Han Solo's new route from KZN to Western Cape over new year...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Liddell

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Looks like this is going to be a solo mission.  This is not by design, but because none of the guys I normally ride with can join me, and to date the few nibbles from further afield have not materialised into anything. The last time I did a solo ride, only a day ride up Sani and back,  I got a front puncture on my old KLR half way up which proved to be fun with no centre stand, short tyre levers and no soapy water.  The were however many helpful offers from good Samaritans on that day. 
I digress.  The trip outlined below is one that I have been pondering for nearly two years now, but because of the logistics involved, and not wanting to rush it, at least 10 days are required to do this at any sane pace.  All previous plans were based on a seven day journey which was just not going to cut it.
Not wanting to miss Christmas with my wife and kids, I have decided to depart on the 27th and return early in January.  New year doesn't mean much to me, having worked over new year for at least half my life in the entertainment industry, and my wife and I are usually asleep before the countdown anyway.

After a few amendments, having read some RR's and chatted to people who have been "down this road", this is the route:

27 Dec  PMB to Rhodes 431km
28 Dec  Rhodes to Hogsback 356km
29 Dec  Hogsback to Patensie 380km
30 Dec  Patensie to Uniondale 227km
31 Dec  Uniondale to George 172km
1 Jan  George to Gamkaskloof 161km
2 Jan  Gamlaskloof to Nieu Bethesda 396k
3 Jan  Nieu Bethesda to Wepenaar 424km
4 Jan  Wepenaar to Clarens 239km
5 Jan  Clarens to PMB 328km

I have tried to incorporate the traversing of obvious mountain passes on each day where possible.

The total planned distance is just over 3,100km and at a guess I would say around 60% gravel with the big tar bits on the first, ninth and tenth days.
As they say, the devil is in the detail so my prep will start in earnest tomorrow (19th) and will include tools & accessories, camping equipment, camera & communication kit, clothing, food, medicine, luggage and bike prep. 
My intention is not to book accommodation or camp sites in advance, since things don't always go to plan. I do not absolutely need to be back by 5 January either so I may slip in a rest day here or there.  I will however call the camping establishments in advance to get their take on this...