Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Touch the Desert - Namaqua - Namibia ....  (Read 10172 times)

Offline XRRX

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
Re: Touch the Desert - Namaqua - Namibia ....
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2018, 07:41:20 pm »
We were pointed to a "Backpackers" business on the other side of the main road. We investigated - just to find an old neglected establishment, with small wooden cabins in the middle of a squatters camp!!!  :o :xxbah:

There we got directions to Amica Guesthouse - back on the other side again ...  ::) We found an extremely neat establishment, and I went inside to enquire ...  :o :o :o R930 per person!!!  :'( :'(
Now Rosh Pinah is a pure mining town - and all developments are probably not only initiated by the mining industry, but also owned by them ....

I told the very friendly lady that sadly the price is completely out of our range - even more expensive than the first lodge!!! The only camping site has also closed down ...  :( ... and anything else was too far away in our situation ...
I guess she must have felt sorry for us, because she offered the accommodation to us at little more than half price!!! Thank you, thank you!!!  ;) :)

We spent a quiet evening in 4 star luxury, each of our rooms with a stunning view over the desert ...  8)

What a day!!!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:43:59 pm by XRRX »

Offline XRRX

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2018, 07:46:13 pm »
Dinner and drinks area ... and then off to bed ...

Offline Bokveld

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2018, 10:24:39 pm »
      Kom nou net terug daarvandaan ,maar ry weer saam,dankie!!

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2018, 04:52:33 am »
Always enjoy you guys RR, this one is no different.  Thanks for sharing.   :thumleft: :thumleft:

Just a tip for Skolla, depending on your fitness level.  I always say I will get fit for the next long trip but that neva happens.  This then result in me being stuffed on day 4/5/6 depending on road and weather conditions.  I now therefor normally take a proper REST DAY on day 5 to reload for the trip ahead.  And so I repeat the rest days every 5 or so days.  The constant heat and immense concentration on bad roads will take its toll on your  body and mind if your fitness levels are not up to scratch.  When I look at the phodies in this RR it is clear that Skolla is mentally drained.  He is a much better rider than what he makes out to be.  He should have made this trip with ease.  I think he should have had a rest day somewhere along the road. 
Your tyre choice and the setup on your bike, such as worn shocks can also have a huge inpack on the overall handling of the bike.

But hats of to all of you, I know that area well and there is no way in hell that I will attempt it during December/January.  The heat is not my friend, I therefor prefer going there April/May.  I have a friend that can only get leave during Dec and he nags me continuously to do a Nam trip during Dec, needles to say, it will never happen.   :eek7:   .       . 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

The following users thanked this post: XRRX

Offline Skolla

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2018, 08:10:25 am »
Hi Vis Arend,ek raak dalk nou bietjie oud vir die trips,op 61 is dit dalk tyd om helmet op te hang,ek kan nie met die jong bulle kompeteer nie  :lol8:Moet se ek was meer mentally drained as fisies,het darem bietjie geoefen(loop) voor die tyd,nou nie spesifiek vir die trip nie maar vir gewone fiksheid. :thumleft:

Offline XRRX

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:04 am »
Day 5 - 31 Dec 2017:

We left Rosh Pinah without much fuss - after a great night's rest in luxury!!   :biggrin: The 160km odd tar was ahead to Aus. We stopped quite often for pictures, and once for coffee and road-side breakfast!!  :P The ever changing scenery in the Namib must be the "thing" that makes tours to Namibia so addictive!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: It's as if you just can't get enough, and it's actually difficult to try and absorb everything ...

Offline XRRX

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2018, 08:28:05 am »
Coffee - compliments of Dawie's "flying-sourcer"  ::) + TUC and Tuna and Vienna's in brine ...  ::)
... and then much later - Aus .

Offline XRRX

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2018, 08:34:20 am »
To me - Aus was a huge surprise!! Must be the best "mini-town" in the desert!!!
a Garage and shop with everything (even tyres), and the great Bahnhof Hotel with the coldest Hansa draughts I've tasted!!!  :3some:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:36:16 am by XRRX »

Offline XRRX

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2018, 09:01:20 am »
When we left Aus, it was with a feeling of excitement!! It would be the first time that either of us will see Luderitz Bay, and one of the planning objectives of this tour was to spend old/new year in Luderitz ...

a Few km's from Aus - you suddenly enter the REAL DESERT !!!  :eek7: :eek7: AMAZING ... STUNNING ... O0 :thumleft:

Every half an hour or so of riding you will see the sad remains from some unknown people's life, a pity these ghost houses couldn't tell the real story ...  :( :(

The Bahnhof Hotel's Hansa draught led to a few unscheduled stops  ::) ::), as it was also getting cooler and cooler towards Luderitz ...  :patch:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:03:12 am by XRRX »

Offline XRRX

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2018, 09:05:41 am »
Long live the desert ...

