Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Witteberg poorts  (Read 341 times)

Offline ChrisD200

Witteberg poorts
« on: January 05, 2018, 10:41:27 am »
Hi guys.  In the near future a group of us plan to ride the gravel roads east of Touws River.  Amongst others, there are some that lead off from the N1, going south, through the Witwaterskloof, Elandskloof and Bokwaterkloof poorts, on the road that passes the entrance to the Witteberg game reserve. 
The last two (Elands and Bokwater) are not included in the forum list.  Is that because they are on a private road, or not interesting or what?  Can any Wilddog advise on the condition of these roads - are they graded, sandy, thorny, awful?  I am a near noob so can easily handle moderately graded gravel but not off-road bundu-bashing and I only have 20% offroad tyres anyway. 
Cheers, ChrisD
If I can attach the map here, please find it here.

Offline Rotax650

Re: Witteberg poorts
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:02 pm »
Road via Witteberg Game Reserve south deproclaimed and locked-up some years ago.  Did the route from Witteberg main road via the reserve to Anysberg 7 year ago, just as they were closing is - awesome scenery, route was very rough in places.  Witteberg main road still a must do - very scenic!

Offline ChrisD200

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 01:03:23 pm »
Thanks for that, Rotax650 - I hadnít made the connection. 
So as I now see, the road that goes through the Witteberg Reserve is closed.  But the road out of the south end of the reserve, where it turns west and runs through the BokwaterKloof poort, should still be open?  Any thoughts on that?
Cheers, ChrisD

Offline Rotax650

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 01:28:50 pm »
Witteberg NR gates locked at both ends. Not sure about gates further south and to the west. All private road now, so no through way any case.
There is a nice east-west public road via Anysberg NR, not indicated on your map.

Sent from my SM-G532F using Tapatalk