Cederberg Solo ride - Long overdue report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
So last winter over the long weekend of 16-18 June I decided impulsively to hop on the bike and spend 3 days riding around the Cederberg. I finally got around to editing the video over the holiday.

Day 1: I got up late undecided what to do with my long weekend. After some idling around I decided fuckit, I'm going riding. I ended up leaving Stellenbosch around 15h00 in the afternoon and decided I'm riding into the Cederberg, but no idea where to. Heading over Bainskloof I remembered everyone raving about Oasis. A quick google while filling up in Ceres decided it for me. By this time is was getting late as I had been idling about in no real rush and it was going to get dark soon. With the half a candle for a headlight on the BRP I had to pick up the pace a bit and I pulled into Oasis for the first time at last light.  What a lekker place to stay over. A few km back I'd run into some bikers from Somerset West (their names elude me now) and as it turned out they were staying right next door in the campsite. I got invited to join their braai making for a merry evening.

Day 2: I got up lazy and while having breakfast I notice non other than our own Rommel, who is the previous owner of my bike. He had heard the engine, immediately recognised it and come over to take a look. After a lekker chat I realised I had better get riding or I would not make it further than the bar that day. Hopping on the bike late morning saw me ride towards Eselsbank and Wupperthal. What a lovely route to ride. It is rough enough to slow you down so you can look around and enjoy the view while being a pleasantly easy ride, especially seeing as the XR eats up that kind of riding. Between Eselsbank and Wupperthal I came across a refreshing sight, a couple on two bikes the guy riding a XR600R and his girlfriend on a DR250. I could see she was new to riding but considering her choice in bike she was making a good job of it. Earlier in the day while I was still lounging about the campsite I had a brief chat to two guys who were just leaving intending to do Eselsbank as well. Later as I went past Travelers rest I decided to stop for a quick beer running into those same two bikes which had also just stopped. What an interesting few beers that turned out to be with the two characters namely Piet Vis and Jan Vrystaat as they introduced themselves. Both had retired on the west coast in Strandfontein with Piet being a west coast local and Jan as you can guess originating from upcountry. After a lekker chat it was back on the bikes, the two gentlemen heading home to the coast and me deciding to make a quick detour towards Graafwater to find some sandy tracks. Returning via Clanwilliam to refuel I found myself back at Oasis before 15h00 for a nice afternoon of relaxing. That evening a lekker buffet was being served which trumped my plan of noodles and tuna.

Day 3: After a great breakfast of bacon and eggs (the luxuries plied on me the previous evening by the kitchen had put me off my own cooking) I had the bike packed and hightailed it out of there for a quick run home along the Olifantsrivier, a lamb pie and coffee for lunch at kardoesie followed by a jaunt through the swartland via misverstand dam and Riebeeck Kasteel. Of course to add some flavour to the day as I pulled into Riebeek Kasteel I noticed something leaking from the rear of the bike. First though was fuck I'm leaking oil, however upon investigating it turns out a can of coke in the top of my luggage had chafed through soaking everything. Getting home early gave me plenty of time to clean and wash the coke out of everything  :dousing:

All in all it was a great ride. My first proper solo trip and I found it to be one of the most relaxing rides I've ever done. It was the ultimate freedom and suddenly ride reports like those of Xpat made sense. On your own you are free to do as you please, change plans on a whim and just ride sorting out the details as you go. This was but a minor foray into this realm but it is the start of some bigger plans for sure.

Here is a short video I put together, my first proper attempt at video editing so not the greatest, enjoy  :ricky:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/5MbZ6ax-Zwg[/youtube]