Economically adventurizing a EXC 500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damaraland

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So, I'm biting the bullet and getting a 500 EXC to join my 990.  Idea is to use the 500 for stuff like Kaokoland, Botswana cut lines and Angola.  Tours will range from between 7 to 14 days and I want to be able to rough-camp where necessary.

I've decided not to sell my 990, as I'll keep that around for the odd longer gravel tour and because I just love it so much.  As for the 500, that'll be trailered to the start of the interesting bits and then ridden from there, so no long gravel stretches of I can help it.

Now, seeing as I'm not selling the 990 I'm going to have to operate on as much of a budget as I can.  This means that I'm looking for the items that are both indispensable for adventure riding on a 500 as well as the most economical in their class.  Would prefer to buy from SA distributors if possible, but importing is also not a huge problem.

Essentials in my opinion (would love to hear from other riders also what they think is essential):
- Larger tank (need to cater for about 400km range)
- Bash plate
- Luggage rack
- Possibly touring screen

Looking forward to your input!

Edit:

This thread has grown so much and is difficult to search - here is a link to the post where I detail what we bought https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=219441.msg4038415#msg4038415