Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: An Interesting & Seemingly Objective "Argument" - CRF1000 vs 1090 Adv  (Read 8386 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: An Interesting & Seemingly Objective "Argument" - CRF1000 vs 1090 Adv
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »
Small wonder most riders kak themselves for sand, they cannot deflate their tubeless enough for fear of it coming off the beading.

But yes, if this was a commuting forum, tubeless would have been better. :pot:

Is that the only reason why tube tires are preferred for off road riding, deflating for sand? I really want to know what the reasoning is behind it.

A badly damaged tyre can still be used if a tube is fitted, and a gaiter of sorts. No chance riding any further on a tubeless wheel with a ripped tyre.

Like Bwana pointed out, a tubed tyre will work on a badly dented rim, tubeless not at all.

Tubeless is very limiting when it comes to deflating for sand. You get a tyre off a beading very quickly.

No, argument that a "normal" repair on a tubeless is so much easier than on a tubed tyre.

I am talking from a point of riding dual sport, and not just commuting.

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2017, 03:40:17 pm »
Thanks guys, makes total sense. I usually carry inside, outside gators and mushroom plugs with me in addition to the normal tubeless repair kit, will now be adding a tube as well!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2017, 04:09:36 pm »
Small wonder most riders kak themselves for sand, they cannot deflate their tubeless enough for fear of it coming off the beading.

Is that the only reason why tube tires are preferred for off road riding, deflating for sand? I really want to know what the reasoning is behind it.

A badly damaged tyre can still be used if a tube is fitted, and a gaiter of sorts. No chance riding any further on a tubeless wheel with a ripped tyre.

Like Bwana pointed out, a tubed tyre will work on a badly dented rim, tubeless not at all.

Tubeless is very limiting when it comes to deflating for sand. You get a tyre off a beading very quickly.

No, argument that a "normal" repair on a tubeless is so much easier than on a tubed tyre.

::) yes you can...you just fit a tube ;)

Life is too short to ride a Honda..... 

:peepwall:

Just kidding, rode my fair share of them. Good bikes. I'd rather have a 1090 R if it was me. But i'd have either if you are giving them away  :biggrin:

It's the end of a long year I can see. Some okes are now just arguing for argument's sake.

Anyway guys, enjoy your tubes, tubeless, KTM's Hondas, BMW's and all the rest...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:14:00 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2017, 08:16:12 pm »
 :laughing4:

Jumping off that platform I see Renrew, Omninorm, who else, who else?? :imaposer:

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2017, 08:32:42 pm »

Jumping off that platform I see Renrew, Omninorm, who else, who else?? :imaposer:

LOL Dan
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2017, 08:50:07 pm »

LOL Dan

:thumleft: hey bud!

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2017, 08:25:15 am »

Not that I have a pony in this race, I think all the 800 - litres class bikes are much of a muchness.  However, a tubeless motorcycle rim has a much more pronounced bead than a tube rim.  And then they have that little inner shoulder as well. It is actually pretty difficult to get the tyre off the rim, both to get the tire into the well and over the outer shoulder.  A lifetime ago, I used to take a 1200GS Adventure into dunes and dry river beds as a party trick.  I would take the valve core out and then replace the valve cap to keep the sand out. That allowed me to run on totally flat tyres.  Never had one come unseated.  The flip-side of this is that the guys stating that they simply take a tube along if they had a carcass tear, might be in for a surprise.  For the reasons above, doing a simple roadside repair on a tubeless wheel with a tube might need impeccable technique.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:40:34 am by Bill the Bong »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2017, 04:10:58 pm »
That small little inner shoulder is the problem if you deflate a tubeless tyre and it comes off the beading.

A tubed rear you could still ride flat if it is equipped with a rimlock, but not a tubeless. The rim simply spins in the tyre.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2017, 07:23:59 pm »
I've seen those ridges on tubed rims - I assume they are there for keeping the tyre on the rim in case of a flat. Good idea really and although I've had to fight them, I've always managed to replace tubes when necessary.

