Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500  (Read 77809 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500
« Reply #2100 on: June 21, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »
:laughing4:

A highway indeed, and just once again shows how what is Everest for one could be Table mountain for the next.

@DasAlphaTier and buddies on 500......they are amazing bikes indeed, but not the best for longer unsupported trips, in fact they suck at these.

Go read the RR "Tale of 3 cavhaleiros" then track our trail with your bikes, unsupported.

Go and ride the Longa to Baix Longa sandtrail, the Kamaz path, and come post your RR.

"Japcrap".....XT600E, XR650R and a DR650, all loaded with all amenities and fuel for at least 650kms, not a single hiccup, not a faltering, in fact, no thoughts were spared on this trip for the possibility of a

breakdown.

I am getting a bit tired of playbikes trying to mix it in with real ones. :pot:

I dont know why you think the 500 sucks at longer unsupported trips? We have a fuel capacity of 760km. can cruise 120 if we like and when it really gets enduro stile nasty the bikes come to live.
Would love to read the ride report. maybe you can post a link?
Like Damaraland said, maybe go start a post for "real" bikes? Then we can continue having fun and adventuring our plastic bikes.
And trust me, the only terrain that scares me is boring tar and endless gravel roads.

If the 500 did not suck at longer unsupported trips, there'd be many doing just that.

Even you fans of 500 trailer to your destinations.  It's not only about cruising speed and fuel range, but also about stability and comfort.

Surprising amount of fatique can be generated by a bike that's twitchy at speed, and revs that bit higher.

When you hit enduro stuff.......I cannot argue there, I'm a small bike guy myself.

Unfortunately, boring tar and endless gravel roads are as much part of D/S as knobbly tires is.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #2101 on: June 24, 2019, 01:44:16 pm »
It's not only about cruising speed and fuel range, but also about stability and comfort.
Surprising amount of fatique can be generated by a bike that's twitchy at speed, and revs that bit higher.

Very very true that.  Horses for courses.

But most of us can't have multiple bikes so we have to pick one that suits our needs the best and then make it work in other situations.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:45:08 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2102 on: June 24, 2019, 02:37:41 pm »
It's not only about cruising speed and fuel range, but also about stability and comfort.

But most of us can't have multiple bikes so we have to pick one that suits our needs the best and then make it work in other situations.

Very true, this.....

I have a 1200 and a 650 - I am lucky, and it's a relatively light 650, but last week Monday we did a 350km round trip, I was pretty stuffed after 7 hours of riding a 650 single, and that even cruises at 120 easily....
I am not sure i can find enough advantages to adding a 500 to the mix as well...... Apart from finances....

But maybe if I get one, I can find the reasons.....  >:D
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Das Alpha Tier

« Reply #2103 on: June 24, 2019, 02:39:13 pm »

who needs reasons  :biggrin:

Very true, this.....

I have a 1200 and a 650 - I am lucky, and it's a relatively light 650, but last week Monday we did a 350km round trip, I was pretty stuffed after 7 hours of riding a 650 single, and that even cruises at 120 easily....
I am not sure i can find enough advantages to adding a 500 to the mix as well...... Apart from finances....

Offline Das Alpha Tier

« Reply #2104 on: June 24, 2019, 02:39:52 pm »

who needs reasons  :biggrin:

Very true, this.....

who needs a reason  :biggrin:

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #2105 on: June 24, 2019, 03:48:50 pm »
If the 500 did not suck at longer unsupported trips, there'd be many doing just that.

Even you fans of 500 trailer to your destinations.  It's not only about cruising speed and fuel range, but also about stability and comfort.

When you hit enduro stuff.......I cannot argue there, I'm a small bike guy myself.

Unfortunately, boring tar and endless gravel roads are as much part of D/S as knobbly tires is.

@2StrokeDan Not just us >:D

RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #2106 on: June 24, 2019, 04:01:03 pm »
Caught out!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Now what do I say?

