Help required with a sick 520 EXC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-twin

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi Honne!

I bought a fairly decent 2001 KTM 520 EXC in Octoberish 2016. I still havent done 10km with it since I bought it as it is sick and I dont have the time or lus to try and find the issue. Heres a bit of background on the symptoms. When I got it it has been standing for a while and did not want to start. I initially thought it was gunk in the carb so I stripped the carb and properly cleaned it out.. dumb nut me found the issue was a dead spark plug afterwards. With the new spark plug it didnt want to start at first but with the choke out it did on the first slight kick. So I thought I will let the motor warm up and then push the choke back. When I pushed the choke back (while riding) it started backfiring like hell and died when I pulled the clutch. I can keep the engine running with the throttle when the choke is in but it will not idle at all. I did some research on the net spoke to a few guys and this is what I have done, which untill now, hasnt solved the problem. I have stripped the entire carb, boiled all the jets in lemon juice, blowed it out with compressed air and carb cleaner. There is not a single spec of dirt in the carb or any of the jets anymore. I have then adjusted the carb back to original settings and saw it still has original jets. Then the last thing I did was to adjust the valve clearances to 0.10mm on intake and 0.15mm on exhaust valve (as per manual I found on the net). With all this it still wouldnt idle. Can anyone give me some advise on what it could be otherwise I might just set the bugger on fire.

regards

V-twin