I've always had tubes so don't know different, except for mousses, which is probably the only evidence of a god .....  :biggrin:

Question for those in the know: - Last time in the middle of nowhere, a fellow rider on an 800 had a flat on his rear tyre. After searching we found bugger-all so pumped it up and found air leaking from the rim, past the tyre. No obvious damage. Maybe it was sand but he rode the flat for a while so more sand coulda got in, I don't know.

I'm tooled for tubes so just stared and said 'Shame' while he searched for his spare wheel.

But then the bastard used all 1 of his bombs and all of mine. Is there a repair for this? That foam crap or something? Worms and a bomb don't cut it. And carrying a tube means you gotta carry all the stuff that goes with it - wheel spanners, levers, pump, etc.

Not that I mind helping but I reckon all riders with me should carry all their own stuff - in case I'm not there - you never know when one's gonna ride off a cliff, do you?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline XRRX

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2017, 09:35:53 pm »
This thread went haywire in every possible direction ...  :-\
Now it's about the old "tube vs tubeless" debate ...
I'm sure in the end both systems have their pro's and con's, and should not really affect one's buying-decision.  :deal:

But, beware, this is how it looks when things goes bad on an "unsuccessful" tubeless repair (originally minor puncture) at high speed! The damage to the bike's electronics was so severe, that it was written off, but the rider was fortunate enough to tell the tale ... (I took these pictures myself a few years ago between Riversdale and Albertinia - had a thread about it at the time. The bike was brand new - on it's maiden run from Cape Town to George.)

Offline landieman

« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:33 am »
WTF!!that was a lucky escape for the rider.still holding my breath for the new Tenere  :peepwall:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2017, 09:57:37 am »
Just spent an hour reading this thread and thought I should inform the parties that Tampons are on special at spar this coming weekend.

Go ride both and go buy the BMW 1200GS you know you want to  :imaposer: :pot:

Is n paar dae terug gevra of ek enige een van die 2 manne kenne wat mekaar so vervat en gedink ek moet die thread gaan lees. Het dit nou sit doen en my opsomming...

1. Ek het n AT DCT gery , maar van n Hp2 afgeklim en weer daarna met hom huis toe gery. My opinie hier oor daai dag gaan n heel nuwe sakswaaiery ontketen, so...

2. Werner, ek is bitter dankbaar jy is nie n BMW fan soos wat jy  KTM fan is nie. 2StrokeDan sou n field day met jou gehad het :imaposer: :imaposer:

2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2017, 11:18:48 am »
Just spent an hour reading this thread and thought I should inform the parties that Tampons are on special at spar this coming weekend.

Go ride both and go buy the BMW 1200GS you know you want to  :imaposer: :pot:

Is n paar dae terug gevra of ek enige een van die 2 manne kenne wat mekaar so vervat en gedink ek moet die thread gaan lees. Het dit nou sit doen en my opsomming...

1. Ek het n AT DCT gery , maar van n Hp2 afgeklim en weer daarna met hom huis toe gery. My opinie hier oor daai dag gaan n heel nuwe sakswaaiery ontketen, so...

2. Werner, ek is bitter dankbaar jy is nie n BMW fan soos wat jy  KTM fan is nie. 2StrokeDan sou n field day met jou gehad het :imaposer: :imaposer:

Ek is n GROOT fan van die HP2, ek soek nog net die regte een ;) Maar nie rerig die aflewerings fiets variant van die BMWs nie :lol8:

Ag Dan is eintlik maar n softy met n paar harde patches :lol8: rakende fanboy, ek is n KTM fan vir n rede, nie nootwendig alle KTMs nie, maar daar is wel baie spesifieke redes. Ek herkou nie net blindelings artikels nie, veral nie as ek nie eers selfs net een van die motorfietse al lekker gery het nie...

So het jy toe vir jou die AT DCT gekry?
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W