DL1000 - Finally sorted after 3 years of Stumbling at 3500 Rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeltonsc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
Howzit Guys,

I bought my DL1000 with 74000 miles on here a few years ago and have put plenty km's on her she is now on 150 000 miles that is around 250 000 km

since I bought her I have done the following  in Maintenance

Chains, Sprockets, Clutch basket modification, and tyres and lots of brake pads oh and have had the Stator redone twice now.

I have not done Valve clearances at all she always starts first turn - Although I can hear its now time to do the timing chains so I'll do the clearances when I open her up.

but every since getting her she has always stumbled at around 3500 - 4000 Rpm

Just after buying her she had what felt like fuel issues to me so  installed an inline fuel filter and bypassed the one in the tank (that was in 2014)

Now in from about October I could really feel she was down on power and would backfire and die at robots etc, she would not rev more than 7000RPM etc and the problem would be worse in traffic when the 3rd temp bar lit up.

I tried the TPS adjustment, new spark plugs, throttle body sync, but when doing a Fuel flow test the bike would be in spec. I had  her a a dealership for a day and they said it can only be 1 of 2 things TPS sensor or ECU now these are not cheap. they wanted to replace both items as they tried another TPS and it was only slightly better. so I declined thinking it's really out of my budget and I'll plod along with her till I get some to tinker around.

but the last month or so I realized she would run slightly better when the fuel tank was full.

Last week my Misses car had a failed fuel pump at so I went out and bought a Bosch Universal 3 bar fuel pump for her car and while checking out  the pump I though maybe I should see if this universal pump would fit the bike as I've always thought its the fuel pump.

but I wasn't going to pay the dealers price for a pump. Bosch pump is between R600 and R700 depending on where you get one from.

Part number - BSH-0580453UNIV

Turns out its quite an easy swop I had to cut the Fuel pressure regulators outlet down to make it fit so that it wouldn't chafe the wires for the fuel pump.but that's about it.

Started the bike up and it has never ran as good since I have had her.

Absolutely no stumbling at 3500Rpm I can now cruise along in 6th gear at 110km/h she is now as smooth as silk.

Oh I did go back and get another pump for the Misses's car  :deal: