Best "Bang for buck" adventure bike from Sportbike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mole_ZA

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread, ever, so please go easy on me :eek:.

A good friend and I have both decided the dump our 2009/2010 CBR1000RR superbikes and make our way to the adventure bike world, we both have history on dirt bikes (both having recently owned KTM 300 EXC's) notice a trend?

The biggest problem is probably budget, because money can buy happiness or at least allow you to go trial by error with bikes. But coming from fairly powerful machines and the facts that they are toys for the weekend, we still want them to be powerful (power wheelie) enough to put a smile on our faces, we like the idea of cruising at about 160km/h happily.

In my attempt to answer my question I have ridden the following bikes:
-R1200GS (Good power- too bulky)
-R800GS (Good size- not enough gogo, also too buzzy on the open road)
-KLR 650 (not what I'm after)

Unfortunately my area is a pretty small market so not too many bikes to choose from.

I want to like the Triumph Tiger 800, "sport bike derived engine" a middle weight, but my problem is that on paper (because I cant find one to ride) they are too tame, I want the power of the 675 Daytona, in the Tiger. It absolutely baffles me how you can go backwards and be proud of yourself. Anyway I do understand how it needs have a 'linear power curve" and "usable torque" and all that jazz (and this may be the amateur in this type of riding showing itself) but what about when I want to be a hooligan? I want to open up on the power and make my starfish gasp! but still have a bike that I can still man handle on an open bit of gravel road.

When I buy this bike, I will have about 80-90k budget to get going and being a mechanic we don't mind getting slightly older bikes around 08/09 but preferably fuel injected.

Hopefully I covered all the points,
thanks in advance for your input.