To Mariepskop via Graskop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Having an occasional break without the kids does wonders, and so wifey and I planned a little trip to Graskop. She's been getting a liking to offroad riding, so while we have made many road trips to Durban, Sabie, etc. on our bikes, the offroad ones she pillions on the GSA.

So we packed a few essentials and hit the gravel. A week later than we wanted because, as usual, life happens at the most inopportune of times. Luckily the people at Summit Lodge were quite willing to move the booking up with a week.

Day 1
Riding gravel mostly from Rayton we encountered a few sandy patches. Now if there was one thing that was going to put wifey off offroad riding it would be a fall, and while Liam Neeson possesses a particular set of skills, I posses none. Well, none related to sand riding, that is. I don't know why the sand is such a big thing in my mind, I've done a few offroad courses and can hold my own in rocky terrain. But sand... eish. Anyway, luckily we slipped and slided only briefly and then got to some nice gravel.

At some point we passed a game reserve or something, there was a long high fence to our right were we spotted some game, and even warthogs (huge ones!) crossing the road in front of us to get back into the reserve through a hole in the fence.

We were quite far beyond Bronkhorstspruit already when we realised that we had not had anything to eat yet, so decided we'll breakfast at Dullstroom. We had water, so all was good.

It was hot, the temperature showing 32 degrees and I felt like a quick dip off a low level bridge we had crossed. I had to settle for a photo only, time was not on our side.

The road became (nice and) rockey heading into Dullstroom, with large ruts running across the road and I started loosening up and enjoying the power of the GSA when you let it loose in enduro pro mode. Heading into Dullstroom we stopped at the Poacher for an awesome meal, around 12h30ish. Honestly at that stage I was so hungry that even some cardboard with rubber on would've tasted good!  :lol8:

From Dullstroom we decided to forgo the remainder of the gravel, I did not want to overdo things and create a dislike for gravel with wifey. It was already afternoon too, and we were just about half way to Graskop. So we hit the tar up through Lydensburg and got to Pelgrim's rest via Robber's pass. Took another lekker break there, enjoying a lie down on the lawn. I felt like a pilgrim, after all, and deeded a rest  ;D

Thereafter Graskop, a cold refreshing one at the pub and hit the sack, sleeping like a log.

Attachments

• Mariepskop - 9.jpg
    Mariepskop - 9.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Mariepskop - 11.jpg
    Mariepskop - 11.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Mariepskop - 16.jpg
    Mariepskop - 16.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Mariepskop - 23.jpg
    Mariepskop - 23.jpg