Offline XRRX

« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2018, 09:11:50 am »
I fooled around a bit with the "Junior Block of Flats" - just to really feel part of the surroundings ...  :patch:
a Pity my compatriots didn't take any action pictures of my roosts !!!   ::)??? :biggrin:

Offline Bokveld

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2018, 11:13:19 am »
Hi Vis Arend,ek raak dalk nou bietjie oud vir die trips,op 61 is dit dalk tyd om helmet op te hang,ek kan nie met die jong bulle kompeteer nie  :lol8:Moet se ek was meer mentally drained as fisies,het darem bietjie geoefen(loop) voor die tyd,nou nie spesifiek vir die trip nie maar vir gewone fiksheid. :thumleft:
Skolla ,I think if you crossed over at Oranjemund and took the tar north of the river to Rosh Pinah,it would be a different story.The road on the other side can break anybody's spirit (and bike).

The following users thanked this post: XRRX

Offline XRRX

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2018, 11:17:10 am »
And then - at last - the West Coast of Africa desert town of Luderitz ...
The Nazi's has been here!!!  :o

But they've left behind a legacy of great architecture !!

Offline Skolla

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2018, 11:22:15 am »
Hi Bokveld,I went that way out,the problem of some of these roads,the first part is not that bad and the time that you hit the shit it is to far away to turn around,then its vasbyt😅

Offline XRRX

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
We rode around senselessly for a while - looking for a nice Pub and accommodation - but Luderitz seemed to be closed down at this time of the year ...  :(
We ended at some fancy Hotel for one beer!!! ... they made sure we didn't feel welcome for a second one ...  :xxbah:

Offline XRRX

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2018, 11:29:47 am »
Dawie tentatively booked a place with a certain lady the morning - by phone ... So after the one beer (priced as if it was 3 p/p), we went to look for this particular lady at the "Diaz Coffee Shop". The "place" was ok - just a bit smelly  ::) ??? , but the Diaz Coffee Shop had nice food and drinks ...  :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2018, 11:33:10 am »
 take a proper REST DAY on day 5

En n properse airflow baadjie sou ook die węreld se verskil gemaak het. Jy kook jouself van binneaf moertoe.
Na elke stop is jy eintlik warmer as voor jy gestop het.
Beter boots om langer te staan sal ook help. As jy staan het jy beter lugvloei. Kooperasie boots is nie die ideale bike boots, hoor jy Bokveld. :deal: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline XRRX

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:28 am »
Unfortunately the Diaz Coffee Shop closed at 6pm, that meant that we finished our lovely fish & calamari too early for an old year's evening.
We did manage to buy a bottle of Sparkling Wine though - ya know - for the new year's toast later on ...  :biggrin

But much later - our Kalahari companion - came to our rescue with a delicately prepared dish of "2 minute noodles and mussels + Durban curry" !!!  :eek7: ::)

More or less at the same time - this very RR was born on that outside deck - bit too smelly to sit inside ...  :P

Offline XRRX

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2018, 11:45:29 am »
take a proper REST DAY on day 5

En n properse airflow baadjie sou ook die węreld se verskil gemaak het. Jy kook jouself van binneaf moertoe.
Na elke stop is jy eintlik warmer as voor jy gestop het.
Beter boots om langer te staan sal ook help. As jy staan het jy beter lugvloei. Kooperasie boots is nie die ideale bike boots, hoor jy Bokveld. :deal: ;)

:imaposer: :thumleft:

Offline XRRX

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2018, 11:50:43 am »
Well, we had a quiet old year's evening, but actually great!!
We enjoyed a "never to be repeated  ::) ???" biker's meal, drank expensive "cheap" bubbly wine and collectively started this RR with the initial title: "Shake, Rattle & Roll" ...  :lol8: