Jap thumper advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suikerland

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR500
Question here -
I've got a DL650 (AKA VStrom). It's my first twin -  I came to that bike by way of XT500 + another XT500 + SR500 + KTM640SM + XR650R (dirt) + another XR650R (supermotard). So there's thumpers in my blood.

So, the Vstrom does EXACTLY what I want it do - which is 2-up day trips and overnight trips, comfortable hours on highway at 140 / 150, plus plenty Southern Cape gravel back roads and some slightly rougher bits like Rooiberg pass etc. Cheap to run, super-reliable etc etc blah blah checks all those boxes, does what it should. happy happy.

But life isn't life without a thumper.
So I'm at the point where I'm about to sell another less-used road bike and get a thumper to add to the Vstrom. Mainly for me, but also 2-up with the wife now and then. (Although the Vstrom will be mainly for the 2-up stuff and long-haul trips.)  I'm looking at 2nd hand market.

So - opinions - which Jap thumper is going to come closest to what the Vstrom is doing? ie.  solo 1/2/3 hour shunt down the highway at decent speed to get onto a gravel road and then do a few hours scenic dirt / farm road stuff, maybe some passes. Nothing technical. Plus maybe day trips, 2-up with (small) wife, couple of hours each way. Reliable, stable, predictable. I know I wont get Vstrom comfort & highway manners but what comes closest is what I'm looking for.

Judging by what I've been reading here and elsewhere XT660R is the probably closest fit?
KLR might be lacking some oomph for 2-up rides and highway miles. XRL and DR a bit minimalist maybe. Let me know if I'm missing any other obvious options.
Thanks