Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500  (Read 79726 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2018, 01:35:19 pm »
Thanks guys. some solid answers.
It would seem to be much better suited for an adventure than an Adventure bike is! Good news then.

No upgrades necessary like the ones the 690 needs?
Airbox is fine? Bolts on tank snapping or rusting off or whatever that issue is? Petrol pump good no need to carry a spare?

Found some nice info here:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2017-ktm-500-exc-f-vs-2017-husqvarna-fe-501.1213701/
and from that, are the service intervals the same on the two (although from our discussion the service interval does not seem to matter much)

Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Xpat

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2018, 02:04:52 pm »
No issues out of the box I'm aware of. I ride it standard (including standard exhaust - which is also a must replacement on 690 otherwise it will melt luggage - as I want it as quiet as possible) and do not carry spare fuel pump or injector (I do for 690).

All I did is add those accessories I've mentioned and got suspension set-up for my weight and bike lowered in the pocess - I got different springs for my weight and suspension revalved.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:06:04 pm by Xpat »

Offline Xpat

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2018, 01:09:45 pm »
Just to drive point home about longevity of the modern 450/500 engines and to show that you don't need much to adventurize it. This is Czech chick Gabriela Novotna riding Dakar as we speak (and doing bloody good job for a newbie), riding on Husky 450:

Apart from the obligatory roadbook, antenas and stuff upfront, iritrack sitting at the back behind the seat and bashplate with required spare water, the bike looks basically stock, just with bigger Acerbis tank. Now I'm sure they service it after each stage, but those stages are something different than our dual sporting, and in the marathon stage - when there was no support for one night - they rode almost 1000 km of special over two days, and probably upwards of 500 km of liaisons. So to me this confirms that these bikes clearly can do it and do not require that much modification.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:10:32 pm by Xpat »

The following users thanked this post: andrew5336

Offline Rossdog

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2018, 01:22:47 pm »
Interesting that she is on what looks like a '15/'16 model, not the latest model. Maybe something to do with the lack of aftermarket long range tanks for the '17 and up models?
'69 Model.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2018, 01:25:09 pm »
Interesting that she is on what looks like a '15/'16 model, not the latest model. Maybe something to do with the lack of aftermarket long range tanks for the '17 and up models?

I don't recognize the model, but I think you are right about the tank.

I think it is just plain dumb that they don't make the 20 litre tank for 2017 onwards - and you will have to take it into account Damaraland if you need, range, which I suspect you do.

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2018, 01:37:28 pm »
I've narrowed down my luggage options to the following:
- Altrider holster with two 25L Drybags
- Giant Loop Cayenne

I'm leaning towards the Altrider currently due to 12L more cacacity, also it's cheaper than the GL.  Another benefit is that it also has space for a 2L bottle on each holster.  I will compliment it with a fender bag but that's about it.

Anyone used one or both and have an opinion on it?

The Mosko Moto as used by Xpat looks pretty sweet but a bit too expensive for me, also do not want to battle with importing.
RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline Xpat

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2018, 01:51:39 pm »
Well as I said I have preference for holster backbone system like Altrider because it is more flexible in terms of getting in and out, being able to overpack a bit and allowing to push the bag siting on top of seat back giving me more space. I have Altrider (I bought it when I thought the Mosko Moto has been irretrievably lost somewhere before delivery), but didn't use it as MM eventualy arived and so far that is what I was using.

But many people use Cayene - Straatkat uses one, as well as MTP used one in that Kaokoland trip. So they clearly work as well - maybe check with those guys what they think.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:01 pm »
- Giant Loop Cayenne

I'm leaning towards the Altrider currently due to 12L more cacacity, also it's cheaper than the GL.  Another benefit is that it also has space for a 2L bottle on each holster.  I will compliment it with a fender bag but that's about it.

The Mosko Moto as used by Xpat looks pretty sweet but a bit too expensive for me, also do not want to battle with importing.

