Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 large fuel tank - Just Gas Tanks  (Read 481 times)

Offline Umko

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
DR650 large fuel tank - Just Gas Tanks
« on: December 29, 2017, 09:04:41 am »
I suggest caution in dealing with Just Gas Tanks. I ordered an Acerbis tank from them 3 months ago and it still hasn't arrived. Payment, however, was taken immediately I placed the order.
The Just Gas Tanks website gives the impression of a large retail facility with stock of everything they illustrate, and almost immediate dispatch of an order.
In practice, I suspect it is just a couple of boykies in suits in a New York office. If you order an Acerbis tank, they take your money and then place the order on Acerbis.
If Acerbis doesn't have stock - bad luck to you! Just Gas Tanks Just Keeps your Cash until Acerbis is able to supply.
If it doesn't suit you to wait a few months, it's very difficult to get your cash back. The Suits in NY suddenly go quiet.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR650 large fuel tank - Just Gas Tanks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:09:44 pm »
I remember that JustGasTanks did have a warning about exactly this issue on their website. The US - manufactured tanks will usually ship within a week to ten days if there is no stock. Ifthey are in stock they ship the next day. Different story with Acerbis. Since Acerbis fit like shite and are generally quite Italian and due to near endless delivery times I am extremely reluctant to still order them for customers.

Also: Do not ever order anything from Italy in August since the whole bloody country has moved down to the beach.

My general experience with JustGasTanks so far was good. I have ordered a number of tanks from them over the years.

For interest's sake: I assume you eventually did get your tank?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:49:44 pm by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Umko

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 06:11:05 am »
Hi Lecap. Yes, I eventually got the tank. I take your point about Acerbis quality. I’ve had two and each time I fill up it’s a battle to get the fuel cap back on without cross threading it. Which seems unnecessarily slack!
I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that the little yellow engineers at Suzuki, Honda et al “know best” and that one should be cautious about “improving “ their designs. For example the tank rubbers on my XT couldn’t handle the extra weight of the Acerbis, causing it to break the oil pipe out in the sticks; and my DR fuel consumption is worse now presumably because the big tank is less aerodynamic

Offline Piet

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 10:17:34 am »
I ordered my IMS tank (for KLR) from justgastanks and received great service. I wouldn't be surprised if your hold-up was with SAPO...

Fuel consumption worse due to aerodynamics? By how much? That's hard to believe on an old thumper like a DR650...

Offline 0012

• Secret Agent Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
have an IMS on my DR but it's an 18L iirc so a bit smaller than the Acerbis. I get around 20km/L, but as Piet said it sounds very weird that you had an increase in fuel consumption after tank change... maybe lugging the extra +-8kg of fuel around causing it?

->    Transalp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Piet

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:15:34 pm »
have an IMS on my DR but it's an 18L iirc so a bit smaller than the Acerbis. I get around 20km/L, but as Piet said it sounds very weird that you had an increase in fuel consumption after tank change... maybe lugging the extra +-8kg of fuel around causing it?
On my KLR, I don't notice a consumption increase even with a passenger. It all depends on the right wrist. Ride her hard and she gives 19km/l, ride her soft and she gives 22 km/l, regardless of luggage or passenger...

Offline 0012

• Secret Agent Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:21:05 pm »
On my KLR, I don't notice a consumption increase even with a passenger. It all depends on the right wrist. Ride her hard and she gives 19km/l, ride her soft and she gives 22 km/l, regardless of luggage or passenger...

:biggrin:   :thumleft:

Ja, all I can think is that possibly some setting on the carb was adjusted by mistake when removing/replacing tanks on the DR... either that or right hand.

->    Transalp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:26:45 pm »
Hi Lecap. Yes, I eventually got the tank. I take your point about Acerbis quality. I’ve had two and each time I fill up it’s a battle to get the fuel cap back on without cross threading it. Which seems unnecessarily slack!
I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that the little yellow engineers at Suzuki, Honda et al “know best” and that one should be cautious about “improving “ their designs. For example the tank rubbers on my XT couldn’t handle the extra weight of the Acerbis, causing it to break the oil pipe out in the sticks; and my DR fuel consumption is worse now presumably because the big tank is less aerodynamic
Regarding your fuel consumption.

Which fuel tap did you use?

If aftermarket, did you blank off the vacuum line properly?
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:44:57 am »
I suggest caution in dealing with Just Gas Tanks. I ordered an Acerbis tank from them 3 months ago and it still hasn't arrived. Payment, however, was taken immediately I placed the order.
The Just Gas Tanks website gives the impression of a large retail facility with stock of everything they illustrate, and almost immediate dispatch of an order.
In practice, I suspect it is just a couple of boykies in suits in a New York office. If you order an Acerbis tank, they take your money and then place the order on Acerbis.
If Acerbis doesn't have stock - bad luck to you! Just Gas Tanks Just Keeps your Cash until Acerbis is able to supply.
If it doesn't suit you to wait a few months, it's very difficult to get your cash back. The Suits in NY suddenly go quiet.

Must admit I had no issues when ordering my long range tank for my 1994 DR650. The only issue that I had was when it hit SA. It took forever to get to me.

Sorry that you have had a problem.
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline Umko

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 06:32:53 pm »
Thanks, you guys, for your input.
Good point, Chopperpilot, about the vacuum feed! I didn’t fit the tank myself but I had a manual tap on the OM tank so it was already blanked off at the carb.
The few comments about fuel consumption could get us into a long discussion that’s probably been gone through many times on this forum.
I spent 4 days, last week, doing 2000 km in the E Tvl. Two 700 km days getting there and back, and two 300 km days riding dirt roads and passes. No problem with fuel consumption on the slow days but I thought it worse than before on the “hanging on the cable” days.
It’s 50 years since I studied physics but I believe, for turbulent flow, that wind resistance is proportional to the square of the speed. Increase speed from 100 to 110 and wind resistance will increase by 21%. Which is why I think a less aerodynamic tank could meaningfully increase fuel consumption at higher speeds.
(Seconding my son in a canoe race, I carried a spare split shaft paddle with the shaft halves sticking up out of a backpack. At 80 km/h the wind resistance on the two 25mm shafts was no problem, but when I tried to speed up to 100 I felt in danger of being ripped off the bike.)