Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: An Interesting & Seemingly Objective "Argument" - CRF1000 vs 1090 Adv  (Read 8410 times)

Offline dirtyXT

interesting. almost decided to save up for a AT next.   but the 1090 doesn't seem half bad. i like the off-road but commute mostly. following this robust thread

And how could anyone not feel happy with either of these magnificent machines?

To think there was a time when I traversed the Karoo on a DT400 and thought how lucky I was to be on such a steed. Also weird how it was my happiest riding time.
would be difficult. just not sold on 1000cc bikes. seems overkill.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: An Interesting & Seemingly Objective "Argument" - CRF1000 vs 1090 Adv
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2017, 06:46:56 am »

would be difficult. just not sold on 1000cc bikes. seems overkill.
Just go ride both. You just might be pleasantly surprised . ...especially with tge AT DCT
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:53:01 am by McSack »
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
interesting. almost decided to save up for a AT next.   but the 1090 doesn't seem half bad. i like the off-road but commute mostly. following this robust thread

And how could anyone not feel happy with either of these magnificent machines?

To think there was a time when I traversed the Karoo on a DT400 and thought how lucky I was to be on such a steed. Also weird how it was my happiest riding time.

My DT400 was one of my best bikes, no question. Camel tank, bit of porting and polishing - a flying canary with a luvly powerband  >:D
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline plonker

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2017, 10:11:44 am »
Simple really.. My Brain wants the Honda , my heart wants the KTM. That 1090R is just so darn sexy. It looks sexy , sounds sexy , goes sexy and gives me a huge bulge. But no doubt the right bike for me is the Honda. The baked balls on a hot day in Baviaans. I would have to stop and splash them at each river crossing  :imaposer: Now imagine if you are in a desert with no water crossings   :dousing:

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2017, 10:57:13 am »
Simple really.. My Brain wants the Honda , my heart wants the KTM. That 1090R is just so darn sexy. It looks sexy , sounds sexy , goes sexy and gives me a huge bulge. But no doubt the right bike for me is the Honda. The baked balls on a hot day in Baviaans. I would have to stop and splash them at each river crossing  :imaposer: Now imagine if you are in a desert with no water crossings   :dousing:

Ahhhhh therin lies the rub. Bikes are not bought with your head :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline bud500

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2017, 11:27:21 am »

The same with some reasoning on this thread it seems.... :lol8:
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2017, 11:44:07 am »

...and honestly .....who would want it any other way?  :thumleft:  :ricky:
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Online WimC

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2017, 02:18:14 pm »
Compared to my XT660Z Tenere the 1090R is supremely comfortable. I recently did a 1000 km round trip to Carnavon Gorge in 2 days, moving average 96km/h and just fuel stops. It might not sound like much but consider Aussie speed limits and the fact that I had a heart transplant in July 2016. No sign of cooked balls either, the Powerpart seat working a treat. The Australian outback is literally not a cool place. I find the AT cockpit a lot more cramped as I am 6"3.
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Yamaha WR250R

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2017, 02:25:33 pm »
Carnavon Gorge

I tried to figure out where de hel is that gorge in Carnarvon and then I saw there is a Carnarvon in Aus where youre at. :deal: :P
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2017, 02:35:33 pm »
Without adding fuel to the already raging fire...  :lol8:

I am genuinely weighing my options regarding these two bike.  I currently ride a NC700 and everywhere I hear that the AT is a great next bike from where I am.  On the other hand I fell in love with the 1050/1090.  A lot of people don't like the new shapes, but I LOVE it  :drif:

Now the question I have.  I was told that Ktm in general has issues with parts availability... and Honda is a lot more reliable when it comes to parts

