Knee braces vs knee guards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

africana

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Went riding on Sat, slipped in a sandy patch on a dirt road. Bike (990 Adventure) fell on my heel, pinned it down but body kept moving spraining my knee.

Wore AlpineStars MX boots and EVO knee guards. I am certain if I did not wore ATTGATT I would have definitely broken my leg/ankle/foot.

After moving the bike that pinned my leg, got going and obviously went straight home, scans, doctors and LOTS of painkillers, etc.
https://mxalliance.co.za/product/evs-epic-kneeshin-guards/ EVO knee guards I wore at the time.

Question - I know each incident is different from the other but would wearing braces like POD, Asterisk and the very expensive CIT braces (last time I looked they were something like R19 000 per pair) save the day? I bought what was in my budget at the time and after falling many times previously my EVO knee braces always did their thing but did not helped when I twisted my knee. Sure knee replacement will be much more expensive but if the general consensus lies with the very expensive braces then that is what I must get in time. Age also telling against me  ;)

What would the general recommendation for proper braces be that doesn't require a winning lottery ticket?