Lets talk about the Super Duke 990....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco L

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Although this is a DS forum, there are very knowledgeable guys here.

First things first, I know nothing of KTM, except that its a brands you either love or hate.

I have always loved nakeds and the look of the Super Duke speaks for itself. I find it a very aggressive, sexy looking animal. A Hooligan machine.
I am not looking for a 300km/h bike, I am looking for something that was designed to exhilarate, to inspire, to REBEL..(Not that 300km/h won't exhilarate)

I have seen guys here praise the LC8 motor , recently following the rebuild thread of Cocky's 990 S with 160 000km, that's a lot.

I have also seen issues wrt the water pump seal, oil leaks etc. So is the LC8 motor really that good?
Is it something that can rack up high miles, specifically in the Super Duke's configuration?
Is maintenance and repair costs really an issue with KTM?

Are there any 990 Super Duke owners on here that would like to tell me how much they love/hate the bike?

Please excuse bad grammar, I am a boerkie for those who cant tell ;-) 

I do not mind keeping a hand on maintenance, especially on a higher performance machine where maintenance are even more crucial, but will proper maintenance
keep the wallet happy in the long run?