Help with possible head gasket problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunnes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Dagse honne

I have a big problem with my 2007 650 Dakar. It seems as though my head gasket (or something more profound) went, but let me explain:

I had some white sludge under my oil cap in Nov and Dec last year, but that went away every time after a ride between Joburg and Pta. In December, the water temperature light came on, I opened the radiator up and saw it was very low on coolant. I topped up, thinking that the hole in the radiator I got from a stone chip in September started again.

Yesterday, the oil and the water temp light came on. I stopped, filled up the radiator with 400ml of coolant and slowly rode the last 5km home. After inspection, I found the following: The oil is a light brown colour, which indicates coolant in the oil. I checked that weep hole of the water pump and there is nothing coming out there. I replaced the waterpump seals and shaft 2000km ago. I checked that the weep hole is clear and that the seal isn't covering the weep hole on the inside. The small allen key I used to check the hole had some grease on the end, which I greased the water pump shaft with. I then filled up the radiator and bled it properly and saw that the coolant is draining somewhere. I would fill up the radiator and 10 minutes later, the water level would be passed the fins so that I cannot see the water level anymore.

This seems strange to me. Is it possible that a buggered head gasket can leak water that quickly into the oil with only gravity applying pressure? Is there another place where the water can leak into the oil? Maybe the gasket at the base of the cylinder?

Thank you for the help.