Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500  (Read 119834 times)

Offline Damaraland

Re: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500
« Reply #2180 on: August 06, 2021, 12:15:24 pm »
For what it's worth we ride exclusively on mousses, both touring and enduro, and have not have had a single issue - touch wood.  I got 6000km on my last Michelin Desert, which works out to two tyre changes (Mitas C02 rear).  Inspect and lube the mousse every tyre change.

During those 6000km's i.e single rear-tyre life, do you re-lube the mousse, or only when the tyre is replced?

I get around 3000km on a Tyre, so the mousse will be lubed twice, at installation and then halfway through its life.  I have to emphasize I don't do high-speed riding.  On trips  top speed will be around 120, and then only short sections.  Rest of the time is spent banging around the mountains here.  Also, no tar riding and very limited gravel highway on trips.  Think lifetime of a mousse shortens drastically if you someone that really enjoys hooking it.

Attached a pic of a michelin mousse with 6000km on it.
RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #2181 on: August 06, 2021, 12:38:32 pm »
On the topic of air filters, what do you guys do to clean re-use them.  I rinse in a bit of petrol, then wash with sunlight liquid, leave out to dry and then re-oil as necessary.  Will chuck away once I see the sponge degrading. Get about 4 uses out of a single filter before they start going.

I use air filter cleaner.  When you pour it on the dirt just drops off. Keep about a liter in a bottle and rinse the filter in a small bucket.  Then pour it back into the bottle while the major dirt stays in the bucket.  Rinse bucket and rinse filter and dry filter.  Next time when I use the air filter cleaner most of the dirt has settled at the bottom which I then discard and top off with new fluid.  Filters seem to last much longer.

Turps or paraffin - not petrol which can weaken glue used in filters. Keep in a small tub and reuse it a good few times. Rinse with warm water and degreaser or Sunlight dish wash, rinse well, squeeze dry (not wring) and dry.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: AfricaOffroad, Damaraland

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #2182 on: August 06, 2021, 01:01:05 pm »
Attached a pic of a michelin mousse with 6000km on it.

I wish I could get some of those old ones from you.  They should be nice and soft for enduro riding

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #2183 on: August 06, 2021, 02:24:06 pm »

On the topic of air filters, what do you guys do to clean re-use them.  I rinse in a bit of petrol, then wash with sunlight liquid, leave out to dry and then re-oil as necessary.  Will chuck away once I see the sponge degrading. Get about 4 uses out of a single filter before they start going.

E2R also sells a sock , looks like one of those shower hats.

You ride(as in race) pull the sock off, wash, dry, back on again.
No noticeable deterioration of performance, doesn't make the engine go rich, you pull it off after the race, the air cleaner element is about as clean as it was when you put it in. 

My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #2184 on: August 06, 2021, 02:48:15 pm »

E2R also sells a sock , looks like one of those shower hats.

You ride(as in race) pull the sock off, wash, dry, back on again.
No noticeable deterioration of performance, doesn't make the engine go rich, you pull it off after the race, the air cleaner element is about as clean as it was when you put it in.

Like so?  I want one.

Used a piece of stocking on the 990 pre filter in the past which worked great.  Much easier to dry the sock after washing than drying the whole filter.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #2185 on: August 06, 2021, 04:42:38 pm »
Yes the TwinAir pre-filter socks are good - I use ones from PC Racing on the Husky. Do not use filter oil on them - just dry or light spray with Q20. The best bang for buck is actually swimming pool skimmer socks - you get packs real cheap from Takealot etc.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #2186 on: August 06, 2021, 05:03:06 pm »
@Damaraland  let me know, I can get some to Nam gor you.

I'm pedantic on preventative maintenance, and having 2 sons racing as well meant 3 filters, every weekend. Probably the job I hate the most, became a non event.

For tripping, skip the oily jiffy, it is a pain and a risk to swop out in the bundu.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #2187 on: August 26, 2021, 01:50:43 pm »
Yes the TwinAir pre-filter socks are good - I use ones from PC Racing on the Husky. Do not use filter oil on them - just dry or light spray with Q20. The best bang for buck is actually swimming pool skimmer socks - you get packs real cheap from Takealot etc.

Do you know where I can get those pool filter basket socks?  Can only find the pool gobler filters but presume they are small.