Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Jap thumper advice please  (Read 1955 times)

Offline BliknÍrs

• Drink your beer, there's sober kids in Africa. Says the honourable
  • Bike: Honda CTX200
  • I never finish anyt...
    • View Profile
Re: Jap thumper advice please
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2017, 06:42:08 pm »
I hate to be a party pooper but the OP says clearly "JAP" thats short for JAPANESE and "THUMPER" which would indicate a single cylinder.
 :peepwall: :pot:
So you clever okes thats suggesting KTM this and Husqvarna that are all wrong.
OP should be looking at a DR650 or KLR not necessarily in that order.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:12:37 pm by BliknÍrs »
Vorige Skoeters: KR125,YB100,XL250,XR500RE,TS400,XL600,PE250,GPz1100,TT600,XT550,XL500,KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica,IT465,IT490,XR650R,VZ800,YZF-R1x2,TL1000,GSXR750K4,GSXR1000K6x2,DR650,DL1000, tans CTX200, '64 CT90 R1150GSA

Offline Casting from Turd

• I am the reason my children will never have kids
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2017, 08:28:17 pm »
@ Suikerland,

You have a bike which does EXACTLY what you want it to do...and yet, you want to buy another bike for EXACTLY the same purpose  ???  ::)

Does not make a lot of sense to me.

My advice will be : Don`t live for today only !  There`s always a tomorrow too.

Rather save some money for the rainy days which will come - that i can promise you !

A bike is a bike is a bike. You have what you wanted if i am not mistaken.Be happy with it. :thumleft:

Jirre ou. Let the oke scratch his "juk"man.   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

XR650L tiks all the boxes.
How many is enough bikes????
1 more than you already have   :thumleft:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline Swannie 685

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2017, 08:58:32 pm »
@ Casting from Turd,

But that`s the problem. He already scratched his "juk"and bought a V-Str%nt, sorry, i mean a V-Strom,  :peepwall:

If he wasn`t happy, then i would have suggested a switch by all means, but he is as happy as can be. :3some:

Wanneer ek iets wil herstel, is dit heeltemal gef*k daarna.

Vorige bikes: Suzuki 50cc, Yamaha 185,Honda 250,Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda CB900F en Suzuki DR500. Tans Kawasaki KLR 685

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2017, 09:26:17 am »
@ Casting from Turd,

But that`s the problem. He already scratched his "juk"and bought a V-Str%nt, sorry, i mean a V-Strom,  :peepwall:

If he wasn`t happy, then i would have suggested a switch by all means, but he is as happy as can be. :3some:

Ja nee tjom. As n man dse hol juk moet hy gekrap raak  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline Swannie 685

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2017, 11:08:09 am »
@ CfT,

Ek gaan nog jou mond uitwas met seep. :deal:

Lyk my mens kan jou ok net 2 keer na mense toe vat. Die eerste keer om te ontmoet en die 2de keer om verskoning te gaan vra. :3some:  :lol8:

Wanneer ek iets wil herstel, is dit heeltemal gef*k daarna.

Vorige bikes: Suzuki 50cc, Yamaha 185,Honda 250,Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda CB900F en Suzuki DR500. Tans Kawasaki KLR 685

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2017, 11:44:20 am »
@ CfT,

Ek gaan nog jou mond uitwas met seep. :deal:

Lyk my mens kan jou ok net 2 keer na mense toe vat. Die eerste keer om te ontmoet en die 2de keer om verskoning te gaan vra. :3some:  :lol8:

En jy vergeet vannie derde keer.
Om die mnse se gesteelde goed terug te gee.   

Seep my tjom doen my farkall   :imaposer: :imaposer:. Vra vir Menic, die vet ou naai  :pot:
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Aka Sprocket Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2018, 03:05:16 pm »
Your solution is simple. Get a KTM 640, 690 or even a 500 and leave your Missus at home. Take the rear foot pegs off before you even bring it home so that you have a valid excuse.