Damara, we demand some pictures! :biggrin:

Offline Fransw

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2018, 02:01:37 pm »
Just to drive point home about longevity of the modern 450/500 engines and to show that you don't need much to adventurize it. This is Czech chick Gabriela Novotna riding Dakar as we speak (and doing bloody good job for a newbie), riding on Husky 450:

Apart from the obligatory roadbook, antenas and stuff upfront, iritrack sitting at the back behind the seat and bashplate with required spare water, the bike looks basically stock, just with bigger Acerbis tank. Now I'm sure they service it after each stage, but those stages are something different than our dual sporting, and in the marathon stage - when there was no support for one night - they rode almost 1000 km of special over two days, and probably upwards of 500 km of liaisons. So to me this confirms that these bikes clearly can do it and do not require that much modification.

Xpat, are you from Czech? Isn't that where they train the Taliban troops?! :patch:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2018, 02:10:53 pm »

Xpat, are you from Czech? Isn't that where they train the Taliban troops?! :patch:

Exactly, I personnaly groomed few of them.   8)

Where the f@CK you come up with this shit? I have already seen South Africans asking me if Germany was in South America, been called Russian, but this one I haven't heard before.

I suspect that you are talking about Chechnya, but still would like confirmation. I would say that Czech republic is result of split of Czechoslovakia, but then people would start commiserate me for the war in Yugoslavia, so I'm rather not going to. Let me say it this way - Czech republic is where your CZ guns comes from (and for older generation where Jawa used to come from and win MotoGP before communism put stop to that malarky). And it is stuck right between Germany and Austria.

Offline bud500

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »

Where the f@CK you come up with this shit? I have already seen South Africans asking me if Germany was in South America, been called Russian, but this one I haven't heard before.

I suspect that you are talking about Chechnya, but still would like confirmation. I would say that Czech republic is result of split of Czechoslovakia, but then people would start commiserate me for the war in Yugoslavia, so I'm rather not going to. Let me say it this way - Czech republic is where your CZ guns comes from (and for older generation where Jawa used to come from and win MotoGP before communism put stop to that malarky). And it is stuck right between Germany and Austria.

And it is an often overlooked tourist destination for us Saffers, both in affordability as well as BEER... :thumleft:
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Xpat

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2018, 02:35:45 pm »
We are completely offtopic, so just last chirp: Yes, Czech's have the highest beer consumption per capita in the world. And you've heard about Pilsener type of beers? Well Pilsen is city in Czech republic.

And I was very surprised to read somewhere that one of the top destination (outside of the obvious ones like Australia and UK) for SA emigration. Not sure if it is true and cannot find the article now, and did find it surprising because the language is pretty difficult. On the other hand it makes a bit sense as Czech repulic is rated as one of the top 5 or 6 most peaceful countries in the world - very low crime and political unrest, democracy, one of the best health care systems in the world, great public schools and universities, tons of culture (there are probably more concerts of international artists in Prague in a week than in a year in whole of RSA), has very long industrial history (Czech Airlines are one of the oldest still operating airlines in the world, Tatra and Skoda one of the oldest still running car manufacturers in the world, you know probably about CZ, L410 and Albatros/Delphin/Zlin airplanes, Mitas tyres etc. Oh yes, and Bata, who used to be Henry Ford of shoe industry (now sadly just a shell of the former glory) is of course from Czech republic and build his empire there.

I find it actualy so settled and boring that I decided to rather relocate ro RSA as I find it much more exciting here - for the right and wrong reasons.

Ok, that is the end of my little Czech advert, apologies for that - it has been provoked
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:36:37 pm by Xpat »

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Ebredenhann

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Ry die ding...
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2018, 02:52:35 pm »
So it seems that the biggest aftermarket fuel tank available currently for this conversion (2018 model) is the 11.5L tank, that correct?  Some guys also mentioned earlier that the 17/18 models do not have long range tanks available.

What now, that defeats the whole object for me, what are the options now?  Or did I miss the answer somewhere?
If you wanna run with the big dogs, don't pee like a puppy!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2018, 02:57:01 pm »

I've used both, (the Giant Loop and the ALTRider system, but am also a Vendor! bearing that in mind, here goes!:

On my own 450, the GL Coyote was a pretty good fit, even though i have a rear Safari tank 'in the way'. I actually loved the bag, but was not a fan of the zip - it never ever gave me a days problem opening/closing (it was YKK zip - industy best), b-u-t if you put say plakkies in, then the zip battled to close over a heard-edged object. Minor issue, that.

