Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500  (Read 70018 times)

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Economically adventurizing a EXC 500
« Reply #820 on: April 04, 2018, 06:17:24 pm »
I know it must be hidden somewhere in this thread but cannot find it for the life of me.

Please post some pictures of your "lightweight" toolkit for the 500 - what tyre levers and other bits do you carry with?
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #821 on: April 04, 2018, 06:21:15 pm »
I know it must be hidden somewhere in this thread but cannot find it for the life of me.

Please post some pictures of your "lightweight" toolkit for the 500 - what tyre levers and other bits do you carry with?

Personally I would run mousses, no question. The new Nitro ones and a few rally spec are ideal imho  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #822 on: April 04, 2018, 07:59:22 pm »

Personally I would run mousses, no question. The new Nitro ones and a few rally spec are ideal imho  :thumleft:

+10000
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009),  KTM 950 SE(2007)
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #823 on: April 04, 2018, 08:50:28 pm »
As for the toolkit, don't forget that T45 torx bit. The usual spanners, 8, 10, 12, 13,17 and then spanners to take your wheel nuts loose, those double ended jobbies, I made mine welding 2 cheap Midas spanners together.
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.

Offline KarooKid

« Reply #824 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:03 pm »
On longer remote trips which might include some tar sections mousses might not be the answer though.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #825 on: April 04, 2018, 09:05:41 pm »
Have them lubed before the trip and try keep your speed to 100. You can also stop periodically and feel how hot your tyres are getting, remember it is only heat that destroys them. If you are going to bomb along at 150 on tar...well then rethink.
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #826 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:07 pm »
On longer remote trips which might include some tar sections mousses might not be the answer though.

Ja keep the tar and speed down - look at the liaison distances they do with mousses at the Dakar and then go racing. Admittedly they are changing mousses daily. The Nitro mousse is very tough.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #827 on: April 04, 2018, 09:17:28 pm »
As for the toolkit, don't forget that T45 torx bit. The usual spanners, 8, 10, 12, 13,17 and then spanners to take your wheel nuts loose, those double ended jobbies, I made mine welding 2 cheap Midas spanners together.

The new KTM tools have a great combo spanner that has both wheel nut spanners and a small tyre lever in one. Some include a rear suspension hook spanner as well.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #828 on: April 04, 2018, 09:22:05 pm »

I have just upgraded mine after a most epic trip to Kaokoland with Straatkat and Xpat... after not having a puncture in at least 5 years i had 8 in 10 days ... i took my front wheel and tyre off 3 times in one day

Will post pics in morning
The older I get the faster I was

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #829 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:40 am »
@BB2007 how are you getting on with the 350? I am torn between the 350 and 500

Hi Dwerg, yeah. Your question has been on my mind the last few days.

A 350 EXC... my first impression is its super light and quite a handful as a result. You can tell its designed for racing enduro's against 2-strokes.  I am really enjoying this bike. In technical its much easier to manage than any 450 or bigger bike. Bear in mind though this is also my first EFi bike too. She lacks a little bit of grunt in the low rpm's but its not too much of an issue (I am 96kg after all!) and she lacks top end speed with the standard gearing. I think if you put longer gearing on it would fly, but you would need to slip the clutch a lot more in 1st, especially in a gnarly uphill. Definitely not a 450 but a very nice alternative to a 250 (if that makes sense).

I would imagine that for long dirt roads it is not really the bike, as the new 450's are super light as well. But you are comparing against a 500? I would say this bike is the one to go for if you are going to be riding more technical trips; I would not recommend this bike for dirt highways - I think the engine would cook. The 450 & 500 have more momentum behind them, this bike feels more like a two stroke and I was missing the weight a little bit to be frank - probably just my bad technique.

For what I am riding around here at the moment, I think it may the perfect bike: Distances up to about 300km, jungle & mountain terrain, rocky riverbeds, steep gnarly hill climbs, descents and horse trails. Much slower stuff to the rally type riding I am more used to.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #830 on: April 05, 2018, 08:02:29 am »

Quote from: KarooKid on Yesterday at 06:17:24 pm>I know it must be hidden somewhere in this thread but cannot find it for the life of me.

We stock/sell an ultra-light KTM-specific toolkit, see attached pictures...
and we stock/sell the Motion Pro Bead pro forged aluminium shorty tyre levers / bead breaker combo, with the right technique, shorty levers work out well...
Cheers
Chris & team
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:07:24 am by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline KarooKid

« Reply #831 on: April 05, 2018, 08:17:17 am »
Thanks Chris - will pop in over the weekend.

