Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will I get used to this? (Changed tyres from karoo's to wild's)  (Read 910 times)

Offline krokonoster

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • HungryMind
Will I get used to this? (Changed tyres from karoo's to wild's)
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:47:00 pm »
Please note that while I like to push myself and bike I'm still pretty new in regards to what tyres I used so far

Heidenau's : 1000km and got rid of it.

Karoo 3's:  9, 000 km, did tons of crazy stuff with it, but decided to try Anakee Wilds and see if I can score a little mileage (just a bit.  off-road tyres and mileage does not belong in the same sentence IMO)

Anakee Wilds: 2000 km since last Saturday.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the Anakees was a great idea.   Besides not knowing how it performs at low speeds in rough terrain (sand/rocks/etc) at higher speeds I want to kak myself

On tar at around 140, the front start wobbling.  I made it harder (3.0 front and back), much better and rather ride 150, 160.  OK as long I sit still.  Move a  bit and the front start wobbling again.

Did about 400-500 km gravel the weekend,  mostly hard packed dirt which was fine.  However, whenever I hit some loose sand/gravel I want to kak myself all over.
It's kinda like the front "dig into" the earth more,  and the front (even back) behave like the Karoo's would if I hit a proper sand patch (which I did not yet), start dancing and all.

Figured make time next week and go look for some proper technical terrain with rocks / sand / etc and see if there's any real advantage other than mileage and what seems a to be a bit lower fuel consumption.  (might be wrong)

NOT trying to bash the tire,   but since I only rode a year (half offroad) my hard earned confidence goes out the window when things feel different so just want to hear if others will say "chill, you'll get used to it and then it will be better than the Karoo's"

For what it matter, this weekends 1700km (500 of it OR) on a GS Adventure, tank pretty full most the time with both side panniers moderately heavy.   I usually go off-road with a quarter tank as far possible, no panniers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:49:44 pm by krokonoster »

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
Re: Will I get used to this? (Changed tyres from karoo's to wild's)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »
Keep the rear and fit a TKC80 on the front. 
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

The following users thanked this post: krokonoster

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:50:13 am »
Keep the rear and fit a TKC80 on the front.

Actually wanted to do that (spent a whole evening watching reviews/ etc while deciding what to buy)

But either case, surely no tire is supposed to behave like that?   Figured let me go to Guts (did not put the tires on there) and ask for a balance check.

Offline katana

• Forum Whore
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 11:30:26 am »
There are lots of excellent tires on the marked, and some batches have duds.  I score a lot of confidence from a decent front tire.  Even now with the narrower profile 21", the TKC doesn't disappoint.  Tar, gravel, grass whatever.  The great all rounder.  I will not try another TKC80 rear again though.  The E07 offers comparable grip at a better price for way more mileage.  That is my personal preference and I stick to what works for me.

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 11:50:42 am »
There are lots of excellent tires on the marked, and some batches have duds.  I score a lot of confidence from a decent front tire.  Even now with the narrower profile 21", the TKC doesn't disappoint.  Tar, gravel, grass whatever.  The great all rounder.  I will not try another TKC80 rear again though.  The E07 offers comparable grip at a better price for way more mileage.  That is my personal preference and I stick to what works for me.

yeah, I just did not have a chance yet to try more tires.  (only started this year, 20k km so far), hence me trying the Wilds (was happy with Karoo,  but way I ride made knobbles look like a rottweiler chewed it)

Unfortunately just put this tires on 2 weeks ago (but did 2000 km, of which about 500 dirt) so trying something new right now is not an option.

Do you think there's a way for someone to see if the specific tire is a "bad one"?   Don't want to go back to the dealer (who have a great reputation) talking tos.

Offline katana

• Forum Whore
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 11:54:43 am »
A easy way is to have the rim balanced with the tire on.  A lot of weights needed, dodgy tire.  Could also be a bent rim though.  Balance the empty rim first?  Not sure on the last one.  Never tried it.  I have had where a good handling worn tire was replaced and the new tire balancing added a shed load of weights.