So I then imported the ALTRider product, both for myself and others. I like it, again - on MY bike, the rear tank is slightly in the way, so I am not using the 2 clever - provided - attachment hooks that I should be using - rear Safari tank does not allow for it! But is works well.

Some riders who ride a lot suggested I consider using the ALTRider holster system with generic DRY BAGS, to keep weight even lower down, since the ALTRider inner obviously is one continuous bag that spans the seat in addition to reaching down. Conclusion: the dry bags will be my future go-to option.

NOTE! since i first bought and used both systems, Giant Loop now CHANGED both the Coyote and it s big brother: the Great Basin, to ROLL-TOP closures, removing one minor area I felt was tricky when zipping up the bag!

My choice now? Probably ALTRider in 1st place, but with DRY BAGS
then CLOSE behind, the GL Coyote.

YMMV!
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Fransw

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2018, 02:59:11 pm »

:lol8: :lol8: Martin, only pulling your leg! I'm well travelled and understand that!

I shot a couple of thousand rounds with the CZ75, very reliable workhorse pistol. Although I find the Glock more refined..

Back to the topic.. Where are the pics Damara?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2018, 02:59:43 pm »
So it seems that the biggest aftermarket fuel tank available currently for this conversion (2018 model) is the 11.5L tank, that correct?  Some guys also mentioned earlier that the 17/18 models do not have long range tanks available.

What now, that defeats the whole object for me, what are the options now?  Or did I miss the answer somewhere?

Runner said earlier that he sell 15.5 litre tank for 2017/18. Not sure if that is good enough for you - will give you probably 300 -350 km per tank if ridden normaly.

But yes, it is a shame that there is not 20 litre tank as IMO they sold like hot cakes. They used to make 24litre tank for 525, then went to 20 litre for 500. Hopefully somebody (Acerbis or Safari Tanks) will realize wrongness of their ways and start making one - at the end of the day Adam Rieman is doing hell of a job promoting this bike for proper DS use.

Your option now is either to get 15.5 litre tank, or try to get second hand 2016 or earlier model and get 20 litre tank for that. There was an advert for Husky 501 in the Trade section with 20 hours on clock and big tank (not sure what size), so maybe check if it would work for you.

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2018, 03:04:42 pm »

Runner said earlier that he sell 15.5 litre tank for 2017/18. Not sure if that is good enough for you - will give you probably 300 -350 km per tank if ridden normaly.

But yes, it is a shame that there is not 20 litre tank as IMO they sold like hot cakes. They used to make 24litre tank for 525, then went to 20 litre for 500. Hopefully somebody (Acerbis or Safari Tanks) will realize wrongness of their ways and start making one - at the end of the day Adam Rieman is doing hell of a job promoting this bike for proper DS use.

Your option now is either to get 15.5 litre tank, or try to get second hand 2016 or earlier model and get 20 litre tank for that. There was an advert for Husky 501 in the Trade section with 20 hours on clock and big tank (not sure what size), so maybe check if it would work for you.

Runner sells the 15L Acerbis tank above, advantage with this tank is you need no extra attachments or KTM parts (confirmed this with Runner).  Disadvantage according to a couple of inmates on ADVrider is that, because the screws go straight into the plastic, a couple of guys have experienced leaks.

The other option I found was IMS, which makes a 17L tank.  Quality is very good (once again, according to advrider) but you do have to order additional parts from KTM.  Website is here: https://www.imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?ManufacturerSet=KTM&maD=true&ModelSet=500%20EXC-F&modD=true&yeD=true&siD=true&TypeSet=Fuel%20Tank&SeriesSet=&sed=true&tyd=true&YearsSet=2017-2018&SizeSet=4.5%20gal

I did mail Safari, but at best they are only planning to bring one out third quarter of this year.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:05:44 pm by Damaraland »
RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:49 pm »
- Giant Loop Cayenne

Damara, we demand some pictures! :biggrin:

Will definitely do a build thread when everything arrives!  In the meantime I'm enjoying the wealth of information shared on this thread. :thumleft:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:58 pm »
@Zebra- Flying Brick: Chris, did I just see you complain about zipper on soft luggage?  :peepwall: ;)

Just pulling your leg.