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
« Reply #832 on: April 05, 2018, 08:30:02 am »

This is my toolkit

1 - Leatherman in pouch cable tied to left fork leg for quick easy access - I use this as a first resort

2 - Green canvas roll up with 3 spoon tyre levers (these are honestly the best and strongest and most user friendly levers - the blue handled Desert Fox levers are available on order at Flying Brick for R280 for the pair and come with rubber rim protectors). I have a 3rd lever because it makes fitting thick sidewalled tyres like MITAS C02 StoneKing and E09 Dakar easy. The wheel spanner is the original KTM 17/19/27/32 combo spanner with tyre lever - very strong and R145 from KTM Cape Town

3 - Black Kriega tool roll has

8mm ring and open spanner
10 mm ring and open spanner - for pinch bolts on fork legs and adjusting chain tension on swingarm
12 and 13 mm combo open spanner
Spark plug spanner
Reversible screwdriver
KTM T handle with various bits including very important T45 torx bit for subframe bolts

4 - Small BOSCH case super mini ratchet and socket set to get into really fiddly places ...including removing fuel injector from throttle body

I have every tool needed here to take off every single fastener on the bike and fix punctures - these all fit into a tailpack on rear fender and weigh 2 kgs in total
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:30:37 am by JustBendIt »

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #833 on: April 05, 2018, 08:38:52 am »
@BB2007 how are you getting on with the 350? I am torn between the 350 and 500

Hi Dwerg, yeah. Your question has been on my mind the last few days.

A 350 EXC... my first impression is its super light and quite a handful as a result. You can tell its designed for racing enduro's against 2-strokes.  I am really enjoying this bike. In technical its much easier to manage than any 450 or bigger bike. Bear in mind though this is also my first EFi bike too. She lacks a little bit of grunt in the low rpm's but its not too much of an issue (I am 96kg after all!) and she lacks top end speed with the standard gearing. I think if you put longer gearing on it would fly, but you would need to slip the clutch a lot more in 1st, especially in a gnarly uphill. Definitely not a 450 but a very nice alternative to a 250 (if that makes sense).

I would imagine that for long dirt roads it is not really the bike, as the new 450's are super light as well. But you are comparing against a 500? I would say this bike is the one to go for if you are going to be riding more technical trips; I would not recommend this bike for dirt highways - I think the engine would cook. The 450 & 500 have more momentum behind them, this bike feels more like a two stroke and I was missing the weight a little bit to be frank - probably just my bad technique.

For what I am riding around here at the moment, I think it may the perfect bike: Distances up to about 300km, jungle & mountain terrain, rocky riverbeds, steep gnarly hill climbs, descents and horse trails. Much slower stuff to the rally type riding I am more used to.

Thanks BB I think I made my mind up a long time ago actually. I am looking for a replacement for my 250 2t not my 690 so primary use will be riding at the local offroad parks and doing the odd race. It would be a bonus if it can be plated and used for the odd technical trip
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: G450X, F800GS, F650GS Twin, F650GS Single, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; 790ADV Yamaha: BWS x 2, Chappy

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #834 on: April 05, 2018, 08:41:16 am »
2 - Green canvas roll up with 3 spoon tyre levers (these are honestly the best and strongest and most user friendly levers - the blue handled Desert Fox levers are available on order at Flying Brick for R280 for the pair and come with rubber rim protectors). I have a 3rd lever because it makes fitting thick sidewalled tyres like MITAS C02 StoneKing and E09 Dakar easy. The wheel spanner is the original KTM 17/19/27/32 combo spanner with tyre lever - very strong and R145 from KTM Cape Town

. after not having a puncture in at least 5 years i had 8 in 10 days ...

8 punctures in the field gives you experience.

Why not carry the combination spanner and tyre lever units? Is it better to have dedicated tools than the combination tool?

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
« Reply #835 on: April 05, 2018, 08:45:07 am »

. after not having a puncture in at least 5 years i had 8 in 10 days ...

8 punctures in the field gives you experience.

Why not carry the combination spanner and tyre lever units? Is it better to have dedicated tools than the combination tool?

I only use the combo spanner to remove and refit wheel axle nuts ...I don't use its tyre lever part because I think it's too small and too sharp and greatly increases the risk of pinching or damaging a tube on refitting

The spoon levers have wide broad flat surfaces and are so easy to use without worrying about or being overly careful of pinching tubes

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #836 on: April 05, 2018, 08:47:27 am »
Tell us more about this socket set.  The ratchet looks nice and compact.

Where do you get it? Cost?
What is the extender on the right?

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #837 on: April 05, 2018, 08:48:43 am »
I used those blue handled tyre levers on a friends bike this past weekend - they really are excellent for small levers and that spoon shape works a treat and safest on tubes. A pair of those plus the one on the end of the KTM combo wheel spanner was all I needed. Bead breaker?  ... well use a side stand if necessary.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #838 on: April 05, 2018, 08:49:20 am »
I only use the combo spanner to remove and refit wheel axle nuts ...I don't use its tyre lever part because I think it's too small and too sharp and greatly increases the risk of pinching or damaging a tube on refitting

The spoon levers have wide broad flat surfaces and are so easy to use without worrying about or being overly careful of pinching tubes

I am referring to these levers. You can carry one tool less then.

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
    • WildWood Motorcycle Yours South Africa
« Reply #839 on: April 05, 2018, 08:50:08 am »
Beware of the KTM 17/19/27/32 tool.
If the tool or nut is slightly worn it just slips off. Been there done that and couldn't get a rear wheel off.
Best option are tire levers with dedicated spanner ends.