Listen to Rossdog...... :laughing4: :biggrin: :imaposer:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Suikerland

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 02:23:05 am »
Jaaaa... so maybe I should come back to this fred and tell how it all worked out...

There was actually some pretty good advice here that got me thinking. Like this:

thumpers 1 piston=1 person
v strom    2 piston = 2 peron :thumleft:

The 1PPP thesis (1 pot per person) - deep down I know that's true. That kind of turned a corner in my brain and made me rethink what I really want a thumper for.

Like many said, with the chunky vstrom doing perfectly well for roaming back roads and highways with the wife, it didn't really make sense to get another bike to do the same thing. A thumper and a twin trying to achieve the same things. Pointless.

So, facing reality: the thumper is for me and me alone. That means I don't need much sophistication and fancy gadgets on it. Simple, reliable and occasionally crashable. The vstrom is capable but it feels big when I'm alone. (To me anyway). I need a lean simple basic thumper that I can get out and have fun with, I'm surrounded by hundreds of miles of lekker dirt roads and plantations that are begging to be explored. I've been doing a lot of solo exploring on the vstrom, it's nice but....... big.

so I don't need water pumps and ABS and fancy electronics and fuel injection blah blah. Why pay for that stuff when I don't need it. Just a basic skinny old-skool air cooled thumper will be fine, and if I can't do an hour or paved road on that then I should be in a wheelchair. I once did jhb - Cape Town on an XT for goodness sake, what's happened to me?

So the obvious solution was an XRL. I have a recent history was with XRR's, so I've grown to like Honda singles a lot and cutting out all that modern technology will get me a cheap simple bike right?

WRONG!!!

Turns out that XRL's starting price (even for older ones) seems to be around R40k and often 45k. That's nuts. (can anyone explain this btw? I know they're legend bikes and I love them but seriously).

So what's left - DR650 and XT600. (Not mentally ready for planet KLR yet, plus it has all this modern tech like water cooling  ;D).
DR - almost impossible to find, also really expensive for a basic bike.
XT600? Ping! One pops up 50 km from where I live. XT600E, clean, stock, near perfect condition. Deal done, for a lot less than I planned to spend. I called for a Jap thumper and it came to me.

So I didn't end up with the 660R which seemed perfect to me a week ago. I ended up with something more basic but even more perfect (for me). And it's almost like a coming home because I had two XT500's in the early 90,s - really loved those bikes and there really is a family feeling with the 600. Like finding a long lost relative. It even smells familiar in the garage ;D  ;D

So thanks for all the advice and apologies for not even looking at a KTM in spite of the well-meaning and cult-like assurance that the orange things will solve everything for me  :biggrin:
With a cheap vstrom and a cheap XT600 parked next to each other (both same blue, weird) pretty much every base is covered for me with (relatively) little spent - maybe about R65k total for the 2 bikes, and I suspect I won't lose much on resale on either. One day the vstrom will go a new home (when the wife is tired of the bike thing), but the XT is a keeper for ever.  Happy days I guess  :)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 06:03:25 am »
Aaaah nice! I think I saw that XT, beautiful bike in great condition, great price too.

Well done on getting your head and your garage sorted out. And may you ride many happy miles on both your bikes  :thumleft:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online DR BIG 750

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 07:23:14 pm »
@ Casting from Turd,

pray tell whats wrong with v strom......
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

The following users thanked this post: ultraflight

Offline Omninorm

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:00 pm »
@ Casting from Turd,

The only thing wrong with it is that people who don't know...don't know what an awesome bike it is.
Current: KTM 690 Enduro R : BMW G310GS :
Previous: BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Yamaha YZ250F, KTM 250 XCW, Yamah DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2018, 03:09:52 pm »
@ Casting from Turd,

Absolutely nothing. A mate of mine runs a fleet of them in his touring company.
However the oke wanted a Jap Thumper....

Wee strom doesnt tick any of those boxes.
It does tick other though
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 04:19:33 pm »
Also agree XRL prices are sky high, even saw a guy trying to sell a '93 model for 35k !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north