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:57:27 am »
A easy way is to have the rim balanced with the tire on.  A lot of weights needed, dodgy tire.  Could also be a bent rim though.  Balance the empty rim first?  Not sure on the last one.  Never tried it.  I have had where a good handling worn tire was replaced and the new tire balancing added a shed load of weights.

Yeah lot of weights used.  like 2 strips next to each other about 10cm in length.  Not sure normal,  but never saw so many on a tire of my own.

Offline weskus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 08:31:54 am »
The way you describe the handling would most likely NOT be a balance issue. The more aggressive the tyre the more it tend to behave like that. I had the same thing with a Mitas C23 if I remember correctly.. If you got 9000km off a Karoo never-ever change..3000 on a 990 if you're lucky
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline weskus

• Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 08:35:14 am »
(had the same thing with a Mitas C23 if I remember correctly) Nope sorry, was a Mitas 644..
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 08:45:44 am »
T If you got 9000km off a Karoo never-ever change..3000 on a 990 if you're lucky

Rear (Karoo 3) after 3,000 km it starts look gnarly, 4,000 and I have to change  (but then... I like to do technical stuff and locking/sliding in the dirt, plus do a lot of tar with them)

Front....will last 3 rears

Thanks for the advice.   Maybe I cried to0 early because starting to get used to it.  Need to go play in sand / deep gravel with it.

Online boland

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 08:46:20 am »
I bought my 990 with quite a scary front wobble from 90 km/h onwards. I changed the Pirelli Scorpion front out for a TKC80 and problem went away :thumleft:

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 08:48:23 am »
I bought my 990 with quite a scary front wobble from 90 km/h onwards. I changed the Pirelli Scorpion front out for a TKC80 and problem went away :thumleft:

Actually waiting for Guts to send me a quote on a TCK80 for the  front.  Want to try it ..need to figure best tires for my riding because this year was learning, next year ... go bananas.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 09:04:06 am »
For me there is really no alternative to a TKC80 in front.

All conditions it remains predictable and reliable

I have 6500 on my present one and I amsure it will do another 2-3k

Nowaday I ride with it inflated hard. 2.5 on tar and gravel.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Online Noneking

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 09:46:49 am »

I have the problem with mine too, gravel only though......
Replacing it soon with a tkc
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 09:58:51 am »
Actually, what you are seeing is that your suspension set-up is out.  Basically you tire profile is taking you beyond the safe set-up as far as front rebound is concerned.  If you were able to adjust the rebound, the window where tires will work, becomes larger.

However, depending on your specific geometry, you might be able to tune it out by simply adjusting rear ride-height.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:01:15 am by Bill the Bong »

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 09:34:00 pm »
Actually, what you are seeing is that your suspension set-up is out.  Basically you tire profile is taking you beyond the safe set-up as far as front rebound is concerned.  If you were able to adjust the rebound, the window where tires will work, becomes larger.

However, depending on your specific geometry, you might be able to tune it out by simply adjusting rear ride-height.

This comment took way to long.

Go play with your suspension settings rather.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 08:11:39 am »

I tend to agree with this. New tyres often require some adjustments on the suspension. I also agree that the TKC is basically the best tyre for on-off road riding for big bikes.

We had endless problems with the TKC front (oddly) on a 800GS down to the fact that you can't adjust the front suspension - we have a fairly unused TKC front lying in the garage.

BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 10:27:51 am »
When I bought my SE it had TKC 80 up front, very stable. When worn I replaced with Dunlop Rally Raid D908. Brilliant grip on slow dirt but on tar it weaves so bad its lewensgevaarlik! To be honest on fast dirt it also weaves. Can't go above 160 on tar then it becomes really bad, even Scotts steering damper seems to do nothing to tame it. Also got D908 on the back, fitted same time. As it was stable before it can only be the tyres.
I think each bike has tyres it likes and you just have to find them, problem is when you get it wrong it spoils your fun for however long the piece of shit lasts!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.