First time trip please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Krokkedil

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F700GS
Hi there dogs.

I know a lot of dogs have been around the world some as far as Antarctica and some to the north pole.

I have never been out of SA. This year I want to take my family to either Mozambique or Namibia. We will drive there and make a trip of it. From 31st of march to 9 of April

We were told by a lot of people to go to Ponto de Oro but accommodation is a problem because all the places are booked for the first week in April when we want to go OR is very expensive  and the other thing is that I don't have a 4x4 and you need a 4x4 to get from KOSI Bay to PONTO. I do have a Ranger 3.2 with diff lock but I don't want to get stuck.

I was looking at Walvis bay and already have a lot of accommodation options but the distance means that we will have to sleep over at some place, with kids in the car it is not advisable to drive 18- 20 hours. without sleeping over.

Questions to the DOGS.
1. Does anybody have accommodation in Ponto that is not going to cost me R12k for the period.
2. Do I need a 4x4 or will the ranger with deflated tires make it across the sand? Or will a KUGA with AWD and low profiles work? if I need a 4x4 then I will not go to PONTO
3. Does the dogs know of a very nice cheap place that we can stay over maybe in KANG or must we rather drive the long way and enter Namib from the bottom

My plan was to just rough it but the wife and kids told me no way, they do not want to stay in tents or camp. I also have a budget that I must control very tightly because these things can escalate and cost you a kidney at the end.

Please tell me what you will do and why