Oh, I remember, Dave's XR could not ride that far. :peepwall: :peepwall: :pot:

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #2107 on: June 24, 2019, 04:01:13 pm »
Some points after 7000km done:

- No valve adjustment required on any of the 3 bikes (KTM might have adjusted on the 1 hour service, I'm not sure there)
- Teardown revealed no visual subframe damage.  When fully fuelled we ride with about 35KG weight on the rear (20L Fuel, 4L water, luggage)
- Chain and sprockets absolutely shot, not sure what the lifetime is supposed on these
- No oil usage whatsoever on any bike
- Small part (couple of mm deep, size of thumb nail) of the swingarm rubbed away by tyre.  Think it might be due to the tyre profile widening due to mousses
- Two bikes had the same bolt (top front left bolt that holds the plastic tappet cover) loosen, causing a minor oil strip down the engine.  Re-torquing (10nm) sorted that out.
- Two bikes had the ground wire making intermittent connection, causing the engine to miss.  Tightened bolt and never had a problem again.
- 140 tyres tend to just touch on the chain, rubbing the knobbies

Nothing special done with regards to servicing.  Interval would be about 1500 - 2000km between services on average, Pretty sure we could've stretched it, but Oil plus filter is cheap and airfilter is re-usable.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:09:48 pm by Damaraland »
RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline Das Alpha Tier

« Reply #2108 on: June 24, 2019, 04:09:48 pm »

- No valve adjustment required on any of the 3 bikes (KTM might have adjusted on the 1 hour service, I'm not sure there)
- Teardown revealed no visual subframe damage.  When fully fuelled we ride with about 35KG weight on the rear (20L Fuel, 4L water, luggage)
- Chain and sprockets absolutely shot, not sure what the lifetime is supposed on these
- Small part (couple of mm deep, size of thumb nail) of the swingarm rubbed away by tyre.  Think it might be due to the tyre profile widening due to mousses
- Two bikes had the same bolt (top front left bolt that holds the plastic tappet cover) losen, causing a very minor oil strip down the engine.  Re-torquing (10nm) sorted that out.
- Two bikes had the ground wire making intermittent connection, causing the engine to miss.  Tightened bolt and never had a problem again.
- 140 tyres tend to just touch on the chain, rubbing the knowbbies

Nothing special done with regards to servicing.  Interval would be about 1500 - 2000km between services on average, Pretty sure we could've stretched it, but Oil plus filter is cheap and airfilter is re-usable.

I checked that again, its actually that mudguard that sits in front of the rear tire that rubs on the center piece of the swingarm.

Also worth mentioning maybe. We previously ran nitrous mousses with 120/90-18 Mitas Co2 Rear. We now fitted a michelins desert race 140/80-18 for angola and two things immediately became visible.
1. Mitas tire is as tough as nails and i don't think there are a lot of similar tires when it comes to milage. We did 5500km on our first set and they were still ok.
2. The michelin desert race mousse (dont know what the number is) is absolutely awesome. We did the 1400km angola trip with all that luggage, with 300km tar sitting at 120km/h and they are still as hard as day one. If we could find a mousse like that that fits that mitas C02 perfectly it would be a 6000km no worries combination. After 6000km you would replace the tire (mitas half the price of the michelin desert race) and would do another 6000km on that mousse.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #2109 on: June 24, 2019, 04:35:12 pm »

That's kak, and the electronics doesn't like this too well.
Best to smear a little coppaslip inbetween contact areas and tighten the bolt with a bit of locktite, you'll not have this again then.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701, KTM 790 Adv R

Offline Das Alpha Tier

« Reply #2110 on: June 24, 2019, 05:05:10 pm »

That's kak, and the electronics doesn't like this too well.
Best to smear a little coppaslip inbetween contact areas and tighten the bolt with a bit of locktite, you'll not have this again then.

Mine was actually my fault. I removed the ground screw once and think i didn't put it back properly. It was quite funny though. On our first outride around the brandberg it was this awesome cool morning and we were tapping it and every time i stood up the bike would cut out and i would almost fall over the handlebars. We stopped, took seat off and quickly realised what the problem is. I heard though that these 500's are very very sensitive to the ground screw coming loose.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #2111 on: June 24, 2019, 05:56:53 pm »

- Two bikes had the same bolt (top front left bolt that holds the plastic tappet cover) loosen, causing a minor oil strip down the engine.  Re-torquing (10nm) sorted that out.
- 140 tyres tend to just touch on the chain, rubbing the knobbies

Sounds more and more like a adventure bike! :ricky: