend if it is in really good nick, and goes well when taken for a test ride? How would the bike' s status as rebuild, affect insurance on it and would it pass it's roadworthy test?