Is there any truth in the Ktm statement??
the Truth will offend at first

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2017, 02:38:42 pm »
The Honda has no soul, it's an attempt at a mass market ADV bike. They lost it when the real AT was produced, they have instead gone for the clinaical approach, it will seem, out of fear that some fat, stupid American has a crash and Honda get sued, like the early 80's with those ridiculous 3 wheel things that crashed 10 to the dozen in the US. Honda have tried the middle road approach, average horse power, average suspension, average brakes - the same as they did wit the new Fireblade.
This might be a good recipe to follow in order to try and capture some of the BMW market, give them a safe option --- KTM decided to follow a different route, knowing the 1090R is not going to be the bike for the mass's. Honda can/ could have done so much better than what they did, the safe option works for most people, for the rest of us we like the "vindaloo" option, hot/ spicy and different.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »
The Honda has no soul, it's an attempt at a mass market ADV bike. They lost it when the real AT was produced, they have instead gone for the clinaical approach, it will seem, out of fear that some fat, stupid American has a crash and Honda get sued, like the early 80's with those ridiculous 3 wheel things that crashed 10 to the dozen in the US. Honda have tried the middle road approach, average horse power, average suspension, average brakes - the same as they did wit the new Fireblade.
This might be a good recipe to follow in order to try and capture some of the BMW market, give them a safe option --- KTM decided to follow a different route, knowing the 1090R is not going to be the bike for the mass's. Honda can/ could have done so much better than what they did, the safe option works for most people, for the rest of us we like the "vindaloo" option, hot/ spicy and different.

Jy Coktril is n kenner. Dis hoekom ek jou laaaaik :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2017, 06:31:17 pm »
Without adding fuel to the already raging fire...  :lol8:

I am genuinely weighing my options regarding these two bike.  I currently ride a NC700 and everywhere I hear that the AT is a great next bike from where I am.  On the other hand I fell in love with the 1050/1090.  A lot of people don't like the new shapes, but I LOVE it  :drif:

Now the question I have.  I was told that Ktm in general has issues with parts availability... and Honda is a lot more reliable when it comes to parts

Is there any truth in the Ktm statement??

weird! I was under the impression that the opposite was true?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2017, 06:36:59 pm »
KTM part availability, believe it or not, is better than Honda's.

But one has to factor in that KTM's need that part availability.

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
KTM part availability, believe it or not, is better than Honda's.

But one has to factor in that KTM's need that part availability.

thought so  :thumleft:

yip, an exciting bike is probably working at its limits  ;D

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2017, 07:45:13 am »

My Yamaha XT600E is a better long-distance traveller than my 701, simply because the 701 concedes a lot in terms of being good off-road.  The 701 seat is shaped to move around on, and less comfortable. You sit right on top of the bike, in the wind, less comfortable.

How about this one then TweeSlagDaan?

Something to take it "rustiger" on after the prang? Sure you can modify yours like this, should be easy if enough parts are left  >:D ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:47:56 am by Bikerboer1973 »

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2017, 08:39:27 am »
This has been done (artists wet dream aside) already and I must say is very tempting - am still though holding out some hope on the 790...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Coala

« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2017, 08:42:59 am »
 :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2017, 08:46:37 am »
Yes BIG  fapfap

Offline XRRX

« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2017, 12:51:00 pm »
So Renrew - apologies for judging you and getting personal !!!

Whether I was right or wrong is irrelevant and unnecessary!!!

The fact that we are both maybe a bit too emotional about bikes/brands is clear, and if it wasn't for that - this thread would probably have ended on page 1 without so much as a rimple ....  not talking about the obvious "damage-control" of 2 pages ...  :peepwall: ::)

I belief KTM and Honda and most other brands is also well aware of strong differences in character like these, that's why the two bikes in question in this thread is very much the same, but also so very different!! The differences is not by accident, but was engineered into them by humans ...

Not to step on any more toes: my opinion is that KTM's development cost was much lower than Honda's in this case, as the 1090 seems to be a "softened love-child" of the original 950/990's ...
The AT on the other hand is totally new and designed to appeal to a broader spectrum of riders and personalities, to make sure the development cost gets paid eventually ...
My past experience on the 990 S and AT is similar (none on the 1090), and you can never "relax" on a 990S - it's always ready to bite you if you are not wide awake!!
The AT gives you the opportunity to relax and cruise, but also to get wild if you so wish ... It's "smoothness" in comparison to the 990 is actually uncanny - and you also have to be aware that you are usually going much faster than it "feels" !!
I think I'm ready for the latter version ...  ;)