Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First time trip please help  (Read 733 times)

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Ride More, drink more BEER and stress less.
First time trip please help
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:08:43 am »
Hi there dogs.

I know a lot of dogs have been around the world some as far as Antarctica and some to the north pole.

I have never been out of SA. This year I want to take my family to either Mozambique or Namibia. We will drive there and make a trip of it. From 31st of march to 9 of April

We were told by a lot of people to go to Ponto de Oro but accommodation is a problem because all the places are booked for the first week in April when we want to go OR is very expensive  and the other thing is that I don't have a 4x4 and you need a 4x4 to get from KOSI Bay to PONTO. I do have a Ranger 3.2 with diff lock but I don't want to get stuck.

I was looking at Walvis bay and already have a lot of accommodation options but the distance means that we will have to sleep over at some place, with kids in the car it is not advisable to drive 18- 20 hours. without sleeping over.

Questions to the DOGS.
1. Does anybody have accommodation in Ponto that is not going to cost me R12k for the period.
2. Do I need a 4x4 or will the ranger with deflated tires make it across the sand? Or will a KUGA with AWD and low profiles work? if I need a 4x4 then I will not go to PONTO
3. Does the dogs know of a very nice cheap place that we can stay over maybe in KANG or must we rather drive the long way and enter Namib from the bottom

My plan was to just rough it but the wife and kids told me no way, they do not want to stay in tents or camp. I also have a budget that I must control very tightly because these things can escalate and cost you a kidney at the end.

Please tell me what you will do and why

I LOVE RIDING

Offline Duke916

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: First time trip please help
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:08:43 am »
I used to go to Ponta with a diff lock bakkie and tyres slightly deflated, but that was many years ago. I think the road will be in a better condition nowadays. You can try the dive charter companies operating there for accommodation. Malongane is right next door so you can try there as well
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Can you say: Today is a good day to die?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 10:16:55 am »
Do yourself a huge favour - Forget about Moz and do this trip in Nam - You can thank me later..........    http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=219057.0
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline dirt rat

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:51:33 am »
Maybe you think too much- get in the car and go- sort the shit out later.

Offline cheesy

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:37:35 pm »
Don't even think of Moz. Go Namibia, the problem is that you will always go back, beautiful country, wonderful people and the fuel is cheaper.
Bum in the saddle, always.